Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

My head hurts reading this, even though it is fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    This is actually a very interesting topic. I like it very much! I think that what we are exists at a level above the molecular, and that they are merely fuel for our inner self, so although the cells in our body may be constantly changing they are not innately changing our personality and perception. That is changed by our expereinces of life, the world and people. But then I wonder... how do drugs affect us so much? Ummm... a very facsinating topic.

By the way, I don't think I have all the answers; I don't even think one person can truly comprehend the many questions this raises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    This is actually a very interesting topic. I like it very much! I think that what we are exists at a level above the molecular, and that they are merely fuel for our inner self, so although the cells in our body may be constantly changing they are not innately changing our personality and perception. That is changed by our expereinces of life, the world and people. But then I wonder... how do drugs affect us so much? Ummm... a very facsinating topic.

By the way, I don't think I have all the answers; I don't even think one person can truly comprehend the many questions this raises.
    Well, when it comes to drugs they affect us so greatly because they usually block, or over-stimulate, some of the very essential functions of the braincells. In fact, they work very much in a way similar to neurotoxins and many natural venoms. As an example, cocaine prevents the brain from reabsorbing the hormones that causes us to feel well and therefore the concentrations of them increases until the nerve cells are out of it. This is also why a cocaine kick is usually followed by depression. The "feel-happy" hormones are depleted. In the long run drugs can affect our personality because every time you take them they give a powerful stimuli to our brain causing us to "learn" a behaviour which can be quite damaging. Also, many drusg are so powerful poisons that they physically alter the brains structure on the high level, something which will have devestating effects on our personality.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.