Turn on thread page Beta

After Trump/Brexit, does anyone else feel like they live in a parallel society? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was quite shocked by both Trump and Brexit. Reason being that I was very much pro EU/Clinton yet somehow there are a large amount of people out there who think differently.

However what confuses me is that I don't know who they are. I live in London and I don't know a single person within my social circle who was for Brexit, so I don't know who are all these people here who voted for Brexit. I have several American friends and all of them were for Clinton (or at least against Trump) so I don't know who are all these Americans who are voting for Trump. I'm originally not from the UK and have had quite an international life and everyone I know, both back home and from other places has been pro EU/Clinton.

I feel like I live in a parallel society where the people who represent the viewpoints of Brexit/Trump are completely unrepresented. Does anyone else feel like they're in such a bubble?

But then I started thinking about it, perhaps its because I don't know anyone "working class" (who were more likely to have voted for these decisions):
    All my friends and family have university degrees, I don't know really know anyone who just finished school and went to get a job thereafter. I don't know anyone who does manual labor or a "simple" job, everyone is in a white collar job. I myself work in finance so a lot of my friends are from the same industry. Even the girls I've dated have been university educated with white collar careers. Could this be the reason?

Has anyone else found themselves in such a situation?

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that white americans just want to make America "white again" hence why racism as increased. The funny thing is it was over 50% of white Americans that were female. By them voting for trump they're allowing him to continue being racist and someone who hates women and disrespects them. It's shocking, no one can say that America isn't full of racism. When Obama became president all the white Americans disrespected him and now those white Americans have no respect from PoC, Muslims LGBT.
    Bernie sanders would of beat trump any time of day and I'll tell you that now. Clinton isn't any better.
    Anyone voted for trump, I have no respect for you. Idc if you're white. I don't like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snakesnake)
    No, the inverse one.

I voted for Brexit, yet I don't know anyone amongst my social circle and family who didn't vote Remain.

Like them I am wealthy and privileged, socially liberal, and have done well out of globalisation. They can't understand my view point at all, why would I take the risk of such instability by voting against the status quo?

It is pointless to try and say that it is a point of principle, about Britain's right to self government again. They don't get it, I am some sort of class traitor, voting against my economic self interest.

But it doesn't work the other way. Remain voters don't get the Leave point of view as you yourself describe. But I totally understand the Remain mindset. There is no Leave bubble, or if there is I haven't experienced it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hambi123)
    I
    Bernie sanders would of beat trump any time of day and I'll tell you that now.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    He really wouldn't have.

ReputationRep:
    I was quite shocked by both Trump and Brexit. Reason being that I was very much pro EU/Clinton yet somehow there are a large amount of people out there who think differently.

However what confuses me is that I don't know who they are. I live in London and I don't know a single person within my social circle who was for Brexit, so I don't know who are all these people here who voted for Brexit. I have several American friends and all of them were for Clinton (or at least against Trump) so I don't know who are all these Americans who are voting for Trump. I'm originally not from the UK and have had quite an international life and everyone I know, both back home and from other places has been pro EU/Clinton.

I feel like I live in a parallel society where the people who represent the viewpoints of Brexit/Trump are completely unrepresented. Does anyone else feel like they're in such a bubble?

But then I started thinking about it, perhaps its because I don't know anyone "working class" (who were more likely to have voted for these decisions):
    All my friends and family have university degrees, I don't know really know anyone who just finished school and went to get a job thereafter. I don't know anyone who does manual labor or a "simple" job, everyone is in a white collar job. I myself work in finance so a lot of my friends are from the same industry. Even the girls I've dated have been university educated with white collar careers. Could this be the reason?

You don't live in a parallel society, these people have been here all along. But loads of people are just keeping their head down or putting it on, essentially because they're forced to for fear of being shamed, hectored or worse.

This is the scenario that Blair's 'third way' created. By marrying the causes of equality and social justice with authoritarianism he consigned them to oblivion.

