Mass spectrometry Watch

ProbablyJade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Please can somebody explain the symbol 'm/z' to me? I understand it means mass over charge... but what over what charge, i'm slightly confused?
Thanks!
MyNameIsSaraOk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mass to charge ratio
d010534
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ProbablyJade)
Please can somebody explain the symbol 'm/z' to me? I understand it means mass over charge... but what over what charge, i'm slightly confused?
Thanks!
So you know how the sample is ionised? it's charge of the ion that's formed. In most cases, this is 1, so the m/z value will just tell you the mass of the particles that make up the sample.
ProbablyJade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by d010534)
So you know how the sample is ionised? it's charge of the ion that's formed. In most cases, this is 1, so the m/z value will just tell you the mass of the particles that make up the sample.
Ohhhhh... its actually that simple? Just to be clear i understand: so the atoms are ionized forming a charge of +1 (can it be +2 etc?) and then the mass is the mass of the ion so for oxygen it would be 16 so them/z of oxygen is 16/1?
d010534
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ProbablyJade)
Ohhhhh... its actually that simple? Just to be clear i understand: so the atoms are ionized forming a charge of +1 (can it be +2 etc?) and then the mass is the mass of the ion so for oxygen it would be 16 so them/z of oxygen is 16/1?
Yes, most of the time, a +1 charge is formed. Sometimes, a +2 charge forms and so the m/z value would be half the mass of the particles in the sample.
Oxygen (the molecule) is O2 therefore its mass would actually be 32 because there are two atoms of O2 in one Oxygen molecule
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise