Turn on thread page Beta

Calling all extroverts... eeeeek. :O watch

ReputationRep:
    Well.

I'd personally class myself as an extrovert, + I honestly, honestly hate it. I often wonder if there is anyone out there who is similar. Can us extroverts all just use this thread to be cutesy + relatable so I can feel loved + connected. Thanks.

Being a person who gains their energy from surrounding myself with others means that when I'm feeling alone, I feel really alone.

During those moments I will do whatever it takes to get social + if that means texting everyone in my contact book for a conversation then that's exactly what happens.

The thing is, straight after I've done something like that.. I soon become exhausted bc they usually all respond at the same time + I end up dying.

I feel like there are so many disadvantages to being extroverted but today I'm only going to talk about a few of them:

1) Oversharing:

It's like I trust anyone + everyone. I don't keep anything to myself bc I don't care that I'm sharing. I wish I did care but it literally doesn't bother me, well ofc it bothers me but I don't realise I'm doing it until afterwards. In addition, sometimes this means I'll talk about the most mundane topics for hours or give unsolicited information which makes people feel overwhelmed by my oversharing.

Oversharing, ofc, comes hand in hand with talking too much + repeating yourself. The funniest thing is I don't realise it. I don't know how to speak in a socially acceptable manner. How do I learn. It's so humiliating, bc you become aware way too late + you're trying to reign it in but by that time everyone's already dead, most probably due to your story about your pencil pot or the new collar you bought for that neighbour's dog or that one time when...

Just bc we talk lots, doesn't mean we aren't good listeners bc I'm quite possibly the best listener ever.

I sometimes feel like I talk just to talk. I would happily talk about gibberish bc it's still talking so it strangely satisfies me. People usually perceive this as confidence + as a result think we don't ever feel shy/awkward/embarrassed + they couldn't be more wrong.. Awkward could be my middle name. I do things without thinking + then I'm like: oops, maybe that wasn't a good idea + it's terrible + embarrassing + *cue death*.

The thing is as an extrovert I seemingly don't care about it.

Only that's a lie, I care too much. I throw way too much into everything then I'm a wreck.

2) Clingliness:

Since I feel better once I've socially interacted it means that I could be asking to meet up with the same person like everyday + it may come off as an obsession or needy bc the person is like:

"but we saw each other 2 hours ago"!?

+ then I'm like:

"YES, BUT BABY I NEED YOU".

This is particularly hard when the friend is an introvert cause whilst I'm there thriving + recharging on all this social interaction, they're just becoming even more drained + most probably want to leave.

Ahhh.. Horrible cycle.

It sounds so silly, but when I'm left alone for an excessive period of time.. I'm quite literally in despair.

Almost deprived of a necessity.

Furthermore, I get the impression that people only like me in small doses bc when I do meet up with friends, I tend to get really intense + too passionate when I'm having conversations bc I rlly like discussions + talking about things from different viewpoints + I've found that I sometimes actually say things that I don't actually believe in bc I just like knowing the reasons behind things. I suppose I subconsciously provoke others to receive a stimulating answer bc it's so satisfying + it comes across as so argumentative but I'm curious which puts people off bc everything always feels too serious. Tho this happens with my sibling too + she hates it when I get too pedantic over stuff. I don't consider it like that tho, I just find it interesting + rather fun.

3) Loneliness:

So people are cool + I need them. Not just one person cause it doesn't feel like it's enough. Lots + lots + lots of people is usually nice. It's hard when most of your friends are really far away. If I'm lacking that irl, then social media helps a little but it isn't enough at all.

Simultaneously, there's only so many meet ups + conversations you can handle so after you've arranged so much when you were desperately in need of fuel, once your tank is filled.. You feel exhausted + you regret all that arranging.

It feels a little contradicting when I'm upset bc I 'need' to talk to everyone but simultaneously I don't want to bc well, ppftt.. I'm sad.

So I feel even more low bc I don't have anyone to talk to but that's only bc I'm refusing the interaction myself.

That's why I love going to coffee shops when I'm in such a mood bc they're the most socially unsocial place ever. The buzzing people atmosphere just makes me feel good but I'm alone at the same time + it's literally perfection.

Another thing that a lot of people, I feel struggle to understand is that you always want to talk to people. ALWAYS.

Particularly if there's something bothering you, I will always struggle to understand how introverts manage to contain it. Or at least, that's what it looks like.

When I'm confused/sad/happy, I really need to just SHARE.

The awful thing is I don't actually need their opinion; which sometimes makes people feel used, or discounted. I don't want them to feel that way, so I usually ask for their opinion, and of course often people have something relatively interesting to say, but most of the time it's completelyyy irrelevant to my "sorting-out" process and I have to be very careful not to alienate people by seeming like I'm not listening. Infact, I am listening, but I can't integrate on the fly their new stuff with the old stuff that I haven't yet thought through.

I truly just need to get the thoughts OUT of my system by talking. Other extroverts are much better for this process, because they understand.

If I can't find someone to talk to, I just talk to myself bc it means I can work it all out + sort through it.

It's basically like a full time office job, cause you're constantly filing your papers + shredding stuff, except the difference is you're doing it with your mind + you're not getting paid.

For anyone who doesn't understand, the best way to explain is like the people around you are like the shredders + folders so if you have no people, you can't sort stuff out + if you can't sort stuff out then you're left with a mind full of clutter + disorganisation.

In addition, unlike introversion where I believe you would prefer talking to one person if you've got a problem .. With extroversion a single individual is never enough.

Sharing it with at least two people usually makes me feel semi better.

But then I don't like sharing really personal things with more than one person bc I do value my privacy so it's incredibly conflicting.

+ ofc, my oversharing makes people think that they can share my secrets too. People are so incredibly bizarre. I may be open but I do only tell people stuff who I deem to be trustworthy + I do mind if it's shared to others + they need to stop it...! ;-;

Hence why I use this site cause it's all anonymous + I can sort of share with millions of people.

Otherwise, I feel like I haven't sorted it out properly + haven't ranted enough.

I feel that people misunderstand this + consider it to be attention seeking or they feel like their advice wasn't valid so I went to seek some more but their advice was perfectly valid + really it's just bc I need more opinions + it allows me to weigh up the situation + put it into perspective.

It's just so refreshing.

I literally feed on human companionship.

I was talking to this elderly woman on the bus the other day about hydrogen fuel + she was so lovely + that brief conversation just provided so much 'ping'. >.<

Though in particular areas I don't enjoy stranger interaction at all, + that is when I'm in places like the opticians or dentists or places where they should not talk to me if I am there for an appointment bc I believe that disrupts my appointment.

Tbh, I don't even have to do anything just having another person there makes me feel better. I could call someone + not talk to them for the entire hour or two + it'd be so nice bc their presence on the other side whilst they get through their daily tasks is just so comforting.

Don't get me wrong, there are moments when there's nothing more I need than being with me, myself and I whilst blocking out the entire human race + additionally, I do v much love Netflix + dying. - I'd just rather do it with a friend. I prefer that extra person.

I suppose this thread was just another mind de-clutter.

I mean, I'm sitting here seemingly complaining about my personality trait but the truth is I wouldn't have it any other way.

Of course I wouldn't, I am the introverted extrovert .. an ENTP after all. (isn't that so awesome - I know. :O)

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crack-pot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.

~ Thomas J. Watson

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an extrovert but if you ever need to talk I'm here

ReputationRep:
    :hello:

ReputationRep:
    Being an introvert >>>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)

Quote of the day

still aren't introverts the lonely people?

I am an introvert and thought being an introvert is so hard because it's hard for me socialize properly,takes long to trust close friends and I always go into a world of my own and not as popular as the extroverts.But I see both extroverts and introverts have problems...

ReputationRep:
    OMG you just summed me up

Well.

I'd personally class myself as an extrovert, + I honestly, honestly hate it. I often wonder if there is anyone out there who is similar. Can us extroverts all just use this thread to be cutesy + relatable so I can feel loved + connected. Thanks.

Being a person who gains their energy from surrounding myself with others means that when I'm feeling alone, I feel really alone.

During those moments I will do whatever it takes to get social + if that means texting everyone in my contact book for a conversation then that's exactly what happens.

The thing is, straight after I've done something like that.. I soon become exhausted bc they usually all respond at the same time + I end up dying.

I feel like there are so many disadvantages to being extroverted but today I'm only going to talk about a few of them:

1) Oversharing:

It's like I trust anyone + everyone. I don't keep anything to myself bc I don't care that I'm sharing. I wish I did care but it literally doesn't bother me, well ofc it bothers me but I don't realise I'm doing it until afterwards. In addition, sometimes this means I'll talk about the most mundane topics for hours or give unsolicited information which makes people feel overwhelmed by my oversharing.

