Best A Level subjects for LSE Watch

confused1249
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I'm currently in the process of deciding my A-level subjects and and really want to do straight Economics at LSE in the future, but am unsure which A-levels would be best for future application to the course.

The subjects which I have decided to study thus far are:
1) Maths
2) Further Maths
3) Economics

Although I am unsure whether to study Government and Politics or Physics as my fourth A-level subject. Which subject would be preferred by LSE for entrance on to the straight economics course?
Jozanic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by confused1249)
Hi I'm currently in the process of deciding my A-level subjects and and really want to do straight Economics at LSE in the future, but am unsure which A-levels would be best for future application to the course.

1) Maths
2) Further Maths
3) Economics

Although I am unsure whether to study Government and Politics or Physics as my fourth A-level subject. Which subject would be preferred by LSE for entrance on to the straight economics course?
Both Govt. and Politics or Physics seem fine, although if I were LSE I'd be looking at Physics since it's a 'hard' subject. What I mean by 'hard' is that it requires great analytical/critical thought. Other 'hard' subjects include: Computer Science, Bio, Chem, Economics (which you're considering), Maths & FM (which you're also considering), History, Geography, Psychology etc.

I don't think unis such as LSE will like subjects that are not 'hard' i.e. Business Studies, Media, Art etc. But I may be wrong.

You would also have to think about stress; the subjects you've chosen (Maths, FM and Econ) are quite hard and taking up Physics will mean you''ll be revising 24/7 if you want straight As across all your subjects. I don't really know about Govt. and Politics, it may be a laid-back subject - so pick one that you enjoy so you can enjoy doing it all the time (if that makes sense) !!
Ze Witcher
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

1) Maths
2) Further Maths
3) Economics

LSE want to see applicants to have at least 2 traditional/preferred subjects at A-level, with BSc Economics wanting to see AS or A2 F.Math as a fourth subject.

They're preferred list includes:
Ancient History
Biology
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature) Further Mathematics*
Geography Government and Politics
History
Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...uirements.aspx -- Your choices are fine
Count Bezukhov
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The most ideal subjects for Economics are probably Maths, FM, Economics and History. That way you demonstrate both mathematical and written skills. Any other essay subject would do, but History tends to be seen as the 'hardest'. Science subjects are great as well, but if you're doing both Maths and FM then the wider skills shown through an essay subject may be better (although A Level Economics is also an essay subject). Note as well that LSE only consider FM as a fourth subject, so if you wanted to carry it on to A2 then you'd have to do all four of those subjects.
confused1249
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by JRKinder)
Any other essay subject would do, but History tends to be seen as the 'hardest'.
Which other essay based subjects would be seen as 'hard'?
ScarletXxXRose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The 3 subjects you've already chosen are great
so for your 4th, just pick something you really enjoy and can get a good grade in
A-level is soul-sucking as it is, so may sure to pick the subject you like
Count Bezukhov
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Which other essay based subjects would be seen as 'hard'?
Government and Politics would be fine, as would English Lit I imagine. History or Gov&Pol would obviously be the most related to the degree. It doesn't matter too much, though. Just pick the one that you will achieve highest in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%