The Student Room Group

Should teachers shout in class? Yay or Nay...

Poll

Should Teachers shout in class?

Do we need more teachers like Ms Flanagan, or is the softly softly approach better...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37947691
:angry:
Original post by jneill
Do we need more teachers like Ms Flanagan, or is the softly softly approach better...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37947691

Absolutely not :tongue: All this achieves is the kids thinking they should shout when they want something
I personally feel as though teachers shouldn't shout (at least, not all the time). Often, from my past experience of having shouty teachers, it doesn't actually make much difference (if a pupil is misbehaving or the class won't be quiet for example), and for some students, such as those on the autistic spectrum, having teachers who shout can be incredibly stressful
Pupils don't like teachers who scream. My chemistry teacher is VERY VERY VERY shouty and she isnt respected at all, so she shouts for nothing...

Teachers should be approachable and engaging but also firm and fair. I have only seen a handful of teachers like this :s-smilie:
only in appropriate situations - I remember once being shouted at simply for being late, for instance - very out of place. but if a kid won't shut the **** up at the back of the class, then yeah, yell your heart out, teacher.
No.Sometimes the teacher shouts out u for no reason .But also yes bc if a student if being rude to another kid etc the teacher has every right to shout at them.
How would they survive in my schooldays? Shouting was the least of our worries. Throwing any missile that came to hand, clip round the ear, blackboard cleaners thrown at you. Happy Days!
Reply 8
Ms Flanagan herself says she keeps her shouting for the hockey pitch, not the classroom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes.

But most teachers get it the wrong way around..

Shouting at good kids is generally a good tactic in my experiance (3 years working in education).

Shouting at bad kids is useless and actually harms them more then it helps them..

My reasoning:

A quick shout at a good kid can be a really effective shock tactic. For a kid who is not used to it, it can be a very effective and quick shock to jolt them back onto the right track, and something they will remember for the next few years when they think about doing something bad. Obviously its not applicable to all circumstances, but from time to time it can be a really quick way of making sure a good kid stays good.

The problem is that most teachers shout at bad kids.. and this is beyond pointless. For many bad (and I use good and bad loosely, because otherwise it would require a whole essay on education) kids are so used to shouting, its all they hear from teachers, parents, and any adult figure that comes across them.. you can see it on their face, as soon as a teacher shouts they switch off. they are completly numb to it, and only has the negative effect of reinforcing that they believe themself to be a bad kid.

For bad kids there are far more effective techniques, and shouting is only needed in absolute emergency situations when something is happening that must stop for saftey reasons etc.

For good kids there are only a very very few situations where it can help.. most of the time there are better solutions, but occasionally there comes a time where a little scare in the right dirrection can re-inforce their perception of right/wrong and keep them on the right track for a little longer.

- so overal, yes teachers should be prepared to shout, but only in a very small number of situations, when it actually may do some good, and not just because it feels good..
I don't think shouting is necessarily bad but it did seem unnecessary in that situation. She should be able to command their attention and respect without screeching.
No. I had a science teacher in middle school who shouted, banged on his desk, and was generally quite aggressive. I HATED him and his lessons.
Original post by CobaltRose96
No. I had a science teacher in middle school who shouted, banged on his desk, and was generally quite aggressive. I HATED him and his lessons.

Did you get a good grade though? and do you like science?

Whether you like your teacher is irrelevant to both their job and whether they are a good teacher or not. They are their to educate you and hopefully foster some passion towards their subject in some of their students..

Maybe you/others did awfully in his classes, and then yes it would be a good argument against him shouting, but just that you hated his lessons and him is not a valid reason for teachers not to shout.
No.
If the kids behaved there wouldn't be any need for teachers raising their voices.
A quick shout at the very beginning of a lesson to get people to listen up may be appropriate - you have to make yourself heard. Otherwise, no, I don't think shouting is constructive at all.
Yes and bring back corporal punishment
Reply 17
Original post by fallen_acorns
yes.

But most teachers get it the wrong way around..

Shouting at good kids is generally a good tactic in my experiance (3 years working in education).

Shouting at bad kids is useless and actually harms them more then it helps them..

My reasoning:

A quick shout at a good kid can be a really effective shock tactic. For a kid who is not used to it, it can be a very effective and quick shock to jolt them back onto the right track, and something they will remember for the next few years when they think about doing something bad. Obviously its not applicable to all circumstances, but from time to time it can be a really quick way of making sure a good kid stays good.

The problem is that most teachers shout at bad kids.. and this is beyond pointless. For many bad (and I use good and bad loosely, because otherwise it would require a whole essay on education) kids are so used to shouting, its all they hear from teachers, parents, and any adult figure that comes across them.. you can see it on their face, as soon as a teacher shouts they switch off. they are completly numb to it, and only has the negative effect of reinforcing that they believe themself to be a bad kid.

For bad kids there are far more effective techniques, and shouting is only needed in absolute emergency situations when something is happening that must stop for saftey reasons etc.

For good kids there are only a very very few situations where it can help.. most of the time there are better solutions, but occasionally there comes a time where a little scare in the right dirrection can re-inforce their perception of right/wrong and keep them on the right track for a little longer.

- so overal, yes teachers should be prepared to shout, but only in a very small number of situations, when it actually may do some good, and not just because it feels good..

This is very relatable (as a good kid) it definitely shaped how I act in classrooms and attitudes towards people today.
Original post by Seamus123
How would they survive in my schooldays? Shouting was the least of our worries. Throwing any missile that came to hand, clip round the ear, blackboard cleaners thrown at you. Happy Days!

My parents say much of the same. Dads' Tech teacher used to have the biggest bunch of keys you ever did see, and they regularly whizzed across the classroom. Apparently, to add insult to injury, after getting hit by them you had to pick them up, walk to the front of the classroom, and give them back to him :lol:

Blackboard cleaners were especially aerodynamic if thrown by someone with a swift hand.

Kids these days, and this extends to my own school days a decade ago, don't know how good they've got it in comparison. "Shouldn't shout in class", what a ****ing joke.
I agree with the people who are saying that teachers garner a lot more respect through rational discourse than constant yelling, but that only applies to the people who are intelligent enough to realise that they're in school to learn; it doesn't extend as far when concerning the people who don't want to be there and are insistent on disrupting everyone elses' learning because, let's be honest, those kids don't give a toss.
Sometimes I think they do. For example, in some of my GCSE classes people just messed around and spoke all the time so the classroom was really loud - if the teacher didn't shout, then we wouldn't hear them haha. I don't think teachers should shout all the time though, as then it loses its effectiveness. If you're in a class with a teacher who always shouts, then when you do something wrong and they shout,you wouldn't really feel like anything is different. But if a composed teacher, who hardly ever shouts, shouts at you - you know you're in trouble! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending