Harris westminster applicants 2017 Watch

sweetsmile
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys! If you applied to harris westminster for 2017 i would like your input into this as many people are saying its so difficult and stressful there. I went to an open day and quite liked it. Any of you that go there would you mind telling me how you find it there? How the teachers are? Anything and everything if you can really THANKS!! im kinda confused thats why.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
earthtomadi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sweetsmile)
Hi guys! If you applied to harris westminster for 2017 i would like your input into this as many people are saying its so difficult and stressful there. I went to an open day and quite liked it. Any of you that go there would you mind telling me how you find it there? How the teachers are? Anything and everything if you can really THANKS!! im kinda confused thats why.
Hey! I'm a current Year 12 student there and so far I've been enjoying it quite a lot. I think it depends on personal preference because the school is very vigorous with it's teaching, difficult exam boards and busy timetable. I know quite a few people did leave at the beginning of the year because of how difficult they were finding it. It very much relies on how you can deal with and manage the work and extracurricular activities (which Harris Westminster has a lot of). For me, I've been trying to be as organised as possible, which most of the students here try to be, as it's the best way to stay on top of your work. It's actually not that difficult once you get used to it. If you're the type of person that enjoys a school that pushes you, trust me Harris Westminster does plenty of that.

Regarding teachers, the majority are very good. Loads have come from really good universities, and one thing that's great is how much the teachers are willing to give extra help if needed.
I study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English and am very happy with my teachers overall.

Ask me if you want to know anything else There's a lot of things to know about the school so the questions could be endless. What A Levels do you want to study btw?
sweetsmile
Rep:
?
(Original post by earthtomadi)
Hey! I'm a current Year 12 student there and so far I've been enjoying it quite a lot. I think it depends on personal preference because the school is very vigorous with it's teaching, difficult exam boards and busy timetable. I know quite a few people did leave at the beginning of the year because of how difficult they were finding it. It very much relies on how you can deal with and manage the work and extracurricular activities (which Harris Westminster has a lot of). For me, I've been trying to be as organised as possible, which most of the students here try to be, as it's the best way to stay on top of your work. It's actually not that difficult once you get used to it. If you're the type of person that enjoys a school that pushes you, trust me Harris Westminster does plenty of that.

Regarding teachers, the majority are very good. Loads have come from really good universities, and one thing that's great is how much the teachers are willing to give extra help if needed.
I study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English and am very happy with my teachers overall.

Ask me if you want to know anything else There's a lot of things to know about the school so the questions could be endless. What A Levels do you want to study btw?

OMG THANKS FOR REPLYING! SORRY FOR LATE REPLY. I didnt realise. I want to take biology, chemistry, maths and philosophy. I just recently did the entrance exam and it was so damn hard! I dont think i even got through to the interview stage. How did you find the entrance exams? And yeah, i've heard people drop out because of how overloading it can get. It looks like an interesting place though.
earthtomadi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OMG THANKS FOR REPLYING! SORRY FOR LATE REPLY. I didnt realise. I want to take biology, chemistry, maths and philosophy. I just recently did the entrance exam and it was so damn hard! I dont think i even got through to the interview stage. How did you find the entrance exams? And yeah, i've heard people drop out because of how overloading it can get. It looks like an interesting place though.
Lol it's fine! We just had a very busy term and this week is assessment week and so everyone is exhausted and constantly revising. (Yeah, we have a week of assessments every half term before the holidays.)

My teachers were marking the entrance exams the last couple weeks and it reminded me of me doing my entrance exams. I completely remember walking out of the hall thinking I completely failed, so just know that that feeling is natural. What exams did you do? I did mine in English Literature and Chemistry, Chemistry being the most difficult. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it's easer said than done because I was the same as you last year 😁

Interviews are next week and those are so much better; if you get through to the interview process, don't be too nervous. I absolutely loved my interview. It was just really enjoyable (I did it for English Lit).

If you think of any other questions, feel free to ask! (I'm one of the lucky ones who has already finished all my assessents so I'm free to answer questions at anytime... for now)
sweetsmile
Rep:
?
Lol it's fine! We just had a very busy term and this week is assessment week and so everyone is exhausted and constantly revising. (Yeah, we have a week of assessments every half term before the holidays.)

My teachers were marking the entrance exams the last couple weeks and it reminded me of me doing my entrance exams. I completely remember walking out of the hall thinking I completely failed, so just know that that feeling is natural. What exams did you do? I did mine in English Literature and Chemistry, Chemistry being the most difficult. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it's easer said than done because I was the same as you last year 😁

Interviews are next week and those are so much better; if you get through to the interview process, don't be too nervous. I absolutely loved my interview. It was just really enjoyable (I did it for English Lit).

If you think of any other questions, feel free to ask! (I'm one of the lucky ones who has already finished all my assessents so I'm free to answer questions at anytime... for now)
Awwww thanks for taking the time to help me! I did my exams in biology and chemistry and yes, the chemistry exam was quite challenging! The interviews are next week? That quick? I had no idea. When do they let you know that you are invited to an interview? What if you got the answers wrong but attempted the questions?

How is Harris wesminster overall as it can get quite intense, is it all worth it? The teachers are really good i heard. THANKSSSS FOR REPLYING 😁😁😁😆
earthtomadi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Awwww thanks for taking the time to help me! I did my exams in biology and chemistry and yes, the chemistry exam was quite challenging! The interviews are next week? That quick? I had no idea. When do they let you know that you are invited to an interview? What if you got the answers wrong but attempted the questions?

How is Harris wesminster overall as it can get quite intense, is it all worth it? The teachers are really good i heard. THANKSSSS FOR REPLYING 😁😁😁😆
No problem! Yeah, the interviews are on the 11th next week. I was quite surprised too because the dates between my exam and interview were quite spaced out. If you get an interview, you should hear within the next week, I'm assuming.
I think the teachers are trying thieir best to give you as many marks as they can find, so working marks from your attempts should count (if they're correct obviously).

Overall, my personal belief is that it is worth it if you cooperate with the intense-ness, if you get what I mean. It gets quite difficult and if you can keep going and keep a nice flow with your work and revision, you'll be fine.
Regarding teachers, the good ones are really good. What I love about some of my teachers are a few of them are really funny and very passionate, so lessons are more interesting and fun. There are also those who are boring but still good. And then there are the odd bad ones that you hear people complain about. Some people that I know who have teachers that are bad tend to to just get through it, and you can always go to another teacher for help if you don't understand something. Teachers here hardly get offended for things like asking another teacher for help.
sweetsmile
Rep:
?
No problem! Yeah, the interviews are on the 11th next week. I was quite surprised too because the dates between my exam and interview were quite spaced out. If you get an interview, you should hear within the next week, I'm assuming.
I think the teachers are trying thieir best to give you as many marks as they can find, so working marks from your attempts should count (if they're correct obviously).

Overall, my personal belief is that it is worth it if you cooperate with the intense-ness, if you get what I mean. It gets quite difficult and if you can keep going and keep a nice flow with your work and revision, you'll be fine.
Regarding teachers, the good ones are really good. What I love about some of my teachers are a few of them are really funny and very passionate, so lessons are more interesting and fun. There are also those who are boring but still good. And then there are the odd bad ones that you hear people complain about. Some people that I know who have teachers that are bad tend to to just get through it, and you can always go to another teacher for help if you don't understand something. Teachers here hardly get offended for things like asking another teacher for help.
Wow, by the way thats really nice to hear that some teachers can have bants because i kind of need that in lesson to keep it a bit alive lol. Also i wanted to ask what was it like during the interview as in what type of questions did they ask? Of course for you its different you did english literature, but what tips would you give? ... thats if i get through to the interview stage. I swear i answered everything wrong 😂 It all went south.

I heard you do assembelies in Westminster Abbey, that is so cool! How is the student environment like at Harris? Is it diverse?
Vanilla Cupcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow, by the way thats really nice to hear that some teachers can have bants because i kind of need that in lesson to keep it a bit alive lol. Also i wanted to ask what was it like during the interview as in what type of questions did they ask? Of course for you its different you did english literature, but what tips would you give? ... thats if i get through to the interview stage. I swear i answered everything wrong 😂 but for bio and chem im predicted A*. It all went south.

