In your opinion , what is the toughest language to learn?

Watch this thread
Deemey
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
From personal experience

I would say Spanish.
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Deemey)
From personal experience

I would say Spanish.
For me
Latin - hardest
Spanish
Italian
German
French - idk I find it easier than the others
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
French was difficult, Spanish and Japanese were fairly easy to start with, can't remember much of it though.
ColossalAtom
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
For me: Arabic \equiv

Russian
oShahpo
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Latin, Arabic and Hebrew are by far the hardest because of their rigorous grammar.
username1022139
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I learnt Spanish, French and German at school - not by choice, but because my school's languages department was a complete and utter shambles.

Nevertheless, I'd say German was the hardest to learn out of the aforesaid three because of the number of tenses - as well as there being three genders. French and Spanish were the same difficulty, although the pronunciation in Spanish was much easier.

Even so, the general consensus for language-learning difficulty (for native English speakers) is:

Hardest
- Chinese
- Arabic
- Japanese
- Icelandic
- Korean

Hard
- Russian
- Urdu
- Hindi
- Ukrainian

Moderate
- German
- Polish
- Turkish

Easy
- Swedish
- French
- Spanish
- Portuguese
filmaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
japanese is the hardest for english only speakers
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
English - just look how many native speaker have issues with it.

If you're a native English speaker, then I would probably say Chinese. Once you're past a certain age, it's difficult to impossible to hear some speech sound differences, so languages with those become much more difficult.
Blackstarr
Report 5 years ago
The best way to learn languages is to forget the grammar and listen to podcast, Tv shows and radio in the specific language and then practice with a native speaker.

I have been learning Spanish on my own and its not hard, if anything, it is known as the "easiest" language for English speakers to learn.
Hirsty97
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm only experienced in Arabic, Turkish, Italian and Spanish. I'd say it goes in descending order from hardest to easiest, but I don't think it's as hard as people might think. It's certainly not on parity with the tonal languages Mandarin, Vietnamese or Thai. Or the languages with lots of cases such as Polish, Hungarian or Chechen.
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
It depends what your native language is. A native English speaker will find Arabic much harder than someone who already speaks a Semitic language, for example. But Finnish is probably the hardest European language to learn. So many cases! :afraid:

(Original post by jake4198)
IEven so, the general consensus for language-learning difficulty (for native English speakers) is:

Hardest
- Chinese
- Arabic
- Japanese
- Icelandic
- Korean

Hard
- Russian
- Urdu
- Hindi
- Ukrainian

Moderate
- German
- Polish
- Turkish

Easy
- Swedish
- French
- Spanish
- Portuguese
I don't agree with that list all! Icelandic is definitely not as hard as Russian or Chinese - it is probably about the same level of difficulty as German.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
It depends what your native language is. A native English speaker will find Arabic much harder than someone who already speaks a Semitic language, for example. But Finnish is probably the hardest European language to learn. So many cases! :afraid:

I don't agree with that list all! Icelandic is definitely not as hard as Russian or Chinese - it is probably about the same level of difficulty as German.
No, I don't agree with that list either. And it misses out Hungarian - about ten cases to learn!
username1539513
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Deemey)
From personal experience

I would say Spanish.
Japanese hands down, it's got 4 different alphabets one of which is kanji (chinese) and an impossible grammar structure
mehokay
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Although I'm a native speaker, I would probably say English. There are so many exceptions to rules for spelling and grammar, there might as well not be any rules at all.
I respect people who can come to the UK and pick it up as a new language.
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mehokay)
Although I'm a native speaker, I would probably say English. There are so many exceptions to rules for spelling and grammar, there might as well not be any rules at all.
I respect people who can come to the UK and pick it up as a new language.
As languages go, English is actually pretty easy to learn.
TheConfusedMedic
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Would probably go with any language that doesn't use the Latin alphabet.

Found French and Spanish quite easily because of similarities either with each other or with English. Tried looking at Mandarin and Hindi & could not get far with them at all.
Cll_ws
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Chinese is the most difficult i've encountered, in most part due to it being a tonal language. Having studied Japanese for a couple of years, the Chinese characters weren't too difficult to wrap my head around, although there are many more of them in Chinese and, unlike in Japanese, there's no phonetic scripts to break them up in texts or to offer you an alternative way of writing a character should you forget how to.

On the other hand, Chinese grammar is simpler than Japanese grammar.
username1723547
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm teaching myself Russian, and there are a few characters in the alphabet which I mix up every time. A lot harder than learning the basics of French or German (though I don't speak either fluently beyond basic conversation level).
Ruth199
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It clearly depend on how confortable are peoples with the language they learn
retro_turtles
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Latin, oh dear god latin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads