Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flopifloor)
    Haha! I didn't mean it in the way "oh, they're so evil, they asked me for a 7!" but more as a reaction to whoever said they would never ask for a 7... I don't actually think it's evil at all to ask for a 7 in HL Physics. And anyways, it's not like they won't accept you if you miss you're offer by a few points...

Edit: oh! that was you!
    Shouldn't be a problem getting a 7 in it, if you plan on studying it at a higher level at any half-decent uni, tbh. That said, it does add unwanted pressure/worry around the exam period (Of which both are plentiful at the time!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurk)
    Shouldn't be a problem getting a 7 in it, if you plan on studying it at a higher level at any half-decent uni, tbh. That said, it does add unwanted pressure/worry around the exam period (Of which both are plentiful at the time!)
    In my case I couldn't stand physics paper 1, which ended being the paper that brought me down to a 5 in Phys HL.

ReputationRep:
    I am in somewhat of the same position. I should like to study physics at university, so I will be taking maths, physics, and chemistry at higher level. Will Oxbridge, etc care if I drop my history HL to SL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I am in somewhat of the same position. I should like to study physics at university, so I will be taking maths, physics, and chemistry at higher level. Will Oxbridge, etc care if I drop my history HL to SL?
    No.

In fact, all this 4 HL business is completely unnecessary. IB is not A-Levels. There's nowhere near as much grade inflation and the standard 3 HL and 3 SL plues EE and TOK is still seen as a very rigourous programme. Doing the standard programme and getting good predicted grades will get you Oxbridge interviews and Top 10 offers. There's really no need at all to do 4 HL unless you really love all four subjects that much.

PS History HL and history SL are very similar courses, but HL is a ***** of an exam whereas the SL exam is pretty comfy. Unless the extra material covered at HL really FASCINATES you, and you want to write essays on it, then drop it to SL. Oxbridge etc. won't give a crap.

ReputationRep:
    I was asked for 7 in maths HL when applying for university. My initial reaction was also: "That's evil". But thanks to that I went from disliking maths to setting a peace with the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhartha)
    In my case I couldn't stand physics paper 1, which ended being the paper that brought me down to a 5 in Phys HL.
    Paper 1? As in, multiple choice? That tends to be the easiest for many people. =/

ReputationRep:
    Yes for people who are keen on rote-learning. Not my thing really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    No.

In fact, all this 4 HL business is completely unnecessary. IB is not A-Levels. There's nowhere near as much grade inflation and the standard 3 HL and 3 SL plues EE and TOK is still seen as a very rigourous programme. Doing the standard programme and getting good predicted grades will get you Oxbridge interviews and Top 10 offers. There's really no need at all to do 4 HL unless you really love all four subjects that much.

PS History HL and history SL are very similar courses, but HL is a ***** of an exam whereas the SL exam is pretty comfy. Unless the extra material covered at HL really FASCINATES you, and you want to write essays on it, then drop it to SL. Oxbridge etc. won't give a crap.
    Of course doing 3 HLs and 3 SLs is very respected, doing 4 HLs is even more so. That's obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurk)
    Paper 1? As in, multiple choice? That tends to be the easiest for many people. =/
    It's a lovely thought that at Oxford I will never ever encounter pesky little circles numbered 1-4 requiring one to be filled in with a pencil number 2B.

ReputationRep:
    I was asked for 7 in maths HL when applying for university. My initial reaction was also: "That's evil". But thanks to that I went from disliking maths to setting a peace with the subject.
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    Of course doing 3 HLs and 3 SLs is very respected, doing 4 HLs is even more so. That's obvious.
    Yea but it's completely unnecessary. It will not put you at an advantage over a student with 3 HL who has better predicted grades, better extra-curriculars or a better personal statement. In fact, it will not really put you at much of an advantage over an otherwise equal student with 3 HL. You could also do 2 IBs at the same time, or 2 IBs and an Open University degree, that'd be even more respected, but what for?

ReputationRep:
    Yea but it's completely unnecessary. It will not put you at an advantage over a student with 3 HL who has better predicted grades, better extra-curriculars or a better personal statement. In fact, it will not really put you at much of an advantage over an otherwise equal student with 3 HL. You could also do 2 IBs at the same time, or 2 IBs and an Open University degree, that'd be even more respected, but what for?
    That's nonsense. Doing 4 (or 5) HL's will put you at an advantage - it shows that a) you're capable of taking on the workload b) you're well-rounded, academically, and c) you don't always opt for the easiest route through something, and that you possibly enjoy learning for the sake of learning.

There's a difference between getting an IB Diploma, and then getting an IB Diploma with style. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurk)
    That's nonsense. Doing 4 (or 5) HL's will put you at an advantage - it shows that a) you're capable of taking on the workload b) you're well-rounded, academically, and c) you don't always opt for the easiest route through something, and that you possibly enjoy learning for the sake of learning.