I heard you do assembelies in Westminster Abbey, that is so cool! How is the student environment like at Harris? Is it diverse?
Hey im also a year 12 at hwsf so I'll try and answer a few of your questions 😌

the teachers (especially the younger ones) are full of bantz lmao but it really depends on your classes, if you're like me and have your newly acquired friends in loads of your classes it's great. a good tip if/when you decide to come here, make sure your class has a whatsapp group chat. they really helped me to get to know everyone (and occasionally talk about work!)

anyway what subject is your interview in? mine was maths which probs won't help but the general structure is they ask you what you enjoy about your chosen subject and then focus the main question on that so you're answering something you're comfortable with and enjoy. i found mine really fun; it's so satisfying when you get to an answer while discussing it with someone who may have studied that topic in depth at university

tips for interview honestly just be yourself, don't try and prepare or anything because it should just be like a natural conversation and you should enjoy it. seems a bit counter productive but really all you should be doing is furthering your knowledge of your subject so you have something interesting to talk about

dw after my exams i was like 'the only way im getting in is if my maths was 👌👌👌' (fortunately it was. or my french wasn't as bad as expected idk) so you've probably done a lot better than you think. They mark it according to your working out so even if you don't get a final answer they're more interested in the process and whether you'd be a good scholar here lol

we have abbey assemblies every month or so and it is nice definitely, but our normal weekly ones are held at st margaret's which is the smaller one nearby. you also have house assemblies, the dates of which are not evenly distributed at all and im convinced it's based on a series of random numbers because we've definitely had more than the other houses so far (not complaining tho, the head of wilberforce does great assemblies)

i really like the people. it's really easy to make friends as during the first couple of days everyone's trying to make friends and it helps if there are a couple of people that are in a few of your classes (you're doing bio chem and maths so that may be the case). it's really diverse, a lot more than my old school so im always meeting people from different cultures and backgrounds
sweetsmile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
Hey im also a year 12 at hwsf so I'll try and answer a few of your questions 😌

the teachers (especially the younger ones) are full of bantz lmao but it really depends on your classes, if you're like me and have your newly acquired friends in loads of your classes it's great. a good tip if/when you decide to come here, make sure your class has a whatsapp group chat. they really helped me to get to know everyone (and occasionally talk about work!)

anyway what subject is your interview in? mine was maths which probs won't help but the general structure is they ask you what you enjoy about your chosen subject and then focus the main question on that so you're answering something you're comfortable with and enjoy. i found mine really fun; it's so satisfying when you get to an answer while discussing it with someone who may have studied that topic in depth at university

tips for interview honestly just be yourself, don't try and prepare or anything because it should just be like a natural conversation and you should enjoy it. seems a bit counter productive but really all you should be doing is furthering your knowledge of your subject so you have something interesting to talk about

dw after my exams i was like 'the only way im getting in is if my maths was 👌👌👌' (fortunately it was. or my french wasn't as bad as expected idk) so you've probably done a lot better than you think. They mark it according to your working out so even if you don't get a final answer they're more interested in the process and whether you'd be a good scholar here lol

we have abbey assemblies every month or so and it is nice definitely, but our normal weekly ones are held at st margaret's which is the smaller one nearby. you also have house assemblies, the dates of which are not evenly distributed at all and im convinced it's based on a series of random numbers because we've definitely had more than the other houses so far (not complaining tho, the head of wilberforce does great assemblies)

i really like the people. it's really easy to make friends as during the first couple of days everyone's trying to make friends and it helps if there are a couple of people that are in a few of your classes (you're doing bio chem and maths so that may be the case). it's really diverse, a lot more than my old school so im always meeting people from different cultures and backgrounds
Hey thats so cool, i love joking around and if teachers are too serious it kinda kills the mood, but of course i do pay attention when learning. Whatsapp group chat.... so how does this group come about? As in how do you even know there is a group chat and what if no one adds you to it? Omg im asking too many questions and going a bit crazy lol. I have no idea if im going to even get an interview so.. yeah. Lol

