Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling on what subjects to take for A LEVELS! I am currently taking for GCSE triple ,additional, core science and then geography,french, re,maths, English language and literature. I guess the fundamental problem is that I have know idea what to become when I am older >.<

ReputationRep:
    Have a think about what subjects you like - which subjects would you be happy to spend lots of time on? You don't need to know what you want to do when you're older...I'm in year 13 and still have no idea! Right now, just focus on the subjects you currently do and just think which ones you like working on/are good at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren-x-)
    Have a think about what subjects you like - which subjects would you be happy to spend lots of time on? You don't need to know what you want to do when you're older...I'm in year 13 and still have no idea! Right now, just focus on the subjects you currently do and just think which ones you like working on/are good at
    Thanks a lot. I will keep in mind what you have said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxsadisticangel)
    I am struggling on what subjects to take for A LEVELS! I am currently taking for GCSE triple ,additional, core science and then geography,french, re,maths, English language and literature. I guess the fundamental problem is that I have know idea what to become when I am older >.<
    If you're considering university, by taking chemistry and maths you are eligible for quite a lot of the courses already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corpeal)
    If you're considering university, by taking chemistry and maths you are eligible for quite a lot of the courses already.
    The thing is maths just isn't my strongest point. Would there be any point in taking a subject I dislike and I am not good at? I do want to go to Uni but I just don't want to take maths... EVER AGAIN.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know what you want to do when you're older, take a levels based on what you enjoy! or, alternatively what you're good at. If you want to go into medicine, obviously that has strict a level options (Biology, Chemistry, Maths/Physics/social science) but if you're looking to keep your options open, take whatever you think looks interesting but make sure you're taking 2 facilitating subjects so that if you do decide to go to a good uni you have a good change of getting in. I do English Lit, Philosophy, History and Government and Politics at A level and I would highly recommend English Lit or Philosophy, if you enjoy R.E, philosophy would be an excellent choice as it's God from a non believers perspective paired with modules on ethics, mind, perception and lots of interesting concepts. Do not take something you dislike just because it looks good!

ReputationRep:
    What subjects do you enjoy now and what A level subjects look interesting to you right now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaaayxp)
    What subjects do you enjoy now and what A level subjects look interesting to you right now?
    The sciences I guess since I am doing Triple Science.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is maths just isn't my strongest point. Would there be any point in taking a subject I dislike and I am not good at? I do want to go to Uni but I just don't want to take maths... EVER AGAIN.
    Well it highly depends on what area you'd like to study. Sciences, for example, generally requires a decent level of maths for you to study it, else you'd struggle with some of the calculations. History or other more 'essay-like' (poorly chosen word, i know.) subjects obviously would require minimal knowledge in it.

I've always been told to choose subjects you enjoy, because you (should) feel more motivated and curious enough to study it well. However, I find that sometimes, you do have to choose a subject you dislike, regardless of your preference. For instance, if you intend to go to a certain university and they require a certain subject for you to be eligible for the course, you may consider studying that 'hated/disliked' subject in order to be considered an applicant by them.

For me, although it's 'easier' than the choice you have, I forced myself to study drama at GCSES to improve my confidence etc. I knew that I'd need to either force myself to perform in-front of an audience, or fail that subject. (I realize it isn't always that drastic, but that was what I had felt at the time.)

Just fyi, I'm trying to inform you of both sides to choosing subjects (in my opinion) so that you make a choice that isn't later on regretted.

Also, regarding your seemingly poor performance in maths, consider this: I had achieved a grade B at GCSEs and an A at a-levels. Make of that as you will, but I honestly believe no one is 'bad' at anything. Unless you have a learning disability, or the subject requires a mind-set that is developed over a long period of time, you will be (eventually) at the same level, or greater than your peers.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.