There's a difference between getting an IB Diploma, and then getting an IB Diploma with style. =)
    Whatever makes you happy. Really though, there is absolutely no difference. If you get a top score with 3 HL no-one's going to say "well, but you could have done 4 HL", and if you get a crap score with 4 HL you'll just have embarassed yourself by being over-ambitious.

a) Normal IB is regarded as enough work. It's not in a state of crisis as the "3 A-Levels" package is.
    b) Taking 6 subjects will make you well rounded academically as it is. Whether or not you take History SL or as your 6th HL and learn about the spanish civil war will not do that much for your academic curvature.
    c) You could just as simply prove that by taking demanding subjects. If you really want to do 4/5/6 HL just because you're THAT fascinated, that's great, but it's really not worth the extra effort in terms of impressing anyone. Score matters much more than number of HL. If you're confident you can get 45 with 5 HL then go for it I guess, otherwise concentrate on points.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever makes you happy. Really though, there is absolutely no difference. If you get a top score with 3 HL no-one's going to say "well, but you could have done 4 HL", and if you get a crap score with 4 HL you'll just have embarassed yourself by being over-ambitious.
    Of course. But for those who are capable of doing it, then why not do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurk)
    Of course. But for those who are capable of doing it, then why not do it?
    Nothing if you're keen enough. I just get the feeling that some people see it as a quasi requirement to getting into a good university, which is absolutely false.

ReputationRep:
    Doing 4 (or 5) higher levels just shows that you're good at cramming a lot of information.

I would like to warn all of you IB1 students. There's a big leap between silly predicted grades (I was predicted 44, completely ridiculous) and the actual exams. Especially given the fact that you will have to face situations such as having higher level chemistry on the same day as higher level history and similar outrageous exam situations. Now who's laughing at you for taking extra higher levels just to impress admissions tutors.

Also, there is no correlation between extra higher levels and first degrees at Oxbridge, which means that just because you did 6 HL's doesn't mean you will end up with a first from Oxford. In fact, the danger is that you will peak in terms of sustainable workforce during your high school years and come out with a 2.2.
    So no, don't do it unless you want to learn more.

ReputationRep:
    It depends upon the subject, really. Taking A1 or A2 as extra HL subjects shows ability, rather than simply talent for absorbing facts. There wouldn't be that much extra to revise, come exam period, compared to say, History or Biology as extra highers.

ReputationRep:
    Doing 4 (or 5) higher levels just shows that you're good at cramming a lot of information.
    Or good at manipulating the IB system.

ReputationRep:
    Following what was said in here before (too lazy to quote everyone).

Doing 4 or more HL is stupid, simple as that. Think of a scenario you take 4 HL and get 36. Now what would happen if you took 3HL? You would get more say 38. And 38 3HL is more impressive than 36 4HL. If you want to go to specific uni, the best way to prove yourself you are worthy is picking HL subjects that are similar to what you will STUDY IN FUTURE. Say wanna do geophysics so you take HL GEO, PHYS, MATH. And if you get 6-7s in all that shows you have the skills for geophysics and thus will probably be successful in your future studies leading to an offer. If you take ENG HL as well, it will impact your other grades, and if you get only 5-6s in the 3 most important, you wont be such a strong candidate. And there are usually only 2 primary subjects that correlate with your future studies, so why the hell take another one which nobody cares about?

Yes if you can get 45 with 4HL, than take it. But 45 alone gets you accepted into any uni (provided you have correct highers) by itself, why bother with extra? It will just make your IB life more miserable. I think theres a tendency to think about taking 4 HL because of A levels where the more you do the better. IB DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT. Personally to me a person taking 4HL looks very silly and does not know what he wants.

If a situation arises where there are 2 candidates with same total score and same score for primary HLs, but one has 3HL and the other 4HL, they will decide between these two using PS AND RECOMMENDATIONS!!! (Trust me on this one, I have been told this by few people doing the job). If you still cant see why 4HL are stupid, then you are hopeless...

Something else now, being asked for 7 in HL by uni is very infair IMO. In a way it is discriminating against IB and I believe if you bother them enough and send an oficial complaint you will win. The facts support it, 6/7 is an A and you cannot go better than A.

Someone said paper 1 multiple choice are easy let me correct you. In chemistry P1 is slightly harder than P2 because MP questions are very eays in general so they have to trick you and put harder stuff. But Chemistry is really not that bad.

Physics P1 is the most evil paper. Unless you love physics and have specific type of thinking, you will not get 7, IMO its one of the hardest papers in IB. You have formulas and everything, but the questions are incredibly tricky. If you think a question looks easy and you know the answer, you will be wrong. What I did was for every question I read the question and then thought to myself what is the trick for this ******.

Example: Water at temperature 28C cools down. What is the change of temperature in K when ice is formed?
    Dont read further and try to answer that first...

See that? They ask for CHANGE, but they word it so nastily that you will miss it and of course the answers are

A 273
    B 297
    C 237
    D 28

D being last and obviously very different from others and thus psychologically gets excluded unless you are fully aware of the trick.

After the test this guy was like "damn that question was so easy" all cocky and stuff only to be owned by me "dude they were asking for change of temp which is aways the same in C or K". Turned out I got it, the rest all put 273.

And its like that for every question. Seems very simple and they purposefully put it to you to guide you to the wrong answer. Very very evil p1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maffian)
    See that? They ask for CHANGE, but they word it so nastily that you will miss it and of course the answers are

A 273
    B 297
    C 237
    D 28

D being last and obviously very different from others and thus psychologically gets excluded unless you are fully aware of the trick.

Well, would you look at that. The IBC expects you to read the question! How so very unfair!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.