I'll have to see what happens. Btw there are a lot of hot guys just putting it out there, i saw on the open day 😅😅😅😅 not gonna lie.
Vanilla Cupcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey thats so cool, i love joking around and if teachers are too serious it kinda kills the mood, but of course i do pay attention when learning. Whatsapp group chat.... so how does this group come about? As in how do you even know there is a group chat and what if no one adds you to it? Omg im asking too many questions and going a bit crazy lol. I have no idea if im going to even get an interview so.. yeah. Lol

I'll have to see what happens. Btw there are a lot of hot guys just putting it out there, i saw on the open day 😅😅😅😅 not gonna lie.
it just.. kinda comes about. lmao i was lucky that we set one up for maths right at the start of term to discuss hw and just chat generally although there is a lot more of the latter compared to the former. there'll probably be someone who sets it up but idk it just happens. I'm sure you'll be added 😂😂 if you're concerned enough to be on tsr you've almost certainly got an interview, don't worry about it!

(i can attest to that last point, just don't let them distract you from learning )
sweetsmile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
it just.. kinda comes about. lmao i was lucky that we set one up for maths right at the start of term to discuss hw and just chat generally although there is a lot more of the latter compared to the former. there'll probably be someone who sets it up but idk it just happens. I'm sure you'll be added 😂😂 if you're concerned enough to be on tsr you've almost certainly got an interview, don't worry about it!

(i can attest to that last point, just don't let them distract you from learning )
Bahaha of course, thanks for re-assuring me, put my mind at ease cheers x
earthtomadi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow, by the way thats really nice to hear that some teachers can have bants because i kind of need that in lesson to keep it a bit alive lol. Also i wanted to ask what was it like during the interview as in what type of questions did they ask? Of course for you its different you did english literature, but what tips would you give? ... thats if i get through to the interview stage. I swear i answered everything wrong 😂 but for bio and chem im predicted A*. It all went south.

The interview is so nice. They generally ask all students of all subjects what they enjoy the most about the subject you're being interviewed for, and for that I suggest you just be honest about what you love the most. They like to hear you did a bit of extra reading around a topic that interested you from that subject - (you don't have to read books obviously if you don't want to; just research it and read some articles and pick one you want to talk about - they're looking for a curious mind.)
It's very much like a really good discussion between the teacher and you.
Then the last part is they'll show you a question (all subjects do this) and they want you to work your way through the question. They do help you when you need it. Again, it's about how 'teach-able' you are.
That's it! You come out of it feeling really good as far as I know from experience and from others.

And yeah assemblies in the Abbey are great! It's nice to be able to experience something most people don't on a termly basis.

Vanilla Cupcake is right about everything else. She gives good advice too 😁
sweetsmile
Rep:
?
The interview is so nice. They generally ask all students of all subjects what they enjoy the most about the subject you're being interviewed for, and for that I suggest you just be honest about what you love the most. They like to hear you did a bit of extra reading around a topic that interested you from that subject - (you don't have to read books obviously if you don't want to; just research it and read some articles and pick one you want to talk about - they're looking for a curious mind.)
It's very much like a really good discussion between the teacher and you.
Then the last part is they'll show you a question (all subjects do this) and they want you to work your way through the question. They do help you when you need it. Again, it's about how 'teach-able' you are.
That's it! You come out of it feeling really good as far as I know from experience and from others.

And yeah assemblies in the Abbey are great! It's nice to be able to experience something most people don't on a termly basis.