ReputationRep:

The notion that you think those are the only kind of people who could possibly disagree with you (because if they're not educated like you they're obviously stupid, right?) is the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Silent majority. While the outraged silver-spoon lefty college students were very vocal in labelling the Brexiters/Trump supporters sexist racist bigot homophobes™, and thus noticed more in the public sphere, the opposition quietly and effectively got on with supporting the campaign which they aligned to.

If the left wants to experience any kind of political success in the coming years, they need to radically rethink their approach to convincing people of their cause.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my friends are brexiters but they're not racist.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmhh.

Start of 2016: Liberal SJWs protest for their """rights""" while blaming white males for everything.

End of 2016: They get stumped so bad, that brexit happens and Trump wins.

DEUS VULT!

ReputationRep:
    Snakesnake - You are a Londoner who is a young student. That wasn't the demographic that voted to leave.

London overwhelmingly voted remain, but nearly every place outside of London voted to leave. That's why. You just don't have a large enough social circle.

ReputationRep:
    But then I started thinking about it, perhaps its because I don't know anyone "working class" (who were more likely to have voted for these decisions): All my friends and family have university degrees, I don't know really know anyone who just finished school and went to get a job thereafter. I don't know anyone who does manual labor or a "simple" job, everyone is in a white collar job. I myself work in finance so a lot of my friends are from the same industry. Even the girls I've dated have been university educated with white collar careers. Could this be the reason?
    I'm also a member of a white collar profession but my job puts me in contact with people from all walks of life so whilst I was surprised by Brexit and Trump, it didn't feel incomprehensible to me. It sounds like you live in a bit of a bubble. I doubt you'll ever exit that bubble unless you make a conscious effort to do so. Also, I'm going to be judgemental here and tell you that I doubt you'd last long outside the bubble.

Also. Far too many politicians (both main UK parties and beyond) are like you. Nothing personal, but you should know you are indirectly part of the reason we Brexited.

ReputationRep:
    I was shocked by Brexit (my heart never expected a win even after i put money on Brexit - on the basis of cold, hard, polling). I was not really shocked by Trump winning though albeit i never expected it.

It seems to me that all that has really happened is that the native people of our countries have finally had enough of being forgotten and ignored both economically (the economy is doing great because London is doing well so who cares what happens in Carlile) and culturally (you must embrace the fact that the country is being filled with people who speak a different language half the time and go to the mosque). Complacency and multiculturalism have killed the establishment.

ReputationRep:
    Is that the reason why? More than likely, yes. The people who are well off don't tend to get hit by poor government decisions, they don't tend to suffer when industry relocates to foreign countries for the sake of cheap labor. Not to mention that London was heavily in favor of staying in the EU, some even going as far as protesting to leave to UK.

The North, throughout history, has always been more about industry, and with industry slowly moving elsewhere, unemployment rises. When unemployment rises, people look for reasons why, and where do you, more often than not, see a lot of foreign workers? Working class jobs, low skill jobs, ect... I really don' think it's something you'll understand unless you see it yourself. I thought it was a massive exaggeration, but a good portion of the people at my workplace are foreigners, many of which can just barely speak English (including 2 managers, if not more).

I suspect the same thing is happening in the US as well. Because of this, support for keeping foreigners out of the country grows, sooner or later someone comes along and uses this to push their agenda, though it's not the only reason people may vote that way.

I too was shocked by the Brexit vote, but honestly, after seeing the way the EU Ref went, the whole thing with Trump just seemed like a repeat of that. Hilary supports just outright painting all Trump supporters as racist? Where have we seen that before? It's no surprise that Trump won, even if there didn't seem to be a lot of people who openly supported him.

Not to mention that people in the US tend to take politics far too seriously... Beating people up because they support X, destroying someone's belongings for the same thing. Need I mention the people rioting about Trump being elected president despite the fact that HE HASN'T BEEN ELECTED YET*?

*The US is a republic, not a direct democracy. The president is elected by state representatives who consider their state's opinion but do not have to follow it, although 29 states, and the District of Columbia, have legal grounds to charge unfaithful representatives with a misdemeanor.

ReputationRep:
    Try living in Luton mate, then you'll know the true meaning of a parallel society :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.