Reaction types! Watch

Chmbiogeog
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Would anyone be able to give me a simple explanation of how to distinguish whether a reaction is electrophilic or nucleophilic. My teacher just seems to chuck these names at us with no explanation.
Thank you
MexicanKeith
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chmbiogeog)
Would anyone be able to give me a simple explanation of how to distinguish whether a reaction is electrophilic or nucleophilic. My teacher just seems to chuck these names at us with no explanation.
Thank you
Starting from the basics, electrophilic means "likes electrons" (ie negative charge) and nucleophilic means "likes nuclei" (ie positive charge). In general this means an electrophile is a reagent that can accept electrons and a nucleophile is a reagent that donates electrons. Hopefully that's clear!

For organic reactions (to which these labels are most often applied) the reaction tends to be viewed from the point of view of the organic reagent. That is to say, if the organic component is being attacked by a nucleophile (such as NH3, Br-, H2O, etc.) then we would label this reaction as a nucleophilic reaction (almost always a substitution if you are at A level).
Whereas, if attack is by an electrophile (eg NO2+, Br2, etc.) this reaction would be viewed as an electrophilic attack. (eg electrophilic addition to a double bond).

So in order to classify, think about the reagent that isnt the organic compound, whatever "prefix"-file that is, the reaction will be classified as "prefix"-filic, if that makes sense!
charco
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chmbiogeog)
Thank you
Check this link out:

www.ibchem.com/drop/htm/org/mech_all.htm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (135)
18.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.16%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.92%
How can I be the best version of myself? (227)
30.43%

Watched Threads