Taylor expansions confusion f(x+a) and f(x) at a... Watch

xfootiecrazeesarax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so my understanding of

f(x)≈ f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^{2}/2+ ... [1]

at a point a, is that we are approximating the function at this point so it can be a good approximation for points close to a, and so the point is we know f(x) at other regions in the domain but not around a?

Now my main question is, taylor series is also given as:

f(x+Δx) ≈ f(x) + f'(x)Δx+ f''(x) (Δx)^{2}/2 +...

- how is this derived from [1]?
- what is the idea behind this expansion, like for above I have a reason for it
- does Δx need to be small compared to x to do this? and why? how does this tie with the reason of the expansion and deriving it from [1], if so? ( Δx here is a bad choice for this question since the symbol generally denotes this, but in the general case being small is required?)

Many thanks in advance
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xfootiecrazeesarax)

at a point a, is that we are approximating the function at this point so it can be a good approximation for points close to a, and so the point is we know f(x) at other regions in the domain but not around a?

- does Δx need to be small compared to x to do this? and why? how does this tie with the reason of the expansion and deriving it from [1], if so? ( Δx here is a bad choice for this question since the symbol generally denotes this, but in the general case being small is required?)

Many thanks in advance
it looks like they are assuming x is a value close to a and letting  \displaystyle \delta x = x - a to get

\displaystyle f(x) = f(x- \delta x) + f'(x - \delta x) \delta x + f''(x - \delta x) \frac{(\delta x)^2}{2} + ...

\therefore \displaystyle f(x + \delta x) = f(x) + f'(x) \delta x + f''(x) \frac{(\delta x)^2}{2} + ...

1. I think its derived using the above method
2. The idea behind it, im not sure
3. pretty sure x and a must be close in value, and deltax must be small yea
xfootiecrazeesarax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by DylanJ42)
it looks like they are assuming x is a value close to a and letting  \displaystyle \delta x = x - a to get

\displaystyle f(x) = f(x- \delta x) + f'(x - \delta x) \delta x + f''(x - \delta x) \frac{(\delta x)^2}{2} + ...

\therefore \displaystyle f(x + \delta x) = f(x) + f'(x) \delta x + f''(x) \frac{(\delta x)^2}{2} + ...

1. I think its derived using the above method
2. The idea behind it, im not sure
3. pretty sure x and a must be close in value, and deltax must be small yea
ahh, many thanks,

delta x small < => x and a are close, so they're equivalent criteria,
in the initial expansion i gave as [1] it's valid, as in a good approx, only if x is close to a, so i guess that explains why
B_9710
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xfootiecrazeesarax)

Many thanks in advance
From what you've put it seems that we are assuming that  \Delta x is small and that  x is close to a.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (621)
80.65%
Leave (149)
19.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise