Pinixy5
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm planning to do psychology at university, so what would be a better A Level to choose. Is English better or is EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) better, if I had to choose one? What do you'll think the universities would prefer?
Rachyray
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pinixy5)
I'm planning to do psychology at university, so what would be a better A Level to choose. Is English better or is EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) better, if I had to choose one? What do you'll think the universities would prefer?
Hey, I'm a year thirteen who is currently applying to study psychology at university, and I'm doing both A level English Literature and a psychology centred EPQ. The EPQ counts as half an A level, so it is worth more than the "new" AS levels which are only worth 40% of the full A level. Most universities usually require three A levels at certain grades/points in order to gain entry, so an EPQ wouldn't count as it is not a full A level, but some universities might reduce your offer for example from AAA to AAB with an A in the EPQ.
Pinixy5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rachyray)
Hey, I'm a year thirteen who is currently applying to study psychology at university, and I'm doing both A level English Literature and a psychology centred EPQ. The EPQ counts as half an A level, so it is worth more than the "new" AS levels which are only worth 40% of the full A level. Most universities usually require three A levels at certain grades/points in order to gain entry, so an EPQ wouldn't count as it is not a full A level, but some universities might reduce your offer for example from AAA to AAB with an A in the EPQ.

Hey, I'm a Year 13 student as well, and I am doing A2 maths and psychology and AS English right now. So I'm not sure whether to drop English and choose EPQ instead. And by what your saying, is English a better option to choose rather than EPQ?
Rachyray
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pinixy5)
Hey, I'm a Year 13 student as well, and I am doing A2 maths and psychology and AS English right now. So I'm not sure whether to drop English and choose EPQ instead. And by what your saying, is English a better option to choose rather than EPQ?
Ahh okay! I'd say your safest bet is to probably stick with English. However, if you really hate it then check with the universities you'd like to apply to and see what they make of it. The EPQ is pretty independent though, so I guess it really depends on what you feel you're strongest at
Pinixy5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rachyray)
Ahh okay! I'd say your safest bet is to probably stick with English. However, if you really hate it then check with the universities you'd like to apply to and see what they make of it. The EPQ is pretty independent though, so I guess it really depends on what you feel you're strongest at

Hey, thanks a lot for your advice. I was really confused first but now I think like you said I'll stick with English, to be safe. Thanks again. :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads