Latin - hardest
    Spanish
    Italian
    German
    French - idk I find it easier than the others
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Personally I found French the hardest, Latin the easiest, and Spanish in the middle
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    French was difficult, Spanish and Japanese were fairly easy to start with, can't remember much of it though.

For me: Arabic \equiv

Russian

ReputationRep:
    Latin, Arabic and Hebrew are by far the hardest because of their rigorous grammar.

ReputationRep:
    I learnt Spanish, French and German at school - not by choice, but because my school's languages department was a complete and utter shambles.

Nevertheless, I'd say German was the hardest to learn out of the aforesaid three because of the number of tenses - as well as there being three genders. French and Spanish were the same difficulty, although the pronunciation in Spanish was much easier.

Even so, the general consensus for language-learning difficulty (for native English speakers) is:

Hardest
    - Chinese
    - Arabic
    - Japanese
    - Icelandic
    - Korean

Hard
    - Russian
    - Urdu
    - Hindi
    - Ukrainian

Moderate
    - German
    - Polish
    - Turkish

Easy
    - Swedish
    - French
    - Spanish
    - Portuguese

ReputationRep:
    japanese is the hardest for english only speakers

ReputationRep:
    English - just look how many native speaker have issues with it.

If you're a native English speaker, then I would probably say Chinese. Once you're past a certain age, it's difficult to impossible to hear some speech sound differences, so languages with those become much more difficult.

The best way to learn languages is to forget the grammar and listen to podcast, Tv shows and radio in the specific language and then practice with a native speaker.

I have been learning Spanish on my own and its not hard, if anything, it is known as the "easiest" language for English speakers to learn.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only experienced in Arabic, Turkish, Italian and Spanish. I'd say it goes in descending order from hardest to easiest, but I don't think it's as hard as people might think. It's certainly not on parity with the tonal languages Mandarin, Vietnamese or Thai. Or the languages with lots of cases such as Polish, Hungarian or Chechen.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It depends what your native language is. A native English speaker will find Arabic much harder than someone who already speaks a Semitic language, for example. But Finnish is probably the hardest European language to learn. So many cases! :afraid:

(Original post by jake4198)
    IEven so, the general consensus for language-learning difficulty (for native English speakers) is:

Hardest
    - Chinese
    - Arabic
    - Japanese
    - Icelandic
    - Korean

Hard
    - Russian
    - Urdu
    - Hindi
    - Ukrainian

Moderate
    - German
    - Polish
    - Turkish

Easy
    - Swedish
    - French
    - Spanish
    - Portuguese
    I don't agree with that list all! Icelandic is definitely not as hard as Russian or Chinese - it is probably about the same level of difficulty as German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    It depends what your native language is. A native English speaker will find Arabic much harder than someone who already speaks a Semitic language, for example. But Finnish is probably the hardest European language to learn. So many cases! :afraid:

I don't agree with that list all! Icelandic is definitely not as hard as Russian or Chinese - it is probably about the same level of difficulty as German.
    No, I don't agree with that list either. And it misses out Hungarian - about ten cases to learn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deemey)
    From personal experience

I would say Spanish.
    Japanese hands down, it's got 4 different alphabets one of which is kanji (chinese) and an impossible grammar structure

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm a native speaker, I would probably say English. There are so many exceptions to rules for spelling and grammar, there might as well not be any rules at all.
    I respect people who can come to the UK and pick it up as a new language.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by mehokay)
    Although I'm a native speaker, I would probably say English. There are so many exceptions to rules for spelling and grammar, there might as well not be any rules at all.
    I respect people who can come to the UK and pick it up as a new language.
    As languages go, English is actually pretty easy to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Would probably go with any language that doesn't use the Latin alphabet.

Found French and Spanish quite easily because of similarities either with each other or with English. Tried looking at Mandarin and Hindi & could not get far with them at all.

ReputationRep:
    Chinese is the most difficult i've encountered, in most part due to it being a tonal language. Having studied Japanese for a couple of years, the Chinese characters weren't too difficult to wrap my head around, although there are many more of them in Chinese and, unlike in Japanese, there's no phonetic scripts to break them up in texts or to offer you an alternative way of writing a character should you forget how to.

On the other hand, Chinese grammar is simpler than Japanese grammar.

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching myself Russian, and there are a few characters in the alphabet which I mix up every time. A lot harder than learning the basics of French or German (though I don't speak either fluently beyond basic conversation level).

ReputationRep:
    It clearly depend on how confortable are peoples with the language they learn

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.