Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is it possible to be accepted into med school without A'level Chemistry? Also why is Chemistry considered more important than Biology?

I thought surely Biology has more in common with Medicine that chemistry does. I mean a lot of A level chemistry includes things like Inorganic chemistry, oxidation rates, orbitals, thermodynamics etc which don't really have a lot of relevance to Medicine.
RDB1826
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A-Level Chemistry is essential for applications to Medicine (for UK medical schools at least). I assume its a better predictor of whether someone can cope with the workload at medical school, its widely regarded much harder than A-Level Biology. Oxidation rates, inorganic and organic chemistry do have relevance to Medicine I reckon, especially things like understanding drug action and tissue behaviour.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Is it possible to be accepted into med school without A'level Chemistry? Also why is Chemistry considered more important than Biology?

I thought surely Biology has more in common with Medicine that chemistry does. I mean a lot of A level chemistry includes things like Inorganic chemistry, oxidation rates, orbitals, thermodynamics etc which don't really have a lot of relevance to Medicine.
Everything you have listed below about chemistry has a lot of relevance. If you havent done A2 chemistry and biology, it's likely you won't be aware of it.

You need chemistry for biochemistry topics. There's varying levels of topics involving chemistry content depending on which medical school you go, like there is with any degree at any university

Basically, you kind of need it for some topics, and it's a hard A Level as well, so it thins the herd of applicants; that's essentially it.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not having A-Level chemistry severely limits your options to do medicine even at graduate level - with the competition for medicine as it is, why would you want to make it even harder for yourself?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's almost zero pure chemistry in the degree, and what there is isn't taught in A level chemistry. It's just an (irrelevant) entry requirement.
Asad_2015
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
no, if your applying to potato university of unicorn institutions, in twinkle island.
sfaraj
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
no uni will take you on without chem a-level, although they like as bio and alevel bio if you've done it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.03%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (98)
32.03%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.42%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads