Geography Watch

Sabz152
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have chosen geography as one of my GCSE options but I'm finding it really difficult and boring. I'm not allowed to change my options either. What should I do?
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sabz152)
I have chosen geography as one of my GCSE options but I'm finding it really difficult and boring. I'm not allowed to change my options either. What should I do?
All you can really do in this situation (aside from dropping it, which you may not be able to) is try to make the best of it. Everyone has at least one subject that they find tricky or dull, so you won't be the only one! I'd suggest trying to change your mindset from 'I hate this, it's boring and I can't do it' to something more positive, such as 'I might not like this, but that's not going to stop me from doing my best in it'.

Try to stay on top of your work and revision, and ask your classmates and/or teacher for help on the topics you're finding difficult. If you can, do past papers to test your knowledge and improve your exam technique. I'm sure you'll do fine
Sabz152
Rep:
?
Thanks I'll try and follow this advice
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
All you can really do in this situation (aside from dropping it, which you may not be able to) is try to make the best of it. Everyone has at least one subject that they find tricky or dull, so you won't be the only one! I'd suggest trying to change your mindset from 'I hate this, it's boring and I can't do it' to something more positive, such as 'I might not like this, but that's not going to stop me from doing my best in it'.

Try to stay on top of your work and revision, and ask your classmates and/or teacher for help on the topics you're finding difficult. If you can, do past papers to test your knowledge and improve your exam technique. I'm sure you'll do fine
tim_72
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sabz152)
Hi, I too did Geography at GCSE. My first teacher left at the end of year 9, to be succeeded by another teacher, who pretty much screwed all our work up and left, to be followed by another teacher who couldn't really do much. So I was left to do it all on my own - I had to learn the case studies from my revision guide instead of the stupid ones that had no resources that the teachers gave us. In addition, I found I didn't know ANYTHING of human geography like, four days before the exam. So I learnt as much as I could in 4 days and still got an A. Moral of story? It's never about how much your teacher screws up or how much you hate the subject, it's all about YOU. Only YOU can decide to work hard and learn everything, to decide you like the subject even though you might not be good at it, and making the most of your GCSEs. You will regret not making the most of the opportunity while you could once you go into sixth form - you will realize just how much easier GCSEs were and that you could have done much better. Just trust me and work hard. You'll get there Good luck
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)

I agree
skatergal99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with what someone else said about everyone having a subject they either regret taking or don't like. For me, it was drama GCSE- I enjoyed it before GCSE, and wasn't terrible at performing, but in my GCSE class their were a lot of extremely confident people with a lot of drama experience and I felt intimidated. However, I pushed through, tried really hard with my coursework, and tried my best with my new-found difficulty in performance, and ended up with a B. I actually loved performing, and whilst I was by no means brilliant at it, I put a bit a positivity into it and did the best I could in the situation. Whilst an A would have been nice, I thought I'd struggle to get a C so I was pleased.

Apply what I did to your situation. Geography may not be your favourite subject. If I'm honest, this can change anyway, but assuming you aren't going to like it at all and you can't change it, my best advice would be to put a bit more time into it, and you might find it grows on you. Start making revision notes now- you don't need lots, it's early days, but it will make you less stressed in the long run. Go over case studies, or find similar ones that you prefer and learn those instead. Go over the facts and try to think about it as a means to an end.

Worse case scenario, you have to take the subject until the end fof Year 11, hate it the whole time, and get the best grade you can given the circumstances, because you worked hard despite disliking it. Best case scenario- you'll end up liking it and wanting to take it at A-Level- one of my friends hated Chemistry GCSE, then put work into it, got an A*, and is now doing it at A-Level and loves it!

I did Geography GCSE and there were times when I wasn't that interested in it, but it is a course where you learn a wide variety of things, and you will probably find you enjoy some parts anyway. I don't like certain aspects of physical geography and some of human geography was hard, despite me having an interest in it, but I worked hard and in the end it paid off- I got an A* and I'm doing it at A-Level. By no means do I plan to take it further, but it was enjoyable enough for me to continue it.

Don't worry, GCSE's are just a stepping stone to where you want to be, and with so many subjects to study at this level, you will have some that you find harder or less interesting. I did triple science which I found hard and boring, but ended up with 2 As and a B, I did maths which I did enjoy in the end but found hard, and got an A! Try not to worry, in mine and my friends' experiences, it all comes together in the end!
Sabz152
Rep:
?
Thanks! That's really motivated me. Well done for your A.
(Original post by tim_72)
Hi, I too did Geography at GCSE. My first teacher left at the end of year 9, to be succeeded by another teacher, who pretty much screwed all our work up and left, to be followed by another teacher who couldn't really do much. So I was left to do it all on my own - I had to learn the case studies from my revision guide instead of the stupid ones that had no resources that the teachers gave us. In addition, I found I didn't know ANYTHING of human geography like, four days before the exam. So I learnt as much as I could in 4 days and still got an A. Moral of story? It's never about how much your teacher screws up or how much you hate the subject, it's all about YOU. Only YOU can decide to work hard and learn everything, to decide you like the subject even though you might not be good at it, and making the most of your GCSEs. You will regret not making the most of the opportunity while you could once you go into sixth form - you will realize just how much easier GCSEs were and that you could have done much better. Just trust me and work hard. You'll get there Good luck
Sabz152
Rep:
?
Thanks for your advice, I'll try to follow up on it😊
(Original post by mjb633)
I agree with what someone else said about everyone having a subject they either regret taking or don't like. For me, it was drama GCSE- I enjoyed it before GCSE, and wasn't terrible at performing, but in my GCSE class their were a lot of extremely confident people with a lot of drama experience and I felt intimidated. However, I pushed through, tried really hard with my coursework, and tried my best with my new-found difficulty in performance, and ended up with a B. I actually loved performing, and whilst I was by no means brilliant at it, I put a bit a positivity into it and did the best I could in the situation. Whilst an A would have been nice, I thought I'd struggle to get a C so I was pleased.

Apply what I did to your situation. Geography may not be your favourite subject. If I'm honest, this can change anyway, but assuming you aren't going to like it at all and you can't change it, my best advice would be to put a bit more time into it, and you might find it grows on you. Start making revision notes now- you don't need lots, it's early days, but it will make you less stressed in the long run. Go over case studies, or find similar ones that you prefer and learn those instead. Go over the facts and try to think about it as a means to an end.

Worse case scenario, you have to take the subject until the end fof Year 11, hate it the whole time, and get the best grade you can given the circumstances, because you worked hard despite disliking it. Best case scenario- you'll end up liking it and wanting to take it at A-Level- one of my friends hated Chemistry GCSE, then put work into it, got an A*, and is now doing it at A-Level and loves it!

I did Geography GCSE and there were times when I wasn't that interested in it, but it is a course where you learn a wide variety of things, and you will probably find you enjoy some parts anyway. I don't like certain aspects of physical geography and some of human geography was hard, despite me having an interest in it, but I worked hard and in the end it paid off- I got an A* and I'm doing it at A-Level. By no means do I plan to take it further, but it was enjoyable enough for me to continue it.

Don't worry, GCSE's are just a stepping stone to where you want to be, and with so many subjects to study at this level, you will have some that you find harder or less interesting. I did triple science which I found hard and boring, but ended up with 2 As and a B, I did maths which I did enjoy in the end but found hard, and got an A! Try not to worry, in mine and my friends' experiences, it all comes together in the end!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.66%
Excited (147)
8.9%
Worried (300)
18.17%
Terrified (374)
22.65%
Meh (151)
9.15%
Confused (36)
2.18%