Oversharing, ofc, comes hand in hand with talking too much + repeating yourself. The funniest thing is I don't realise it. I don't know how to speak in a socially acceptable manner. How do I learn. It's so humiliating, bc you become aware way too late + you're trying to reign it in but by that time everyone's already dead, most probably due to your story about your pencil pot or the new collar you bought for that neighbour's dog or that one time when...

Just bc we talk lots, doesn't mean we aren't good listeners bc I'm quite possibly the best listener ever.

I sometimes feel like I talk just to talk. I would happily talk about gibberish bc it's still talking so it strangely satisfies me. People usually perceive this as confidence + as a result think we don't ever feel shy/awkward/embarrassed + they couldn't be more wrong.. Awkward could be my middle name. I do things without thinking + then I'm like: oops, maybe that wasn't a good idea + it's terrible + embarrassing + *cue death*.

Only that's a lie, I care too much. I throw way too much into everything then I'm a wreck.

2) Clingliness:

Since I feel better once I've socially interacted it means that I could be asking to meet up with the same person like everyday + it may come off as an obsession or needy bc the person is like:

+ then I'm like:

This is particularly hard when the friend is an introvert cause whilst I'm there thriving + recharging on all this social interaction, they're just becoming even more drained + most probably want to leave.

Ahhh.. Horrible cycle.

It sounds so silly, but when I'm left alone for an excessive period of time.. I'm quite literally in despair.

Furthermore, I get the impression that people only like me in small doses bc when I do meet up with friends, I tend to get really intense + too passionate when I'm having conversations bc I rlly like discussions + talking about things from different viewpoints + I've found that I sometimes actually say things that I don't actually believe in bc I just like knowing the reasons behind things. I suppose I subconsciously provoke others to receive a stimulating answer bc it's so satisfying + it comes across as so argumentative but I'm curious which puts people off bc everything always feels too serious. Tho this happens with my sibling too + she hates it when I get too pedantic over stuff. I don't consider it like that tho, I just find it interesting + rather fun.

3) Loneliness:

So people are cool + I need them. Not just one person cause it doesn't feel like it's enough. Lots + lots + lots of people is usually nice. It's hard when most of your friends are really far away. If I'm lacking that irl, then social media helps a little but it isn't enough at all.

Simultaneously, there's only so many meet ups + conversations you can handle so after you've arranged so much when you were desperately in need of fuel, once your tank is filled.. You feel exhausted + you regret all that arranging.

It feels a little contradicting when I'm upset bc I 'need' to talk to everyone but simultaneously I don't want to bc well, ppftt.. I'm sad.

So I feel even more low bc I don't have anyone to talk to but that's only bc I'm refusing the interaction myself.

That's why I love going to coffee shops when I'm in such a mood bc they're the most socially unsocial place ever. The buzzing people atmosphere just makes me feel good but I'm alone at the same time + it's literally perfection.

Another thing that a lot of people, I feel struggle to understand is that you always want to talk to people. ALWAYS.

Particularly if there's something bothering you, I will always struggle to understand how introverts manage to contain it. Or at least, that's what it looks like.

The awful thing is I don't actually need their opinion; which sometimes makes people feel used, or discounted. I don't want them to feel that way, so I usually ask for their opinion, and of course often people have something relatively interesting to say, but most of the time it's completelyyy irrelevant to my "sorting-out" process and I have to be very careful not to alienate people by seeming like I'm not listening. Infact, I am listening, but I can't integrate on the fly their new stuff with the old stuff that I haven't yet thought through.

I truly just need to get the thoughts OUT of my system by talking. Other extroverts are much better for this process, because they understand.

If I can't find someone to talk to, I just talk to myself bc it means I can work it all out + sort through it.

It's basically like a full time office job, cause you're constantly filing your papers + shredding stuff, except the difference is you're doing it with your mind + you're not getting paid.

For anyone who doesn't understand, the best way to explain is like the people around you are like the shredders + folders so if you have no people, you can't sort stuff out + if you can't sort stuff out then you're left with a mind full of clutter + disorganisation.

In addition, unlike introversion where I believe you would prefer talking to one person if you've got a problem .. With extroversion a single individual is never enough.

But then I don't like sharing really personal things with more than one person bc I do value my privacy so it's incredibly conflicting.

+ ofc, my oversharing makes people think that they can share my secrets too. People are so incredibly bizarre. I may be open but I do only tell people stuff who I deem to be trustworthy + I do mind if it's shared to others + they need to stop it...! ;-;

Hence why I use this site cause it's all anonymous + I can sort of share with millions of people.

Otherwise, I feel like I haven't sorted it out properly + haven't ranted enough.

I feel that people misunderstand this + consider it to be attention seeking or they feel like their advice wasn't valid so I went to seek some more but their advice was perfectly valid + really it's just bc I need more opinions + it allows me to weigh up the situation + put it into perspective.

It's just so refreshing.

I was talking to this elderly woman on the bus the other day about hydrogen fuel + she was so lovely + that brief conversation just provided so much 'ping'. >.<

Though in particular areas I don't enjoy stranger interaction at all, + that is when I'm in places like the opticians or dentists or places where they should not talk to me if I am there for an appointment bc I believe that disrupts my appointment.

Tbh, I don't even have to do anything just having another person there makes me feel better. I could call someone + not talk to them for the entire hour or two + it'd be so nice bc their presence on the other side whilst they get through their daily tasks is just so comforting.

Don't get me wrong, there are moments when there's nothing more I need than being with me, myself and I whilst blocking out the entire human race + additionally, I do v much love Netflix + dying. - I'd just rather do it with a friend. I prefer that extra person.

I mean, I'm sitting here seemingly complaining about my personality trait but the truth is I wouldn't have it any other way.

Of course I wouldn't, I am the introverted extrovert .. an ENTP after all. (isn't that so awesome - I know. :O)

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crack-pot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.

~ Thomas J. Watson

ReputationRep:
    I have all these issues but I would class myself as an introvert. I dunno.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Well.
    Intro:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1) Oversharing:
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's like I trust anyone + everyone. I don't keep anything to myself bc I don't care that I'm sharing. I wish I did care but it literally doesn't bother me, well of course it bothers me but I don't realise I'm doing it until afterwards. In addition, sometimes this means I'll talk about the most mundane topics for hours or give unsolicited information which makes people feel overwhelmed by my oversharing.

2) Clingliness:
    Spoiler:
    Show

+ then I'm like:
    Ahhh.. Horrible cycle.

3) Loneliness:
    Spoiler:
    Show

4) Another thing that a lot of people, I feel struggle to understand is that you always want to talk to people. ALWAYS.
    Spoiler:
    Show

The awful thing is I don't actually need their opinion; which sometimes makes people feel used, or discounted. I don't want them to feel that way, so I usually ask for their opinion, and of course often people have something relatively interesting to say, but most of the time it's completely irrelevant to my "sorting-out" process and I have to be very careful not to alienate people by seeming like I'm not listening. In fact, I am listening, but I can't integrate on the fly their new stuff with the old stuff that I haven't yet thought through.

In addition, unlike introversion where I believe you would prefer talking to one person if you've got a problem .. 5) With extroversion a single individual is never enough.
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's just so refreshing.
    6) Random stories:
    Spoiler:
    Show

~ Thomas J. Watson
    Wow. That's a long OP. The longest in fact I think I've ever seen.
    OK Tolstoy, let's break this down. I consider myself an extrovert, but some of these traits I do not see within myself.
    Intro:
    I think you're using this thread for emotional dependency.
    Think positive
    Yes I overshare. But I tend to try and gauge how comfortable people are with the topic of discussion. Though occasionally: I don't really care...
    In terms of introverts and clinging I find it's the other way round. Because I tend to be fearless of any social situation, (I once called the Lord Mayor "you!"), my introvert friends like to hide behind me.
    I feel that it's good you're writing down your thoughts. Perhaps it's best talking to someone close to you about this. Because I feel that you should be confident alone and with other people, in whichever form that that may entail.
    I guess introverts internalise their problems either because they don't want to embarrass themselves, or because they don't want to worry others. I think keeping things open is by far the best way to go. But neither side likes to talk about them. Just either release or internalise.
    Now this is a contradiction. You say you want to tell the world, but only want certain people to know. Now, when I reveal something I am prepared for it to spread because that its human nature unless you explicitly ask people not to tell. Even then, you need to make them seewhy this is personal to you.
    That's nice

Love the quotation.
    It's been fun talking.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Yep, I'm defo an extrovert (74% to be exact) according to some test I took back in September. Not at all surprised lel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HS2030)
    OMG you just summed me up
    twinsies wot

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.