The Student Room Group

Is King's College London new 2017 BSc Economics programme worth considering?

"The BSc Economics programme is a new undergraduate programme for September 2017". As it is a new programme there is no statistics or data on employability, student satisfaction, average salaries etc. I am thinking of applying to KCL for Economics, however I don't know if it is a good programme, i.e. how it is rated etc. I know that KCL has a high reputation and overall world ranking but does it necessarily mean it is good at Economics? If anyone knows anything about this programme or has studied in KCL and can make some suggestions/advise that would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by max_johnson
"The BSc Economics programme is a new undergraduate programme for September 2017". As it is a new programme there is no statistics or data on employability, student satisfaction, average salaries etc. I am thinking of applying to KCL for Economics, however I don't know if it is a good programme, i.e. how it is rated etc. I know that KCL has a high reputation and overall world ranking but does it necessarily mean it is good at Economics? If anyone knows anything about this programme or has studied in KCL and can make some suggestions/advise that would be greatly appreciated.

You may experience some initial teething issues related to admin, etc. given the programme is new.

That said, I expect it will be a very good, rigorous programme. This is because KCL has over the last three years gone through an intensive recruitment drive for some leading economists/econometricians, and also, some of the modules on the course are taught not by academics but instead by industry experts, which will give you a totally different perspective.
Thank you so much! I am so happy I got an offer from King's yesterday! I am also considering Warwick, Bath, Durham and Loughborough. For my firm choice I will probably be deciding between King's and Warwick, so I just though maybe you could give me some advise as to which uni in your opinion is better for studying Economics.
Reply 3
Original post by maxjohnson
Thank you so much! I am so happy I got an offer from King's yesterday! I am also considering Warwick, Bath, Durham and Loughborough. For my firm choice I will probably be deciding between King's and Warwick, so I just though maybe you could give me some advise as to which uni in your opinion is better for studying Economics.

What was the offer you got? and what were you predicted? I'm applying to Kings, warwick and bath too!!
I got a conditional offer with requirements to get 766 (including Maths) and 35 in overall (I am doing IB). My predicted grades are 766 in HL and 41 in overall. What about you?
I got a conditional offer with requirements to get 766 (including Maths) and 35 in overall (I am doing IB). My predicted grades are 766 in HL and 41 in overall. What about you?

Congrats! I was initially applying to Kings for Economics, then changed it to Bath last minute. That doesn't mean to say I don't think it will a great programme, I had just visited Bath and loved it and thought although King's is probably higher up in world ranking and more well know, that doesn't mean everything I guess.

All the best on your application. If you can, please visit Kings and see what their dept. has to offer as I didn't and maybe if I did and liked it, I'd be applying there.
Thanks a lot! I wish you luck on your application too! I have been to King's, I went on a campus tour this April and the only thing I can say is that it was amazing, I really liked it. The location is great, King's is on Strand, right in the middle of London, which I guess means great employment opportunities. The Somerset House (one of the buildings where they have lectures) is stunning, I was really impressed at the time. The interior inside the main building is historic and they even have a chapel.

Having said all of that I am still in doubt as to whether I should choose Warwick, Bath or Kings as my firm choice :smile: Any advise?
Reply 7
Thanks a lot! I wish you luck on your application too! I have been to King's, I went on a campus tour this April and the only thing I can say is that it was amazing, I really liked it. The location is great, King's is on Strand, right in the middle of London, which I guess means great employment opportunities. The Somerset House (one of the buildings where they have lectures) is stunning, I was really impressed at the time. The interior inside the main building is historic and they even have a chapel.

Having said all of that I am still in doubt as to whether I should choose Warwick, Bath or Kings as my firm choice :smile: Any advise?

Id put Warwick and then Kings- because warwick is much more stronger in terms of reputation and employability! Where are you doing your IB at?:smile: I do A Levels:smile:
I study at ACS Egham International School. At the moment we are about to submit our final Extended and TOK Essays, everyone is so hyped about it, including myself :smile: So what school do you attend? Which unis are you applying to?

Hey there! Just thought I'd chime in. I'm a third year at LSE for Economics and Economic History. In terms of academics alone, Warwick is hands down the better choice over King's, at least for now. If you just have a look at how the third year courses are organised at both universities, you will see a lot more variety of Economics courses that King's does not offer at the moment. The advantage for King's in my opinion is that it's part of UoL, and you will be able to take courses at LSE and UCL too if you would like! First and second years for Econ will be broadly similar, but you can differentiate them very clearly at the third year. Choose wisely!
(edited 7 years ago)
I've wondered this too, is taking course that are new for that Uni generally a risk?
Original post by CookedFlower
Hey there! Just thought I'd chime in. I'm a third year at LSE for Economics and Economic History. In terms of academics alone, Warwick is hands down the better choice over King's, at least for now. If you just have a look at how the third year courses are organised at both universities, you will see a lot more variety of Economics courses that King's does not offer at the moment. The advantage for King's in my opinion is that it's part of UoL, and you will be able to take courses at LSE and UCL too if you would like! First and second years for Econ will be broadly similar, but you can differentiate them very clearly at the third year. Choose wisely!

hi there, just noticed you said you can also take courses at LSE and UCL too if you apply to kings as they are part of university of london? just wondering exactly what you mean by this? thanks!
Original post by basedpotato
hi there, just noticed you said you can also take courses at LSE and UCL too if you apply to kings as they are part of university of london? just wondering exactly what you mean by this? thanks!

Hi! They're called intercollegiate courses: http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/registrationTimetablesAssessment/Registration/Programme/Intercollegiate/home.aspx

Basically when you have a free option, you can choose whatever you want I think.
Hi! They're called intercollegiate courses: http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/registrationTimetablesAssessment/Registration/Programme/Intercollegiate/home.aspx

Basically when you have a free option, you can choose whatever you want I think.

What a level subjects did you do?
Reply 14

I'm in a similar position having applied to Warwick Kings Bath Bristol and Leeds. I have offers from a Bristol and Kings as of yet but my first choice is definitely Warwick and Kings is second but only just as Warwick came 3rd for economics in the league tables last year, however Kings is a more prestigious university and the open day was very promising in regards to the new course. Bath will be 3rd choice, Bristol 4 th and Leeds is a backup
Original post by max_johnson

The course looked really bad, very politics based as it is jointly run by politics department, so I thought nah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Willnewman234
The course looked really bad, very politics based as it is jointly run by politics department, so I thought nah

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subjects do you do at a level? It's kinda true
Maths, further maths, physics and economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have they given out many Economics offers?
Reply 19

Hey!

I'm applying to same course. Just wondering, how many points were you predicted. I'm asking to get an idea of the likelihood of being offered a place?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending