Turn on thread page Beta

Making a decision please can i have some opinions watch

ReputationRep:
    hello, I'm now in college doing a general sports diploma and i really am just not liking it at all.My first option has always been childcare but 2 days before starting i changed my mind and decided i wanted to do sport.There is a local apprenticeship near me going in a nursery and i really am unsure of taking it.its £102 weekly wage and its a 30 hours a week which gives me a weekend to relax and not having to worry about assignments like i am currently going through? do i take this job or is it really not worth it ?

ReputationRep:
    What qualification does that apprenticeship offer and does it match or exceed the value of your current studies. If it does and if it pays well (£102 is very low) and if there are no alternatives I would accept it.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd think long-term. Diploma will stay with you for the rest of your life and there will always be jobs available around; unless you really don't like your course then have a look around there might be better apprentice opportunities than this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzaahmad786)
    What qualification does that apprenticeship offer and does it match or exceed the value of your current studies. If it does and if it pays well (£102 is very low) and if there are no alternatives I would accept it.
    Level 2 then Level 3 after but I'm paying £800 for bus travel to college plus £88 a week for actually being at that college, with apprenticeship you can't expect to have high income of money until you gradually succeed in doing assignments and tasks, my cousins was on £98 last year and it's increased too £102 so it's better than last year,plus it's only a few minutes away from my home and I'm saving a hell of a lot of money and the travel is long
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by littleliv12)
    Level 2 then Level 3 after but I'm paying £800 for bus travel to college plus £88 a week for actually being at that college, with apprenticeship you can't expect to have high income of money until you gradually succeed in doing assignments and tasks, my cousins was on £98 last year and it's increased too £102 so it's better than last year,plus it's only a few minutes away from my home and I'm saving a hell of a lot of money and the travel is long
    There are well paid apprenticeships out there. Be careful of nursery apprenticeships, they're notoriously bad for using people as cheap labour without job prospects at the end.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 15, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.