Ask a UCL English 3rd Year anything! Watch

EllyJelly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey all!

So if you're applying right now to English (as I know interviews etc must be coming up soon), I'm opening the floor to any questions relating to applications, interviews, courses or university life. Go for it and ask me anything you feel would be useful. Appropriate, obviously lol.

I'm currently in my 3rd year at UCL (University College London)

Good luck to you all!

x
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EllyJelly)
Hey all!

So if you're applying right now to English (as I know interviews etc must be coming up soon), I'm opening the floor to any questions relating to applications, interviews, courses or university life. Go for it and ask me anything you feel would be useful. Appropriate, obviously lol.

I'm currently in my 3rd year at UCL (University College London)

Good luck to you all!

x
Did you study Old English or Old Icelandic, and if you did, what was it like?
EllyJelly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
Did you study Old English or Old Icelandic, and if you did, what was it like?
I've done Old English all 3 years of my degree and I absolutely love it. It's very logical and translation based compared to any other module on offer, plus lots of interesting Anglo Saxon history. The stories and poems themselves also have very interesting plots - Anglo Saxons loved their weird monsters and all that. It does require a lot of work between seminars though - we translate up to 60 lines of Anglo Saxon per seminar in 2nd/3rd years. If you love it though, this doesn't put you off.

You get a sample of Old English that is compulsory in 1st year that will probably better inform your decision.

I don't take Old Icelandic but a couple of my close friends do and they really enjoy it. Lots of Norse myths and that kind of thing - also lots of translation. The class is quite small so lots of one to one teaching which is helpful.
Edulcorante
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it really expensive to study in London ?
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What is your opinion on Pietro Boselli?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.34%
No (202)
72.66%

Watched Threads