Unrealistic A2 prediction? Watch

Cannonfodder99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone! I was wondering whether an A* in maths would be an unrealistic predicted grade for these UMSs:
C1:95
C2:77
S1:100
I was just worried that the universities will see the B on UCAS for C2 and think that my teachers have given me an unrealistic prediction. I've already have two A* predictions for subjects where I have done better than I did in maths, so should I ask them to maybe move me down to an A, as the course i'm applying to has a standard offer of AAA? I just don't want unis to think that my school is giving out unrealistic predictions.
Starlight2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cannonfodder99)
Hi everyone! I was wondering whether an A* in maths would be an unrealistic predicted grade for these UMSs:
C1:95
C2:77
S1:100
I was just worried that the universities will see the B on UCAS for C2 and think that my teachers have given me an unrealistic prediction. I've already have two A* predictions for subjects where I have done better than I did in maths, so should I ask them to maybe move me down to an A, as the course i'm applying to has a standard offer of AAA? I just don't want unis to think that my school is giving out unrealistic predictions.
Unless you've had an immensely bad teacher and the whole department is a little messed, they won't ever predict you a grade they can't give a reason for so even if you got a B for one unit (and hey a B is great at Alevel) they know your capability so are confident you will do well- this grade isn't just based on the final AS (or mock exam) it's really based on your overall performance across the year too. So say for example you've been getting Cs and Ds over the year but get a B or A in the mock even though they say they won't predict you more than one grade higher than AS result, they won't really guarantee you'd be predicted that AS grade for your final grade it could be lower
So it depends on confidence. Be proud....they're really optimistic!
However, don't be so proud that it puts you off working hard for the final exams- I did that with some subjects at GCSE and the result was ugly. Subjects I didn't have high hopes - (I just worked really hard), in particular one I was completely failing (by that I mean in yr 10 end of topic assessments I got E F F and then end of ur 10 exam B- thanks to the questions my teacher rightly predicted- but went downhill by getting a C for one assessment and then surprising an A for the next assessment- I was so proud of myself as I never even saw those questions- I just worked my socks off using q's we did in class....but then a D in the last mock we did.....my final GCSE grade I got....an A - so a bit of a rollercoaster ride is what I could describe for GCSE physics!
You could ask them to move your grade down but this might mean you may be at a disadvantage if you do get the grades you were originally predicted....just bear in mind (and you do seem hardworking) that hardwork will never dissappoint
Good luck- I'm sure you'll get those grades! Also find some work experience as this would really help make your personal statement stand out!!
iiiii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Those are very similar UMS to what I got in AS maths and I ended up getting an A* at A2 so I wouldn't say it's unrealistic, maths works a bit differently from other A levels as getting the A* depends so much only on C3 and C4 so presumably your teachers have predicted you an A* on the basis that they think C2 was a bit of a blip and you're capable of still doing well on C3 and C4. I doubt a uni would see that as an unrealistic prediction as it's not at all uncommon for people to have a unit that didn't go quite so well at AS but go on to do really well at A2 - I don't think it would hurt you at all to have three A* predictions. (Also for the majority of courses it's optional to give individual unit grades on UCAS so I don't think you'd even need to tell unis about your mark in C2, they'd just see the overall A.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (111)
14.12%
Excited (75)
9.54%
Worried (149)
18.96%
Terrified (182)
23.16%
Meh (50)
6.36%
Confused (22)
2.8%