Adults Dependents Grant Watch

HDQP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all, I am in my third year of university. Last year I received an adults dependents grant and this year for whatever reason it seems is didn't apply for it, therefore I have to submit a form. Now, I feel concerned as the eligibility doesn't seem to fit my circumstances. The adult dependent on me is my mother. I am her carer and her income is just her disability allowance. My income is just my student loan since I have no time to work because when I'm not at uni, I care for her. Because of her low income we share the costs, I pay for the electric, gas and broadband bills while she pays does the rest and we can just about manage doing it this way. Now I've spoken to Student Finance on the phone and they said I qualify and that much is obvious by my circumstances and the fact I received the grant last year, however. The form I have to fill out doesn't seem to clarify anything nor does it seem to show how any of this applies to me. Most of it seems to be about having children or a partner. Do any of you have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HDQP)
Hi all, I am in my third year of university. Last year I received an adults dependents grant and this year for whatever reason it seems is didn't apply for it, therefore I have to submit a form. Now, I feel concerned as the eligibility doesn't seem to fit my circumstances. The adult dependent on me is my mother. I am her carer and her income is just her disability allowance. My income is just my student loan since I have no time to work because when I'm not at uni, I care for her. Because of her low income we share the costs, I pay for the electric, gas and broadband bills while she pays does the rest and we can just about manage doing it this way. Now I've spoken to Student Finance on the phone and they said I qualify and that much is obvious by my circumstances and the fact I received the grant last year, however. The form I have to fill out doesn't seem to clarify anything nor does it seem to show how any of this applies to me. Most of it seems to be about having children or a partner. Do any of you have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
Yes the form is called the dependents grants form, I can give you a link if you want (on my phone at the moment) it's for applying for all dependents grants and there's a section for the ADG on there's for you to complete. They assess all dependants grants together (it's called grants for dependents or GFDs)

Just complete the form and put your mums income down (it has to be under something like 3337, I can't remember the exact figure from memory but it's 3000 something) and also provide evidence of her financial obligations.

The timescale to process this is currently around 21 working days from when it is received so if you send it now, don't expect anything until mid December.

Sorry I took so long to answer, I never saw the post! Let me know if I can help further
HDQP
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
Yes the form is called the dependents grants form, I can give you a link if you want (on my phone at the moment) it's for applying for all dependents grants and there's a section for the ADG on there's for you to complete. They assess all dependants grants together (it's called grants for dependents or GFDs)

Just complete the form and put your mums income down (it has to be under something like 3337, I can't remember the exact figure from memory but it's 3000 something) and also provide evidence of her financial obligations.

The timescale to process this is currently around 21 working days from when it is received so if you send it now, don't expect anything until mid December.

Sorry I took so long to answer, I never saw the post! Let me know if I can help further
I've got the form... one question I do have is with the income questions; is it all taxable income? Because all she gets is high rate disability which of course she doesn't pay taxes on.
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HDQP)
I've got the form... one question I do have is with the income questions; is it all taxable income? Because all she gets is high rate disability which of course she doesn't pay taxes on.
They do not want to know about any benefits or any disability money etc.

The only income they want to know is income she has received from a job and that would be the total amount shown on the p60
HDQP
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
They do not want to know about any benefits or any disability money etc.

The only income they want to know is income she has received from a job and that would be the total amount shown on the p60
Ok, thank you. You've been a great help.
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HDQP)
Ok, thank you. You've been a great help.
Your welcome, let me know if you need help in the future
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads