Re: How to deal with Narcissists, Sociopaths and Psycopaths - General Advice Watch

This discussion is closed.
username1726117
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by asif007)
People are too quick to use derogatory labels like psychopath and sociopath. Instead, what you've written there is a comprehensive guide to every complaint a person could possibly use against their other half in a relationship. You state no official sources, no evidence and provide no acknowledgment of other reasons why these things may happen in a relationship. Personalities are complex - just because a relationship isn't going the way you want it to, doesn't mean the other person is mentally ill.
This.

I'm absolutely disgusted that you've come on here and posted this dribble with no credible sources to back it up.

Let me tell you something; this sort of crap destroys lives. There will be people who come along, read this thread, take it as factual and deceive themselves into thinking that someone in their life should be called such and such. asif007 is right. Personalities, and by extension human behavior, are complex. You simply cannot and should not slap on a label to describe something that quite simply you do not fully understand. Now credit to you that you've already explained this ("if they do tick some it doesn't necessarily mean that they are for sure a narcissist/sociopath/psychopath"), but this thread is just asking for trouble...and is likely to cause some.

Let me tell you something else; it took six highly trained mental health professionals and a whole lot of research to finally convince myself that I was not the person I was labelled as by someone in my life. This was after an attempt at suicide. There are hundreds if not thousands of similar situations across the globe, on a daily basis, where people after to experience such dreadful accusations. Granted, some of these examples are somewhat true, but come on..."Plasters your Facebook page with compliments, flattery, songs, and poems", "Flatters your deepest insecurities"...really?! Are you trying to incite disagreement, misunderstanding and hatred?

Perhaps I'm taking this thread a little bit too personally, however I don't think it's appropriate to be on here. Therefore I'm temporarily locking the thread until another member of staff can come along and deal with it. On that note, I'll leave you with this quote; it's one I read a very, very long time ago and it's my favorite, one which I believe in 100% and something I think a lot of people in the present day need to do themselves.

“Instead of condemning people, let’s try to understand them. Let’s try to figure out why they do what they do. That’s a lot more profitable and intriguing than criticism; and it breeds sympathy, tolerance and kindness."
~ Dale Carnegie
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads