Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ahoy all,

I'm looking for opinions and experiences from people who've done something similar.

I got my undergraduate degree in software engineering from Durham, and I've been working very successfully as a software engineer for ~5 years; I work in a great team for great employer with interesting work, I couldn't ask for much better in that respect.

However, I think I want to go back to university in Hull to do a master in security and distributed systems. Whilst having the masters on my CV would be nice, my primary reasoning is that I'm interested in those 2 topics, I'd like a more academic basis in them and I think it'd give me new opportunities with my current employer and maybe other employers in the future.

I've already worked out how to fund it, so that isn't too much of a bother.

Given that I've been working in industry for a number of years, on multiple projects involving distributed systems and security, am I likely to get much/anything from a masters? Or would I be pissing 5 grand up the wall?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you're looking to get more academic/research experience then I think a masters is a wise choice. Many go into it for employability reasons and don't realise how academic and research focused a masters is (especially in applied areas). So I think it's clear you know what you'll achieve out of it and are aware of what it involves, so if it's what you want then I think go for it!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by SeveralBadgers)
    I've done something similar-ish, and if I did it again, I'd have done a lot more networking before committing to leaving my original role and starting the Masters. First of all, it would confirm that employers would see value in my post-Masters profile, ie confirmation that the experience + Masters had a value, second I might have found out about different courses and longer, strategic considerations, like - in a couple of years it's going to be much more about X than Y - which might have made me consider a different course. The other thing is that post-Masters, I'd have a string of people I could go back to and say 'Hi, this is me again', and begin a job hunt with a bit of a network.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't waste the networking opportunities you have now while in work, they are much harder to generate during a Masters or while unemployed and job hunting after a career break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    I've done something similar-ish, and if I did it again, I'd have done a lot more networking before committing to leaving my original role and starting the Masters. First of all, it would confirm that employers would see value in my post-Masters profile, ie confirmation that the experience + Masters had a value, second I might have found out about different courses and longer, strategic considerations, like - in a couple of years it's going to be much more about X than Y - which might have made me consider a different course. The other thing is that post-Masters, I'd have a string of people I could go back to and say 'Hi, this is me again', and begin a job hunt with a bit of a network.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't waste the networking opportunities you have now while in work, they are much harder to generate during a Masters or while unemployed and job hunting after a career break.
    Apologies for the slow reply. Work & life. Life & work, You know how it is.

That's a good point about networking. I work in a tech hub, so I should take more advantage of that! How did you find the teaching and course contents? Did your time in industry make much/any of it sort of redundant? That is to say, was the course teaching stuff you'd learned in industry?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.