Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

So if you're applying right now to English (as I know interviews etc must be coming up soon), I'm opening the floor to any questions relating to applications, interviews, courses or university life. Go for it and ask me anything you feel would be useful. Appropriate, obviously lol.

I'm currently in my 3rd year at UCL (University College London)

Good luck to you all!

x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by EllyJelly)
    Hey all!

So if you're applying right now to English (as I know interviews etc must be coming up soon), I'm opening the floor to any questions relating to applications, interviews, courses or university life. Go for it and ask me anything you feel would be useful. Appropriate, obviously lol.

I'm currently in my 3rd year at UCL (University College London)

Good luck to you all!

x
    Did you study Old English or Old Icelandic, and if you did, what was it like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Did you study Old English or Old Icelandic, and if you did, what was it like?
    I've done Old English all 3 years of my degree and I absolutely love it. It's very logical and translation based compared to any other module on offer, plus lots of interesting Anglo Saxon history. The stories and poems themselves also have very interesting plots - Anglo Saxons loved their weird monsters and all that. It does require a lot of work between seminars though - we translate up to 60 lines of Anglo Saxon per seminar in 2nd/3rd years. If you love it though, this doesn't put you off.

You get a sample of Old English that is compulsory in 1st year that will probably better inform your decision.

I don't take Old Icelandic but a couple of my close friends do and they really enjoy it. Lots of Norse myths and that kind of thing - also lots of translation. The class is quite small so lots of one to one teaching which is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really expensive to study in London ?

ReputationRep:
    What is your opinion on Pietro Boselli?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.