Classical civilisation advice? Watch

Pedrex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, so i just wondered how people doing classics find the subject and such? As im finding it really difficult and i feel like im dumb and no good at anything. Anyone else finding it hard?? Everyone in my class is getting great grades and im getting bad ones and please don't say "revise". I do revise but i just struggle in it alot. I just want to know if im the only one finding it difficult???

Thanks😊 and also is getting CCCD at AS good enough for second year? I got all C grade at GCSE so im not after A*
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Pedrex)
Hi, so i just wondered how people doing classics find the subject and such? As im finding it really difficult and i feel like im dumb and no good at anything. Anyone else finding it hard?? Everyone in my class is getting great grades and im getting bad ones and please don't say "revise". I do revise but i just struggle in it alot. I just want to know if im the only one finding it difficult???

Thanks😊 and also is getting CCCD at AS good enough for second year? I got all C grade at GCSE so im not after A*
Are you doing Latin and/or Greek as well with Classical Civ?
Pedrex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Are you doing Latin and/or Greek as well with Classical Civ?
Sorry for such a late reply, and yes im doing greek
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there, people can find it a difficult subject, particularly if they haven't studied it at GCSE, but if you have a supportive teacher who gives good advice that you can take on board, then there's plenty of time left to get that C, or aim higher and go for a B/A... it's possible as I've had students do it before!

If you'd like more specific help, feel free to PM me with the exam board that you're doing and the modules and I'll see if I can be of any help.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Pedrex)

Take advantage of the offer from classics teacher.

I would try and identify where the problem is, as in which section and treat them as different subjects.

1. Ancient history
2. Literature.
3. Languages.

Cant help you with 3, but:

1. Was pretty much like any history- understand the timeline- understand events, causes and reactions - understand key players- who did what, when and why.
These days you can watch a lot of documentaries on youtube, which give you a great appreciation as to how things fit together. There are some especially good ones on certain battles.

2. Know the texts, then start to understand themes plus understand the times it was written and the sub text or motivations of the author. that should gobe you an understanding of the book/ poems.

You can then just keep practising essays, do extra ones and get them marked.
Build up a good rapport with your teacher and show them you wish to improve.

I didnt have the languages to deal with.

ps you can normally get good advice by looking at the mark schemes and previous exam papers (bearing in mind any syllabus changes). They should be available to download. Dont panic as you have time to work hard and get to grips with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise