Turn on thread page Beta

My Computer not recognising my External Hard Drive watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey folks,

Thought some of you IT experts might be able to help. I have a Seagate Expansion Portable Hard Drive (HD) 500GB. When plugged into *any* Windows computer - the light turns on and I can hear a spinning sound - which is quite normal. I can also see that the external HD is discoverable (there is an option to remove the device safely) but it doesn't show up under my devices in My Computer as it should normally do. I checked the USB cable that connects the external HD to the PC but this seems fine. I also tried using a different USB cable but still no response from my external HD.

I would be eternally grateful if you would be able to assist me on this as I have valuable files in the external HD.

Thanks in advance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you open the device manager (control panel, hardware, device manager) does it show up?

What about if you open up the disk management tool built into windows (create and format hard disk partitions)? Does it show up there? If so does it show up as a healthy volume, with allocated space?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    If you open the device manager (control panel, hardware, device manager) does it show up?

What about if you open up the disk management tool built into windows (create and format hard disk partitions)? Does it show up there? If so does it show up as a healthy volume, with allocated space?
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes it shows up on Device Manager however with just "Portable Drive" Instead of Seagate Expansion Drive.

It does show up on disk management tool. It shows as healthy with the allocated space. However, when I right click the drive the only option is to "Delete Volume".

Any other suggestions?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jhyzone)
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes it shows up on Device Manager however with just "Portable Drive" Instead of Seagate Expansion Drive.

It does show up on disk management tool. It shows as healthy with the allocated space. However, when I right click the drive the only option is to "Delete Volume".

Any other suggestions?
    Can you take a printscreen of where it only has the option to delete volume? I'm guessing all the other options are greyed out?

How long has this been going on for? Can you think of what you were doing the last time it worked?

I was initially going to guess it was a driver problem, perhaps a corrupt update and suggest removing the driver in the device manager. Then plug the drive back in and let Windows find the appropriate driver. But it doesn't sound like that would solve it.

Since the drive shows up and windows recognises that there is a device it could be something related to the format of the hard drive. I'm guessing for whatever reason Windows doesn't recognise the external drive as an NTFS device (or whatever format you are using).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Can you take a printscreen of where it only has the option to delete volume? I'm guessing all the other options are greyed out?

How long has this been going on for? Can you think of what you were doing the last time it worked?

I was initially going to guess it was a driver problem, perhaps a corrupt update and suggest removing the driver in the device manager. Then plug the drive back in and let Windows find the appropriate driver. But it doesn't sound like that would solve it.

Since the drive shows up and windows recognises that there is a device it could be something related to the format of the hard drive. I'm guessing for whatever reason Windows doesn't recognise the external drive as an NTFS device (or whatever format you are using).
    Please find attached screenshots of what I see in Disk Management. Disk 5 is the external hard drive and the second photo shows the only option to "Delete Volume" after right clicking the partition.

I've recently just found out that the external hard drive has been unresponsive (last week maybe). It has been nearly a year since I last accessed the External Hard Drive. Last time, I think I was transferring files from my laptop to the external hard drive.

I actually tried uninstalling the drive and then plugging back in - also checked for updates but there wasn't any. Still the same problem occur.

Please tell me more about this:

Cheers.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    did you get an installation CD with your drive ? if so you could run it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    did you get an installation CD with your drive ? if so you could run it again.
    No, there was not any that came with the external hard drive, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    No, there was not any that came with the external hard drive, unfortunately.
    Has the drive worked OK previously with the computer it is currently plugged into ?

If so then perhaps you could try a System Restore to the time when it last worked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Has the drive worked OK previously with the computer it is currently plugged into ?

If so then perhaps you could try a System Restore to the time when it last worked.
    Yes it has worked previously with the the computer it is currently plugged into.

I'm not really entirely familiar with System Restore - what should I do?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    i use XP...

select...

i) start

ii) all programs

iii) accessories

iv) system tools

v) system restore

vi) Restore my computer to an earlier time

select an earlier date in bold on the calendar & continue from there.

if you do not have XP you can find help online:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...ystem-restore/

for instance

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Please find attached screenshots of what I see in Disk Management. Disk 5 is the external hard drive and the second photo shows the only option to "Delete Volume" after right clicking the partition.

I've recently just found out that the external hard drive has been unresponsive (last week maybe). It has been nearly a year since I last accessed the External Hard Drive. Last time, I think I was transferring files from my laptop to the external hard drive.

I actually tried uninstalling the drive and then plugging back in - also checked for updates but there wasn't any. Still the same problem occur.

