Turn on thread page Beta

Language Problems? watch

In the past 6 months or so I've been experiencing mild problems with language that came on very suddenly. I just woke up one morning and found that I forgot how to type on the computer or text on my phone (fluently, I mean). It took me several days before I got to a point were typing wasn't painfully embarrassing, but it still isn't back to normal. I also suddenly spell many words wrong (even simple or common ones), get letters in the wrong order, and switch similar sounding words, synonyms or related words with each other, at times as much as every other sentence. It's also having an impact on my reading and listening comprehension. When I'm studying I often have to read a sentence even three or four times before I understand, and I can't make head nor tail of speech if someone else is talking at the same time. Sometimes it just goes in one ear and out the other.

Should I be concerned? Or am I overreacting? Some days it's very impacting and sometimes it's minimal, but it's still something that never used to happen...Who should I speak to about something like this? I'm not aware if this is the kind of thing I can bring up with my GP. I'm 20 and have never been diagnosed with dyslexia or anything, as I previously never had any problems, but my twin brother has also struggled in the past with language difficulties (but they never diagnosed anything as far as I'm aware, and he's been okay since secondary school). It's stressing me out now that I have a reading comprehension test next week and I don't know how I'll cope. Any insight would be appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In the past 6 months or so I've been experiencing mild problems with language that came on very suddenly. I just woke up one morning and found that I forgot how to type on the computer or text on my phone (fluently, I mean). It took me several days before I got to a point were typing wasn't painfully embarrassing, but it still isn't back to normal. I also suddenly spell many words wrong (even simple or common ones), get letters in the wrong order, and switch similar sounding words, synonyms or related words with each other, at times as much as every other sentence. It's also having an impact on my reading and listening comprehension. When I'm studying I often have to read a sentence even three or four times before I understand, and I can't make head nor tail of speech if someone else is talking at the same time. Sometimes it just goes in one ear and out the other.

Should I be concerned? Or am I overreacting? Some days it's very impacting and sometimes it's minimal, but it's still something that never used to happen...Who should I speak to about something like this? I'm not aware if this is the kind of thing I can bring up with my GP. I'm 20 and have never been diagnosed with dyslexia or anything, as I previously never had any problems, but my twin brother has also struggled in the past with language difficulties (but they never diagnosed anything as far as I'm aware, and he's been okay since secondary school). It's stressing me out now that I have a reading comprehension test next week and I don't know how I'll cope. Any insight would be appreciated.
    Anything abnormal that you are concerned about is something you can bring up with your GP. Sudden speech and language issues can actually be a sign of a stroke or other serious issues (though I don't think you should worry about that) so yes these problems are something you can see you GP about.
    If anything the fact that you have never been diagnosed with anything like dyslexia makes it more reasonable to see the GP.
    You can also call 111 if you're ever unsure about who to talk to. They are there to direct you to the best service to help you in the right timeframe.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say what's going on, it all sounds very odd. I would recommend you make an appointment with your GP and get checked out

ReputationRep:

I have dyscalculia - which seems to come and go. It is really weird - some days I can deal with numbers and some days - I get phone numbers wrong, can't add up and look and numbers and cannot recognise them.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers

I agree with the points made above. If this is concerning you, and it seems to be affecting you, then definitely see your GP. They can refer you for a test and see what might be happening, e.g a Dyslexia test. This could help with the support you receive with studies, and help to explain things for you If it was that sudden, it could have been a small stroke, like a TIA, which could have caused it, although I wouldn't worry about this too much if it's been 6 months since it, but definitely worth getting it checked out. I hope things work out

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.