Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just get CGP's MathsBuster. It's fantastic. Also, in terms of how hard the new Maths GCSE is, it's definitely a rather big step up from the previous spec, but I'm sure you'll be fine. However, it won't be graded from A*-G anymore, it will be graded from 9-1.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    As you are over 16, if you are thinking of taking the exam next June then you would be able to take the old specification. This would be a good idea as the new spec is much more challenging, and looks for marks in a different way to the old spec so you would have a better chance of a higher grade in the old spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    As you are over 16, if you are thinking of taking the exam next June then you would be able to take the old specification. This would be a good idea as the new spec is much more challenging, and looks for marks in a different way to the old spec so you would have a better chance of a higher grade in the old spec.
    Are you sure about this and could you possibly provide evidence
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Throwaway420)
    Yes I am sure, but the last opportunity to retake the old spec is June 2017.
    I would suggest reading the pdf at the top of this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...s-and-a-levels
    or the pdf entitled resit availability and frequently asked questions on this link:https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...e-changes.html
    These both confirm that anyone over 16 can take these exams in June 2017

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwaway420)
    Lemur14 is correct and you will find confirmation on every examiners web site.

However, not every centre will offer these "legacy" GCSE resits, mine will not, so you may need to do some hunting around to find one that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Lemur14 is correct and you will find confirmation on every examiners web site.

However, not every centre will offer these "legacy" GCSE resits, mine will not, so you may need to do some hunting around to find one that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many sixth forms will offer them, as they will have students who did not get their C in November, so need another chance to retake. Good point though, as some won't, it hadn't really occurred to me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Many sixth forms will offer them, as they will have students who did not get their C in November, so need another chance to retake. Good point though, as some won't, it hadn't really occurred to me lol
    You are right, many sixth forms will need to offer it but...... I've checked locally with colleagues and only about half of the sixth forms/colleges are planning to do the legacy resits this summer - none of them are accepting private candidates. One that usually does take private candidates is waiting for their November resit results to decide. Based on this very limited research I would advise anyone wanting to do it to sort out a centre before Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    You are right, many sixth forms will need to offer it but...... I've checked locally with colleagues and only about half of the sixth forms/colleges are planning to do the legacy resits this summer - none of them are accepting private candidates. One that usually does take private candidates is waiting for their November resit results to decide. Based on this very limited research I would advise anyone wanting to do it to sort out a centre before Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow would never have expected it to be that low! Yes, anyone who wants to resit definitely should sort out a centre ASAP, though most centres would expect to be sorted out by March at the absolute latest as they won't want to do late entries etc. if they can avoid it, so I'm sure that looking now is quite normal.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.