Please tell me more about this:

Cheers.
    Okay I think I can see the problem now. In the Disk Management software Windows isn't assigning the disk a letter. I can see the C: drive as well as H: and D: but the external drive isn't being given a letter. Are you able to right click on the left where it says Disk 5, Basic, 465GB, etc. and select change drive letter and paths?

Windows does at least recognise a disk and actie partitions so it doesn't look like there's any issues of corruption. It just seems like for whatever reason Windows doesn't want to give it a drive letter. If you're not able to assign a letter with Disk Management try doing it with DiskPart:

Open disk part (Windows + R, diskpart)
    list volume
    select volume (number) (whatever volume the 465.44GB volume is)
    assign

Quick printscreen of what it looks like when I do it on an external USB drive (ignore me using list disk, just wanted to make sure my USB was showing up):

Name:  DiskPart.fw.png
Views: 79
Size:  110.9 KB

If that also doesn't work can you grab a printscreen of what happens in DiskPart?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Okay I think I can see the problem now. In the Disk Management software Windows isn't assigning the disk a letter. I can see the C: drive as well as H: and D: but the external drive isn't being given a letter. Are you able to right click on the left where it says Disk 5, Basic, 465GB, etc. and select change drive letter and paths?

Windows does at least recognise a disk and actie partitions so it doesn't look like there's any issues of corruption. It just seems like for whatever reason Windows doesn't want to give it a drive letter. If you're not able to assign a letter with Disk Management try doing it with DiskPart:

Open disk part (Windows + R, diskpart)
    list volume
    select volume (number) (whatever volume the 465.44GB volume is)
    assign

Quick printscreen of what it looks like when I do it on an external USB drive (ignore me using list disk, just wanted to make sure my USB was showing up):

Name:  DiskPart.fw.png
Views: 79
Size:  110.9 KB

If that also doesn't work can you grab a printscreen of what happens in DiskPart?
    No, there is no option for me to change drive letter and paths on disk management other than "Delete Volume" after right clicking the 465.44 GB Partition.

This is what I see after Diskpart. There is no volume showing after "List Volume" with the 465.44 GB hence I could not assign a letter but after "list disk" it appears:

Any further ideas?
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, there is no option for me to change drive letter and paths on disk management other than "Delete Volume" after right clicking the 465.44 GB Partition.

This is what I see after Diskpart. There is no volume showing after "List Volume" with the 465.44 GB hence I could not assign a letter but after "list disk" it appears:

Any further ideas?
    Well it is recognising the 200MB partition but nothing else. My best guess there is the partition is in some way corrupt which explains why windows doesn't recognise it. Could be corruption on the partition or with the partition table. I'm guessing the partition table since that's the bit that tells Windows there's a partition there in the first place.

Try downloading TestDisk:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

With some luck you might be able to recover, restore or rebuild the partition table for the drive. Beyond that I'm out of ideas. Something is clearly wrong with the partition of the partition table so you'd need to start looking for something that can restore or repair whichever one has the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Well it is recognising the 200MB partition but nothing else. My best guess there is the partition is in some way corrupt which explains why windows doesn't recognise it. Could be corruption on the partition or with the partition table. I'm guessing the partition table since that's the bit that tells Windows there's a partition there in the first place.

Try downloading TestDisk:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

With some luck you might be able to recover, restore or rebuild the partition table for the drive. Beyond that I'm out of ideas. Something is clearly wrong with the partition of the partition table so you'd need to start looking for something that can restore or repair whichever one has the issue.
    Hey, I think I found the problem. When I used EaseUS Data Recovery Software it showing my external hard drive as "Lost Partition"- what could this mean? I tried recovering some files but I am unable to recover other files that are lost or missing. I'm guessing the last resort if to reformat the external hard drive. After reformatting do you think I should be able to recover the original files in the external hard drive?

I have not looked into TestDisk deeply as it look very complicated! I don't want to mess the external hard drive further. I'll try to look into it when I have a fresh mind.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey, I think I found the problem. When I used EaseUS Data Recovery Software it showing my external hard drive as "Lost Partition"- what could this mean? I tried recovering some files but I am unable to recover other files that are lost or missing. I'm guessing the last resort if to reformat the external hard drive. After reformatting do you think I should be able to recover the original files in the external hard drive?

I have not looked into TestDisk deeply as it look very complicated! I don't want to mess the external hard drive further. I'll try to look into it when I have a fresh mind.
    Well that basically confirms what I said before about the partition being damged in some way.

I don't recommend reformatting the drive, that'll simply wipe the data (or more specifically the data that tells your hard drive where a file is). There's no sense wiping it and trying to recover the data because you have more working data to play with at the moment. Wiping or otherwise formatting the drive would be a step backward. If you were that concerned about losing the data make a bit by bit copy of the dead drive and try things with that. If you mess up you still have the original to work with.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.