Turn on thread page Beta

How many driving lessons does it take to pass practical watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, So I've passed my theory test and I'm looking at doing my practical as soon as possible but I've never driven & I wanted to know how many lessons do you have to take until your ready to do your practical test??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _madiha1)
    Hi, So I've passed my theory test and I'm looking at doing my practical as soon as possible but I've never driven & I wanted to know how many lessons do you have to take until your ready to do your practical test??
    On average 30-40 hours. if you know your theory, much less.

ReputationRep:
    It just depends on how fast a learner you are, no one here can tell you how many lessons you'll need.
    I've done about 32hrs (passed theory before I started learning) and I'm gonna end up doing around 40 hours before I sit my test. The average is around 30-40 hrs but it's not uncommon for someone to pass in 15-20 or 50+. It just depends on how fast you pick it up

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you have one hour a week then you will definitely take more hours than someone who is having multiple lessons or longer lessons a week. The more effort you put into learning, the faster you'll pick it up.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how quick you pick driving up and how many hours/lessons per week you take for lessons

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    same number as your age + some practice in between with family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    No not really

ReputationRep:
    20 / 40 With the instructor is 'average'

and 20 private practice.

ReputationRep:
    The government gives an average of 45 hours with instructor
    And 20 hours private (with friends/ family)

However this fluctuates greatly from person to person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    I wish. . . Though that being said, I've been told that the younger you are the faster you pick it up.
    How much would you say 'some practice in between with family' is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    I wish. . . Though that being said, I've been told that the younger you are the faster you pick it up.
    How much would you say 'some practice in between with family' is?
    A think an hour or so and a parental row every weekend is sufficient to build consolidate skills learnt with your instructor and to build character.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 20 is the minimum with no practice, but you can get away with 10 if you practice between lessons.

ReputationRep:
    It's one of those things you can't quite put a number on. Perhaps 30+ and I say this because even if you pick up how to drive very quickly, there's still many other factors to consider like how you deal with tricky situations which could occur on your test and you need to be able to demonstrate that you'll be able to deal with it to some degree.

Then there's also your examiner. So you might be a great driver but if your examiner is meh, then you might not pass right away.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 12 lessons in and still only working on right/left turns and a bit of clutch control. I'm a really nervous driver and not very good at multitasking, so I would say it will take me maybe 50 to 60 hours to really get the hang of things before I'm anywhere near ready for a test. I'm taking 2 lessons a week which has helped me retain things a bit better, but I am still quite bad under pressure.
    I know other people who were already on dual carriageways by the 10th lesson and already starting on roundabouts etc.
    So it really depends on you as a person, how nervous you are, how quickly you pick things up, how good you are at using your initiative and how easy it is for you to retain the information learnt from your last lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I'm 12 lessons in and still only working on right/left turns and a bit of clutch control. I'm a really nervous driver and not very good at multitasking, so I would say it will take me maybe 50 to 60 hours to really get the hang of things before I'm anywhere near ready for a test. I'm taking 2 lessons a week which has helped me retain things a bit better, but I am still quite bad under pressure.
    I know other people who were already on dual carriageways by the 10th lesson and already starting on roundabouts etc.
    So it really depends on you as a person, how nervous you are, how quickly you pick things up, how good you are at using your initiative and how easy it is for you to retain the information learnt from your last lesson.
    I was kind of the same. I found is fascinating that people were on main roads and driving themselves home by the 3rd hour while I was still doing left and right turns

ReputationRep:
    daul carriageways on the 10th lesson?

I went on my 2nd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)

I went on my 2nd
    We're all different. I went on my first dual carriageway probably around my 13th hour or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I was kind of the same. I found is fascinating that people were on main roads and driving themselves home by the 3rd hour while I was still doing left and right turns
    Exactly how I feel. I was proud of myself for just about learning how to handle the clutch by the 6th or 7th lesson. We've been working on left and right turns for the last 4 lessons, still just driving around my area / up to the corner shops. I haven't gone anywhere near the main road yet, I think because my instructor can tell that I'm still pretty nervous even when it's just one car that approaches me from in front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)

I went on my 2nd
    See what I mean.... some people pick it up really fast and know exactly what they're doing and could probably pass in about 20 hours.
    I was stalling and causing delays every time we drove up to the corner shops until at least my 7th lesson. I've had 12 lessons now and still not great at steering/turning and I get really nervous and panic when he tells me to do 2+ things at once which is why he hasn't taken me onto the main roads yet. When I'm turning I'm still either too wide or cutting it too fast and almost hitting the curb (which my instructor gets really angry at me about). So I think it will probably take me twice the amount of time it takes the average person to pass.

ReputationRep:
    See what I mean.... some people pick it up really fast and know exactly what they're doing and could probably pass in about 20 hours.
    I was stalling and causing delays every time we drove up to the corner shops until at least my 7th lesson. I've had 12 lessons now and still not great at steering/turning and I get really nervous and panic when he tells me to do 2+ things at once which is why he hasn't taken me onto the main roads yet. When I'm turning I'm still either too wide or cutting it too fast and almost hitting the curb (which my instructor gets really angry at me about). So I think it will probably take me twice the amount of time it takes the average person to pass.
    I'd switch instructors he/she shouldn't get angry at you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.