Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to be accepted into med school without A'level Chemistry? Also why is Chemistry considered more important than Biology?

I thought surely Biology has more in common with Medicine that chemistry does. I mean a lot of A level chemistry includes things like Inorganic chemistry, oxidation rates, orbitals, thermodynamics etc which don't really have a lot of relevance to Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    A-Level Chemistry is essential for applications to Medicine (for UK medical schools at least). I assume its a better predictor of whether someone can cope with the workload at medical school, its widely regarded much harder than A-Level Biology. Oxidation rates, inorganic and organic chemistry do have relevance to Medicine I reckon, especially things like understanding drug action and tissue behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Is it possible to be accepted into med school without A'level Chemistry? Also why is Chemistry considered more important than Biology?

I thought surely Biology has more in common with Medicine that chemistry does. I mean a lot of A level chemistry includes things like Inorganic chemistry, oxidation rates, orbitals, thermodynamics etc which don't really have a lot of relevance to Medicine.
    Everything you have listed below about chemistry has a lot of relevance. If you havent done A2 chemistry and biology, it's likely you won't be aware of it.

You need chemistry for biochemistry topics. There's varying levels of topics involving chemistry content depending on which medical school you go, like there is with any degree at any university

Basically, you kind of need it for some topics, and it's a hard A Level as well, so it thins the herd of applicants; that's essentially it.

ReputationRep:
    Not having A-Level chemistry severely limits your options to do medicine even at graduate level - with the competition for medicine as it is, why would you want to make it even harder for yourself?

ReputationRep:
    There's almost zero pure chemistry in the degree, and what there is isn't taught in A level chemistry. It's just an (irrelevant) entry requirement.

ReputationRep:
    no, if your applying to potato university of unicorn institutions, in twinkle island.

ReputationRep:
    no uni will take you on without chem a-level, although they like as bio and alevel bio if you've done it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.