Medicine course? Watch

mcdonaldkylie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know this is a bit of a stupid question but what do you actually do in uni when studying medicine? When I go and see a doctor, they just seem to know all the types of disease and infection off by heart, so do you just learn about different types of infection and medical treatment or is that just a small part of it?
Yammy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Google?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mcdonaldkylie)
I know this is a bit of a stupid question but what do you actually do in uni when studying medicine? When I go and see a doctor, they just seem to know all the types of disease and infection off by heart, so do you just learn about different types of infection and medical treatment or is that just a small part of it?
Well for a start, medical education doesn't end with medical school. Qualified doctors carry on studying and taking exams and it takes many years to achieve that level of expertise which you see when you visit a consultant.

Medical school is traditionally split into two phases: preclinical medicine where you learn the theoretical basis of medicine e.g. anatomy, biochemistry, pharmacology etc, and clinical medicine where you complete placements in hospitals and GP surgeries in various specialties e.g. general medicine, surgery, psychiatry, paediatrics, etc.

That's a very big simplification, as medical schools nowadays have developed numerous different teaching delivery styles and methods, but the gist is still the same: you need to learn a combination of basic science and practical clinical skills in order to pass the degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.52%
Excited (156)
9.13%
Worried (306)
17.91%
Terrified (380)
22.24%
Meh (168)
9.83%
Confused (37)
2.17%