The Student Room Group

Retired parents. What finance help can I apply for?

Going to be starting University next year. My mother is unemployed and my father is retired, getting about £1200 per month. I was wondering since the family income is so low, if I had options to get loans that I might not be able to have gotten if my family income was higher?
Original post by L.White
Going to be starting University next year. My mother is unemployed and my father is retired, getting about £1200 per month. I was wondering since the family income is so low, if I had options to get loans that I might not be able to have gotten if my family income was higher?

You ll get the maximum loan available from sfe and may be eligible for busaries your university might offer.
Original post by L.White

As your saying you will be studying in the academic year 2017/18 then SFE will need your parents 2015/16 tax year income - if their income was higher than 25k in that tax year then let me know and I'll explain what CYI is.

If your mum is employed and receives nothing or just receives benefits then she would put 0 income down and your dad will need to put his 1200 income down which I assume is the pension. They would need to either create student finance accounts and support your application online or complete a pff2 paper form

As claire stated above you would get the max loan based on the info you provioded
Reply 3
Original post by murpo
As your saying you will be studying in the academic year 2017/18 then SFE will need your parents 2015/16 tax year income - if their income was higher than 25k in that tax year then let me know and I'll explain what CYI is.

If your mum is employed and receives nothing or just receives benefits then she would put 0 income down and your dad will need to put his 1200 income down which I assume is the pension. They would need to either create student finance accounts and support your application online or complete a pff2 paper form

As claire stated above you would get the max loan based on the info you provioded

I believe their income was higher than 25k that tax year as he retired in July, and earned just over 30k per year up to then.
Original post by L.White
I believe their income was higher than 25k that tax year as he retired in July, and earned just over 30k per year up to then.

Ok then they would complete a current year income form after providing their 15/16 tax year income(They must provide the 15/16 income first) then SFE will assess you on your parents current tax year income(Tax year 17/18) if their has been a 15% drop since tax year 15/16 - they will have to provide estimates and in April 2018 they will be sent PR2 forms to confirm their actual income, if they don't complete the PR2 form with their actual income it will cause overpayments on your account and SLC will start chasing you for money, if they estimate their income is a lot lower then it actually is then that will cause an overpayment also.
Reply 5
Original post by murpo
Ok then they would complete a current year income form after providing their 15/16 tax year income(They must provide the 15/16 income first) then SFE will assess you on your parents current tax year income(Tax year 17/18) if their has been a 15% drop since tax year 15/16 - they will have to provide estimates and in April 2018 they will be sent PR2 forms to confirm their actual income, if they don't complete the PR2 form with their actual income it will cause overpayments on your account and SLC will start chasing you for money, if they estimate their income is a lot lower then it actually is then that will cause an overpayment also.

Thank you. I will talk to my parents about this soon and see what they are getting/doing. Would it be okay if I spoke to you again sometime about this if I need it, as you clearly know a lot more about this than I do?
Original post by L.White
Thank you. I will talk to my parents about this soon and see what they are getting/doing. Would it be okay if I spoke to you again sometime about this if I need it, as you clearly know a lot more about this than I do?

Feel free to PM me and I'll reply within 24 hours and I check this forum for new posts every few days :redface:)

Tax year 15/16 would be the tax year ending March 2016 if you are wanting to ask your parents what the household income was.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending