Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maffian)
    Following what was said in here before (too lazy to quote everyone).
    I agree with everything you said about taking 4HL, but if a student can't spot the "trick" in that physics question then they honestly don't deserve a 7, maybe not even a 6.

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody help me with my IB Subject choices?

I'm new to the IB and I just started last week.
    So many people are doing 4HL and 2SL's in my school and I am uncertain to whether I should change to 4 HL's.

I am currently doing the following subjects:
    HL Maths
    HL Chemistry
    HL Biology
    SL English A1
    SL Chinese B
    SL Economics

Should I change economics to HL? (I got an A at IGCSE)
    People say that the workload for 4 HL's is crazy. Is that true?
    Do universities care about your overall score, or do they care about how many HL you chose.

I also plan to goto Ivy League schools or Oxbridge, LSE, or UCL in UK. Would taking 3 HL's instead of 4 be a disadvantage to me?

Are predicted grades important as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyjung91)
    Can anybody help me with my IB Subject choices?

I'm new to the IB and I just started last week.
    So many people are doing 4HL and 2SL's in my school and I am uncertain to whether I should change to 4 HL's.

I am currently doing the following subjects:
    HL Maths
    HL Chemistry
    HL Biology
    SL English A1
    SL Chinese B
    SL Economics

Should I change economics to HL? (I got an A at IGCSE)
    People say that the workload for 4 HL's is crazy. Is that true?
    Do universities care about your overall score, or do they care about how many HL you chose.

I also plan to goto Ivy League schools or Oxbridge, LSE, or UCL in UK. Would taking 3 HL's instead of 4 be a disadvantage to me?

Are predicted grades important as well?
    ...It's a bit hard to advise you on your choice without knowing what you want to apply to uni for...In general though I'd say your choices are good. Your HLs are all respected subjects and Maths HL will open a lot of doors for you. SLs are fine too.

As I've said on this thread, in principle I think taking 4HL is a waste of time. Getting a single point more with 3 HL is worth more, unis care MUCH more about your score than the number of HL. 36 with 3 HL beats 35 with 4 HL any day. So unless you know you're going to get 45 whatever you do, stick with 3. Taking 3 HL is NEVER a disadvantage, IB is not A-Level, and no-one is going to care that you didn't do 4 HL.

Also Econ HL is not that easy to do well in. Not because the material is so hard but because the exam is quite stressful and the marking is often a bit funny. The HLs you have are more secure. They're difficult in terms of content and workload, but if you do your work you're quite likely to get high grades.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, Thank you SOO much for the comments!!! It really does help!!

My school is screwed up for various reasons.
    First, SO many people are doing 4 HL's that if you just want to switch to it, then the school will let you. It gives a false impression about students. Everybody assumes that people taking 4 HL's are like smart.

Secondly, somebody who isn't that good at grades wanted to change from Mathematical studies to Mathematics SL. But because the school timetable didn't fit, she was "forced" to take 4HL. I really wonder whether if she will be able to manage the pressure of 4HL.

I suppose that you haven't answered my "Real" question:
    Does the IB workload get crazy in year 13? Unless you're like a genius in all the 4 HL's that you are taking, it will be hard to get 7's, rite?

Moreover, I got an A in economics at GCSE. you wouldn't recommend me to take Economics at HL, rite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyjung91)
    I suppose that you haven't answered my "Real" question:
    Does the IB workload get crazy in year 13? Unless you're like a genius in all the 4 HL's that you are taking, it will be hard to get 7's, rite?

Moreover, I got an A in economics at GCSE. you wouldn't recommend me to take Economics at HL, rite?
    It's hard to generalise about how hard 4HL is. Some HL subjects like Geography, History and languages are actually quite similar at HL and SL. The difference between A1 SL and A1 HL language is that you read 4 more books at HL and have one extra exam so it's not that big a deal. Math HL on the other hand has quite different content from Math SL. In general if you think you'll do well with 3 HL it's quite likely you'll also do well with 4 HL. Econ SL and Econ HL are not that different, but the exam is easier at SL and it's quite possible to get a 5 in Econ HL without really knowing what went wrong (at SL the multiple choice paper makes up a larger portion of your score so it's a bit safer).

It's a bit hard for me to comment on how hard the subjects are because a few years after the IB, all IB and A-level subjects seem pretty easy. If you're willing to work a bit extra I think it's possible to do well in 4 HL without being the smartest person on the planet. But as I said before, it's really not necessary. Don't think that just because the over-ambitious zealots at your school all take 4HL, EVERYONE has to take 4HL. There was only one person that did 4HL at my school and he got a score in the mid 30s and ended up going to a good but not great university.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.