Which stadiums have the best/worst atmospheres? Watch

Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This debate could go for forever but we're going to try and end it today! (Or at least by the end of this week :ninja:) Which football stadiums in your opinion have the best and worst atmospheres?

Being an avid Liverpool fan...Anfield on European night is just special. You'll Never Walk Alone still gives me goosepimples. Upton Park (:moon:) had a cracking atmosphere aswell! I'm also the first to admit that Anfield can be pretty dead at domestic games but (and I'm going to be shot down for this but hey, it's my opinion ) Old Trafford is really quiet on matchdays too.

So which stadiums do you believe have the best and worst atmospheres?

username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anfield on these 'special European nights' is a bit of a myth imo, once that one song has finished it's as dead as anywhere when the match is being played.

If you're on about this country, nowhere is that impressive, and this is frustrating because they should be good. Pretty much every ground in the Premier League is dead. You'd have to go to the lower leagues to see decent support. Maybe Celtic/Rangers in the UK. The Turks or South Americans are probably the best I've seen. Somewhere overseas anyway.

I don't think it's cos we're inferior fans (for the most part) it's just too difficult to get anything going. Restrictions on flags/banners, ticket prices, not being allowed to stand, stupid rules on alcohol etc.

Worst: Most grounds in London (special mentions to Wembley & the Emirates) & Old Trafford.

EDIT: Liverpool's away support is good though.
Sillylilly999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am going to be totally bias, and you probably have never been seen as we are terrible, but Rotherham United's ground (the New York Staidum) has a fantastic atmosphere when we aren't playing the worst we have ever played in the clubs history.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Anfield on these 'special European nights' is a bit of a myth imo, once that one song has finished it's as dead as anywhere when the match is being played.

If you're on about this country, nowhere is that impressive, and this is frustrating because they should be good. Pretty much every ground in the Premier League is dead. You'd have to go to the lower leagues to see decent support. Maybe Celtic/Rangers in the UK. The Turks or South Americans are probably the best I've seen. Somewhere overseas anyway.

I don't think it's cos we're inferior fans (for the most part) it's just too difficult to get anything going. Restrictions on flags/banners, ticket prices, not being allowed to stand, stupid rules on alcohol etc.

Worst: Most grounds in London (special mentions to Wembley & the Emirates) & Old Trafford.

PRSOM
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The old White Hart Lane...
-srv-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I assume this is country-specific. Best I've seen is Selhurst Park. Worst is The Emirates.

An apt thread given the debate about safe standing has resurfaced.
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

I have to respectfully disagree with this :lol: Though, it may just have been the big European games I've attended.

The Bundesliga looks fantastic for this, not gonna lie.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Deyesy)
I have to respectfully disagree with this :lol: Though, it may just have been the big European games I've attended.

The Bundesliga looks fantastic for this, not gonna lie.
Obviously for a big game it will be better but that's the same anywhere. I could post numerous clips from Villa Park where it's been decent. But most of the time it's ****e. YNWA being played as ITV zoom in on the fans and repeat the phrase 'special European nights' in the pre match build up perpetuates the myth that Anfield is a cauldron of noise imo.
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Emirates and Old Trafford are almost dead for atmosphere, Carrow Road is normally good for atmosphere as well as Hillsborough.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anfield's famous atmosphere is a complete myth. It's no better than Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge.

Wave their stupid flags around & go completely silent as soon as the actual game starts.
.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Best i've been to is Stuttgart or Rapid Vienna. 100x better than any teams in the Premier League. Worst would be Craven Cottage or the Bernabeu tbh...
Fradders98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Premier league wise imo
Good- Stoke, Palace, upton park used to be good the new ground they have is terrible.

Worst- honestly anfield is a myth, old trafford, emirates

In general the atmosphere in the top flight is dead, the premier league, day trippers and tourists have killed the game. Its all about the lower leagues in my opinion
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wrong ended a cup game at Derby (Liverpool fan) and honestly it was the worst atmosphere I have ever experienced. And the Liverpool away croud was the loudest, most energetic and fullest part - wish I was stood with them lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hogree
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Best I've been at in the Prem, defo Selhurst Park
gomeshelen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Worst stadium: Dumbarton's home ground, the pies were green
Best stadium: Kilmarnock, the pies were godly
alan55
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My favorite is old trafford stadium. It is the largest club football stadium in the United Kingdom and it has turned into a legendary battlefield hosting Manchester United. It's worth take a stadium tour to overview the stadium with the eyes of the legendary football teams. As for me this stadium has best atmosphere.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alan55)
My favorite is old trafford stadium. It is the largest club football stadium in the United Kingdom and it has turned into a legendary battlefield hosting Manchester United. It's worth take a stadium tour to overview the stadium with the eyes of the legendary football teams. As for me this stadium has best atmosphere.
You've never been to Old Trafford have you?
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
You've never been to Old Trafford have you?
Thought that as well. Aside from the fact it's quiet it's also a dump with the worst views in the league.

sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aside from the fact it's quiet it's also a dump with the worst views in the league.
Don't see the problem with those pictures tbh. Almost every old ground has parts where the view is far away or restricted.

Here is what i've seen or experienced in my first 2 games at Old Trafford this season though.

- A man with a Chelsea season ticket in his phone case pocket sat in front of me.
- Two ladies attempting to Facetime the entire game.
- Dozens of people begging for autographs from away players before and after the game.
- Someone getting a selfie with Lucas Moura after he'd just scored twice against them.
- Soemone who was glad Harry Kane scored as he was their fantasy football captain.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sr90)
Don't see the problem with those pictures tbh. Almost every old ground has parts where the view is far away or restricted.
Not as bad as that they don't.

The problem is that when the North stand was built for the Euros, whoever designed it didn't think ahead in terms of future expansion on the other stands and had the North stand roof slope down really badly to fit in with the east and west stands, so what you have is a roof that is so ridiculously sloped on three sides of the pitch you can see nothing but the pitch in large areas of the ground.

It's an awful stadium.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.73%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.65%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.2%
It might lead to more bullying (132)
38.6%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise