Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    I am a student from Hong Kong.

    I am applying to research degrees soon, most of which need the CV of the applicants. I have no peer-reviewed academic publications, and my blank publication column does not look good on my CV.

    However, I have recently submitted an article to a local newspaper (which is pretty famous in Hong Kong) and it was published, although I used a pen name rather than my real name.

    The topic of the article should be closely related to my field as it tries to correlate Max Weber's theory and local politics.

    Can I consider it a publication of mine and write it on my CV? Thank you!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by studentfromhk)
    You just miss out a section in a CV if you have nothing to put in it. If the article is relevant and published, then you can mention it, but there might be more effective places in the application to mention it than your CV.

    Yes of course mention it.

    And it would be highly unusual if you did have a peer-reviewed publication if you're only just applying to research degrees.
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.