Turn on thread page Beta

Friend ignored me, am I overreacting? watch

It's been a few months since I started uni and i've become really close friends with another girl on my course. We always hang out together both in and out of uni.
    Anyways, there's another girl who my friend is friends with which is completely fine. But whenever the other girl, lets call her Lisa, is there, my friend completely ignores me. Like today, Lisa was stood outside the lecture theatre and my friend went and started talking to her but completely forgot I was there. Everytime I tried to join the convo she wouldn't pay attention and carried on talking to Lisa. Then in the lecture theatre she followed Lisa, didn't talk to me once and only spoke to Lisa. Once the lecture was over they both went off together and she didn't even look back for me. Whenever they talk she puts in more of an effort with Lisa as well, like trying to initiate convos etc but when it's just us I feel like I do most the talking because she doesn't even try to talk much.
    Am I overreacting?
    I just feel bad because I've spent alot of time and money into our friendship (always eating out with her bc she wants to, volunteering with her because she wants me to etc) I am aware it sounds stupid but whenever she flat out acts like i'm not there with people she wants to be friends with it feels like a slap in the face. Don't get me wrong, of course I understand people have lots of friends but why act like you don't know me and follow lisa around when she's there. I would never act like this with her

ReputationRep:
    Ugh.... I hate this! Been there! Big. Red. Flag!!! She's you're good friend as long as no one (sorry) 'better' is around. I doubt she's going to change her stripes - at least not for a long time. If you choose to say something to her..... if she is a true friend, she will apologize and admit she wasn't aware that she was doing that and will be more aware in the future (a good sign) but, if she blames you and says something like "I want to have lots of friends" or "you're not my only friend" then it is time to move on and make new friends. If she's a true friend it is fine and desirable to have multiple interacting friend groups. She should be fine with you talking and interacting with her and the other friend. You don't want to be the default friend. You are better than that. It does sound like you've been a good friend to her and participated in the activities she's interested in.... and happy that you've been included when she's asked you. It's time for her to show you reciprocal friendship and include you. You may not choose to walk away from this friendship, probably not needed anyway, but be leery. I definitely had a friend who fit that profile.... we were friends from age 8 up until uni and I let her treat me like that over and over again. We went to different unis and now we are still 'friends' but I know who I'm dealing with and I know not to place too much emotionally into our friendship. She hurt me one too many times. I do, however, now have some wonderful other friends who don't treat me that way. The issue is with your friend and not you. Good Luck!

(Original post by Hopefully1)
    Ugh.... I hate this! Been there! Big. Red. Flag!!! She's you're good friend as long as no one (sorry) 'better' is around. I doubt she's going to change her stripes - at least not for a long time. If you choose to say something to her..... if she is a true friend, she will apologize and admit she wasn't aware that she was doing that and will be more aware in the future (a good sign) but, if she blames you and says something like "I want to have lots of friends" or "you're not my only friend" then it is time to move on and make new friends. If she's a true friend it is fine and desirable to have multiple interacting friend groups. She should be fine with you talking and interacting with her and the other friend. You don't want to be the default friend. You are better than that. It does sound like you've been a good friend to her and participated in the activities she's interested in.... and happy that you've been included when she's asked you. It's time for her to show you reciprocal friendship and include you. You may not choose to walk away from this friendship, probably not needed anyway, but be leery. I definitely had a friend who fit that profile.... we were friends from age 8 up until uni and I let her treat me like that over and over again. We went to different unis and now we are still 'friends' but I know who I'm dealing with and I know not to place too much emotionally into our friendship. She hurt me one too many times. I do, however, now have some wonderful other friends who don't treat me that way. The issue is with your friend and not you. Good Luck!
    Thank you for this!

ReputationRep:
    She's not worth it. She's not worth all this stress.

ReputationRep:
    Fake friends all over uni. Filter them out.

t. Someone who's experienced this

ReputationRep:
    This has literally happened to me so many times.

ReputationRep:
    You're being used. She's not your friend, it's just that she'd rather not be seen alone. In any case, there's plenty of other benefits for her to keep you around - you've explained it yourself without even realising it.

Wake up and move on...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.