The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
kasias
My cheque cleared yesterday and I got a pin code for my debit card today. I got some sort of letter printed out for me when I opened the account instore though, and I knew I had the overdraft becuase of my online account.

I would really advise going to the halifax/bank of scotland website and getting online access. Once the account is open you can see how much money you have in and what your overdraft is really easily, it's much better than having to check in cash machines. If you have more than one halifax/bank of Scotland account (ie a savings) you can transfer money within seconds.

Yup, that was also one of the reasons I wanted to stay with Halifax, because I use the online banking and it's good.
Reply 61
I think the main problem with Halifax is the customer service, I had the same problem opening up an account because of a credit rating, I had JUST turned 18!! Absoulte bull****! To open up an account there the person behind the counter just puts you on a phone and then pisses off, leaving you there. To top it all off the phone is out in the open, EVERYONE can hear you mentioning confidential information, which is a major security risk with the whole identity fraud thing, i hate Halifax:mad:
Reply 62
angelpie
I think the main problem with Halifax is the customer service, I had the same problem opening up an account because of a credit rating, I had JUST turned 18!! Absoulte bull****!

I had that problem with RBS! I'd just turned 18 as well!
Reply 63
I tried to open a student account about a month ago online, and got confirmation that a decision has been made about a week later. Went online to confirm the accout and everything, and still had the 'application holding' window....

So I left it for a week, and then phoned them to find out what was happening, and they didn't seem to have a clue, or care! Eventually got some forms sent out to sign, and I dropped them back into the Sheffield branch. After 10 days of nothing happening still, I went to my local branch to find out what the hell was happening.

A couple of phone calls later, and it turns out that Sheffield simply didn't do anything with my forms. Anyway , it's all sorted, but I haven't received my card etc yet and don't have an overdraft! So frustrating....

On the plus side, when I had money disappear from my current account to a shop in Spain, I was refunded within about 10 days.
I normally bank with Halifax but had so much problems trying to upgrade my account when i turned 18 to one with an overdraft that i decided to avoid opening my student account with halifax and look elsewhere.

I chose Royal Bank of Scotland because they have a service when you graduate specifically targetted at law students so that they can carry on their studies and such, so i thought this was benefitial to me.
I went into the branch, filled out an application form and got confirmed £1250 overdraft straight away, I had to provide my UCAS acceptance letter as proof of my place at uni. I also agreed to open a student credit card, which I would recieve the application form at a later date. I would recieve everything I needed within 7 - 10 working days which was really good, as I need the money ASAP to pay rent and buy things for uni. It seemed really well. They also closed the other account I already had with them that I didnt use or need anymore.

It has no been over 10 working days and I have recieved everything BUT the debit card, cheque book and account details. I recieved my 2 for 1 cinema card, my royalties card and my application form for the credit card, which i cant even complete without my other account details.

Halifax decided to charge me for going overdrawn recently, something which they have never done before, so I'm going into their branch tomorrow to have a complain at them about it and close my account, and I have to go to RBS and see where the hell my bank card is.
I think it's bad enough having to visit one branch a day without having to visit two.

I am glad on reading this thread that i never went with halifax though, thats something to smile about at least.
Reply 65
I have had an account with them for about a year now and I have no complaints so far. The whole thing about having to set your account up over the phone in the middle of the branch sounds a bit dodgy... I had to type me details into a computer. Just had my overdraft increased to £1000 with no problems. I wouldn't reccommend going there for the overdraft because you only seem to be certain of £1000 and any more than that seems to be more down to luck than anything.

Latest

Trending

Trending