Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think we are safer from major conflict under Trump than Hillary? watch

ReputationRep:
    Trump has maintained his stance on working alongside Putin to re-establish a good working relationship between the US and Russia. He has displayed skepticism of NATO, criticised the nations who fail to meet its defense spending targets, and suggested that the US would likely not respond militarily if Russia were to expand into Eastern Europe.

Hillary on the other hand would have likely expand NATO further East, has said openly that she would respond militarily if Russia or China were to engage in further cyber-attacks, and made propositions for Syria that could directly lead to conflict with the Russians.

Do you think a stronger NATO and the threat of force against Russian expansionism is key to preventing a major global conflict? Or would that be more likely to lead us towards eventual war? Is Trumps more isolationist stance a better route for keeping the peace between the major powers?

ReputationRep:
    Putin is basically Stalin without the word "communism" being associated with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Putin is basically Stalin without the word "communism" being associated with him.
    This wasn't really an answer to the question...

ReputationRep:
    Trump ! better the devil you know

ReputationRep:
    In terms of militarism, I still believe in something called the balance of power.

Wars will never occur if no chance of victory. No chance of victory? It means...there will be no winners if wars end.

Hitler never dies. This evil spirit can manipulate some patriots who get drunk with power...

Should US and UK leave NATO? I have just answered the question. :-)

Name:  1478903600191.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  40.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VV Cephei A)
    This wasn't really an answer to the question...
    I mean, if trump is cosying up to Putin then that leaves Russia free to carry out invasions as it did during Soviet era.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, if trump is cosying up to Putin then that leaves Russia free to carry out invasions as it did during Soviet era.
    When was this, have you got some evidence showing Putin and trump having a beer or something

ReputationRep:
    Putin will only invade Latvia, Estonia & Lithuania if he thinks he can get away with it without provoking a NATO response. The issue with Trump is that, if he decides that NATO's Article 5 pledge isn't worth the paper it's written on, then NATO will not be able to prevent a Russian invasion or stand any chance of launching a successful counter attack to liberate those 3 sovereign nations without an increase in European military expenditure & the will to use it. Therefore, I actually have a small amount of sympathy with Americans that believe they are footing much of Europe's defence bill - only the UK, Poland, Greece and Estonia currently meet the 2% of GDP target.
    The bottom line is that a weaker NATO gives Putin more encouragement to act rather than de-escalating any crisis.

I also have sympathy with Clinton for suggesting that the USA (the rest of NATO for that matter) should respond to Chinese & Russian cyber attacks - not necessarily with military force but certainly with economic punishments and offensive cyber attacks in order to show these nations that cyber warfare is not without retribution. After all, if a cyber-attack takes down a power station in mid winter which then means people freeze to death then how is this different to direct military action?

ReputationRep:
    Who says he's "cosying" up to him?

He wants a better relationship with Russia in order to avoid conflict.

Clinton wouldn't ever want to improve the relations, which would inevitably lead to a (cold) war, or worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    In terms of militarism, I still believe in something called the balance of power.

Wars will never occur if no chance of victory. No chance of victory? It means...there will be no winners if wars end.
    Wasn't that roughly the thinking behind the superblocs which formed before WWI? How did that work out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    Wasn't that roughly the thinking behind the superblocs which formed before WWI? How did that work out?
    It gave Serbia command of the world's seas and Bosnian revolutionaries the most powerful army the world had ever seen.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Putin will only invade Latvia, Estonia & Lithuania if he thinks he can get away with it without provoking a NATO response. The issue with Trump is that, if he decides that NATO's Article 5 pledge isn't worth the paper it's written on, then NATO will not be able to prevent a Russian invasion or stand any chance of launching a successful counter attack to liberate those 3 sovereign nations without an increase in European military expenditure & the will to use it. Therefore, I actually have a small amount of sympathy with Americans that believe they are footing much of Europe's defence bill - only the UK, Poland, Greece and Estonia currently meet the 2% of GDP target.
    The bottom line is that a weaker NATO gives Putin more encouragement to act rather than de-escalating any crisis.

I also have sympathy with Clinton for suggesting that the USA (the rest of NATO for that matter) should respond to Chinese & Russian cyber attacks - not necessarily with military force but certainly with economic punishments and offensive cyber attacks in order to show these nations that cyber warfare is not without retribution. After all, if a cyber-attack takes down a power station in mid winter which then means people freeze to death then how is this different to direct military action?
    I would rep you again for having an actual understanding of the situation.
    He has a point about most Nato members not paying their way. That has been for many years and those countries need to pull their thumb out. I hope he kicks their backsides into doing so.

Seems you arent allowed to stand up to Russia or China if they invade friendly countries or engage in cyber espionage.

Have to see how Trump turns out but his knowledge of international affairs was poor as well as his temprament/ego imo. Its unknown. Lets see how he does. I expect the US to be more inward looking and protectionist. That will give Russia and China more opportunity to exert greater influence on their respective neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Significantly, on paper, in practice, we'll see.. :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    If Trump's foreign policy is what it is made out to be then i'd say we've swapped the specter of a proxy war in the middle east to one of the european border.

If Putin attacks Latvia/Estonia then whether the US will act or not, i think there's still a good chance that the UK, France and Poland would.

Britain must honour its agreements.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.