Vanilla Cupcake is right about everything else. She gives good advice too 😁
How is travelling for you there? Its right in central london so during rush hour i cant imagine how to go through it everyday. Im really keen on getting along with the teachers cos as soon as i dislike one, i usually tend to not put in as much effort as i dont feel the need to ask questions and engage in a conversation with someone im not fond of. I dont have to be besties with them, just someone to confide with and feel comfortable enough to go to, to ask for help. But there is always that one teacher no one likes. It happens. But if its majority... theres a problem. 🙃

And yup vanilla cupcake does have good advice! 》😄
earthtomadi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How is travelling for you there? Its right in central london so during rush hour i cant imagine how to go through it everyday. Im really keen on getting along with the teachers cos as soon as i dislike one, i usually tend to not put in as much effort as i dont feel the need to ask questions and engage in a conversation with someone im not fond of. I dont have to be besties with them, just someone to confide with and feel comfortable enough to go to, to ask for help. But there is always that one teacher no one likes. It happens. But if its majority... theres a problem. 🙃

And yup vanilla cupcake does have good advice! 》😄
I live in the East so it takes me about 40 mins (sometimes even less on a good day) to get to school, using 2 trains. Generally, the tube during rush hour in the morning is worse than after school because you are sandwiched between people. But you do learn to live with it. I think the worst part is when there's a problem with your route - especially strikes. The recent strike that happened was a nightmare for everyone. I know people who walked 1-2 hours to and from school. The journey is tiring but it sort of becomes a routine so you get used to it.
On a normal day, it's fine, but you just have to make sure to plan your journey ahead.

I get what you mean about the teachers. Lucky for you, most science classes have 2 teachers each and so it's unlikely for you to get two terrible teachers. The Maths department are great, and if you don't like your teacher, you can always ask other Maths teachers for help. As far as I know, Philosophy has a smaller department but still good teachers.
sweetsmile
Rep:
?
I live in the East so it takes me about 40 mins (sometimes even less on a good day) to get to school, using 2 trains. Generally, the tube during rush hour in the morning is worse than after school because you are sandwiched between people. But you do learn to live with it. I think the worst part is when there's a problem with your route - especially strikes. The recent strike that happened was a nightmare for everyone. I know people who walked 1-2 hours to and from school. The journey is tiring but it sort of becomes a routine so you get used to it.
On a normal day, it's fine, but you just have to make sure to plan your journey ahead.

I get what you mean about the teachers. Lucky for you, most science classes have 2 teachers each and so it's unlikely for you to get two terrible teachers. The Maths department are great, and if you don't like your teacher, you can always ask other Maths teachers for help. As far as I know, Philosophy has a smaller department but still good teachers.
Hey im from East too! Yeah my parents are a bit cautious about this sixth form because of this but for me personally, i dont mind as long as i enjoy where i study. I mean yeah things like strikes are a pain in the arse, i kinda get why they're saying that. Lol i got lost when i went for the open day... wasnt fun
sweetsmile
Rep:
?

Hey, i was going to ask you something but i dont expect you to know it because students dont always know everything, so its unfair for me to throw so many questions at you. I did my exam later than most people and i havent got a reply back so could it be because of this? But i also think maybe i just didnt get in. But who knows! Maybe i should wait
earthtomadi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, i was going to ask you something but i dont expect you to know it because students dont always know everything, so its unfair for me to throw so many questions at you. I did my exam later than most people and i havent got a reply back so could it be because of this? But i also think maybe i just didnt get in. But who knows! Maybe i should wait
Lol, yes you are right about that. I'm not too sure if that might affect when you do your interview or not. Sorry about that. I don't want to give false hope, but you don't have to completely dismiss the fact that you may have a later interview than others. I would maybe suggest emailing the school in a couple weeks' time if you haven't heard back yet. They do reply and usually they're quite helpful so try that.
sweetsmile
Rep:
?
Lol, yes you are right about that. I'm not too sure if that might affect when you do your interview or not. Sorry about that. I don't want to give false hope, but you don't have to completely dismiss the fact that you may have a later interview than others. I would maybe suggest emailing the school in a couple weeks' time if you haven't heard back yet. They do reply and usually they're quite helpful so try that.
Thanks, i have emailed them yesterday yet no reply, guess i'll wait. Patience is virtue. 😅
Redbear21
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey I have my interview in philosophy next week, does anyone know what sort of thing they will ask?? Also I have always been to a private school all my life, is it rare to get someone coming from a private school at Harris?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.96%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.96%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (78)
18.53%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.38%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.75%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.41%