Turn on thread page Beta

Small high school community relationship problem watch

ReputationRep:
    So... I have a pretty big crush on a girl that goes to school with me. There seem to be a few other guys who like her too, but I'm not sure. We have several common interests, but I don't want to ruin our friendship by just telling her I like her upfront. I can't ask her out because my parents would make a MASSIVE deal out of it, so what do I do?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Shibex)
    So... I have a pretty big crush on a girl that goes to school with me. There seem to be a few other guys who like her too, but I'm not sure. We have several common interests, but I don't want to ruin our friendship by just telling her I like her upfront. I can't ask her out because my parents would make a MASSIVE deal out of it, so what do I do?
    To me when someone says 'I don't want to ruin the friendship' in this context or when they break up with their partner and say 'let's be friends' or something like that, in those situations they are wanting to hang on to whatever they have with someone when really it'd be better for them to make a move and then go their seperate ways if it doesn't work out.

It's great that you have several common interests, and to be honest you're better off asking her out and spending time with her, possibly using those things you have in common, maybe something generic like going to the cinema (not great for proper dates, I find, but good for going 'as a friend' or hanging out somewhere.. You haven't said how or why your parents would make a massive deal out of it or whether it'd be bad for you.. but to me that would be a good way forward.

I get that it's a small community so people would find out if you asked her out and then your parents would.. but look at it this way, if you told her then the same effect would probably happen so best to ask her out as surreptitiously as possible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.