Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get back to uni after an sort of gap year but worried about attendance issues.

I'm planning to be working a lot and got fair bit of family commitments.
    I was planning to dump a lot of my lectures during both semesters, I still plan to get through the course, my first year was a piece of cake, the lectures really weren't very helpful and most is online so I can pretty much learn on my own.

I still want to be attending all group sessions and exams but dump most of the lectures, how do think the university will react to this?..will i risk getting kicked out?..how much can i push my luck?...

I'll give the university an call and speak to them about it but what are your thoughts?..
    It's the only way, I'll probably get back to uni in the next X amount of years ( I have an child too )

ReputationRep:
    OK, with regards to tutorials the policy is miss 3 tutorials and they have the right to fail you (I have never seen that happen) but if you are on good terms with your tutorial teacher then I am sure you can come to mutual understanding.
    With regards to lectures, attendance is not recorded. Therefore you can "get away" with not attending any. I do not recommend this but last semester I was in a predicament where I was working full-time, couldn't attend a single lecture yet aced my exams (with revision).

ReputationRep:
    Let's be realistic, the lectures are not very helpful, besides you probably learn a lot better studying it at home at your own pace than skimming through it all.

With tutorials, I can understand, How many tutorials are you going through in your course, I'm looking to do business management, How many should i sort of expect?.. I used to do 1 lecture a week in both semesters of my last engineering course which was ok..

When you say they don't monitor the attendance at lectures, Is this at Herts uni or different and which course?..in my previous uni (Derby), they used to scan our card at end of each lecture.

ReputationRep:
    With most subjects in the business school you get 1 lecture and 1 tutorial (x4 modules), with business management I know you have a 2 hour lectorial (lecture and tutorial combined) so you can't miss it.

Uni of Herts, lecture attendance is not measured at all (strangely). I do know that if you don't swipe into the uni at least once a week you will get a notification but attending lectures seems to be completely unregulated.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow it makes me glad that the attendance is not monitored but definitely going to discuss with lecturers before I even apply to the course, not willing to risk 9K to get kicked out of a course.

Are you doing Bachelor's and I'm going to assume not first year because 4 Modules per semester is a bit much. My last course only had 2 Compulsory modules but I did 3 per semester out of Choice.
    I'm genuinely shocked at how much you seem to know about attendance recording at herts, thanks for the info dude!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes bachelors. My course was a combination so I was not able to choose my modules.
    Business Management (for me) was a double semester module so you could argue I also did 3 modules (not out of choice though!)

I forgot to mention, sometimes the lecturer himself might record attendance (paper register) for whatever reason. For example, those who attended all the finance lectures went on a trip to the Bank of England, in an economics lecture we had to select assessment dates, in another lecture revision packs were handed out etc. So make sure you attend the first few lectures, gauge how you feel and make a decision accordingly. Good luck.
    hamza ahmad hamzaahmad786 luton hertfordshire

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 15, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.