Halifax Bank Watch

Lolly-88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I applied online and i'm still waiting to hear from them...but i think i want to open an account with another bank instead. What do i do about my pending application???
mrcrazy04
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lolly-88)
I applied online and i'm still waiting to hear from them...but i think i want to open an account with another bank instead. What do i do about my pending application???
I checked their terms and conditions, and they don't actually say they must be your only one (not that I saw anyway), so open another account with one with a definitely more relaxed policy, such as Natwest - who say that your account must be regularly credited, and then figure out what you want to do. But Natwest won't give an overdraft until September, so perhaps don't go with them!
mrcrazy04
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by snu)
If you care, make a complaint: http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/
I did! But they only deal with TV/radio ads, so I also complained to Trading Standards (through consumer direct).
The ASA say they can't find any TV adverts, has anyone seen one, and if so, can they remember when?

Additionally - Consumer Direct are trying to palm me off onto the Banking Code people. Surely it's a case for them as it's a company falsely advertising in store (or branch in this case). What do people reckon?
Lolly-88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mrcrazy04)
I checked their terms and conditions, and they don't actually say they must be your only one (not that I saw anyway), so open another account with one with a definitely more relaxed policy, such as Natwest - who say that your account must be regularly credited, and then figure out what you want to do. But Natwest won't give an overdraft until September, so perhaps don't go with them!
Do you mean september as in september 2007 or next year?? I don't need my overdraft at all which is why i was going for Halifax so I could invest it as they appeared to have the most. Plus when i applied online i remember ticking a box saying that i didn't have another student account....is that legally binding or anything?
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't go for halifax my dear. Apply to e-banking and use their rates.
mrcrazy04
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lolly-88)
Do you mean september as in september 2007 or next year?? I don't need my overdraft at all which is why i was going for Halifax so I could invest it as they appeared to have the most. Plus when i applied online i remember ticking a box saying that i didn't have another student account....is that legally binding or anything?
It's September 2007 that you have to wait. And as others have said, it's incredibly likely Halifax won't give you the most.
It could be, but you told the truth - you didn't have a Student Bank Account when you ticked the box.
Double check the Terms and Conditions, and if there isn't anything in there, then sign up for others - and then you have even more money to invest.
Munkeey
Report 11 years ago
When banks say you have to 'credit' their account regularly with student loan etc, does it have to stay in there, or can you just put it in, leave it for a day and take it out. Is that enough to keep them happy?

Because there must be some student accounts that don't specify that they have to be the only student account as long as you make regular payments to justify the overdraft. Then you could just keep switching the money back and forth and enjoy both overdrafts.
mrcrazy04
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Munkeey)
When banks say you have to 'credit' their account regularly with student loan etc, does it have to stay in there, or can you just put it in, leave it for a day and take it out. Is that enough to keep them happy?

Because there must be some student accounts that don't specify that they have to be the only student account as long as you make regular payments to justify the overdraft. Then you could just keep switching the money back and forth and enjoy both overdrafts.
I believe you can do that. If you spent it, then it wouldn't stay there long would it?
jennyng2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The stipulation of your conversion in the direction of scheduling a dissimilar undergraduate financial credit is that it is obligatory for you to terminate the principal account aforementioned to entering into a pact with a further reservoir of finance as they will verify this when you yield an request conversely you can terminate any store of financial credit any instance whether or not you are contented with the facilitations obtainable to you. When it articulates you have to credit the bank account it elucidates that your undergraduate loan has to be consigned into it.

Note to the administrates- is that better English for you? Yes, but is it easier to understand! I think I’ll stick to my English from now on
studentguy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mrcrazy04)
It's September 2007 that you have to wait. And as others have said, it's incredibly likely Halifax won't give you the most.
It could be, but you told the truth - you didn't have a Student Bank Account when you ticked the box.
Double check the Terms and Conditions, and if there isn't anything in there, then sign up for others - and then you have even more money to invest.
No it's not, i've already got my natwest overdraft of £1250 no questions asked. Just take in your UCAS letter of acceptance and you are sorted.
uni_Boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it true that I have to have the accuont for three months before I can get an overdraft bigger than £500? I opened it a few days ago and called up today, and thats what I was told. Is that BS? If so, should I try ringing up again soon, and hope for the best? And Will they know I've already asked about overdraft- cuz I dont wanna look stupid. lol
crazyemma
Report 11 years ago
I went in on Wednesday and opened a student account. I already have three accounts with them. I told the sales person that my accommodation would go out before I got my loan so he gave me a £1000 overdraft straight away and told me to go in to any branch if I wanted to increase it. The rest of my family also uses them and have never had any problems.
Acquiesce04
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
can you change a current account to a student account without changing account numbers?

I've already sent off my student finance form and all that and put down my current account details, don't want to have to mess about changing forms and stuff.
snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Acquiesce04)
can you change a current account to a student account without changing account numbers?
Yes, if your bank offers it you probably can.

I've already sent off my student finance form and all that and put down my current account details, don't want to have to mess about changing forms and stuff.
All you have to do is log in to their web site and tap in the new numbers. It's not hard at all.
Acquiesce04
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by snu)
Yes, if your bank offers it you probably can.

All you have to do is log in to their web site and tap in the new numbers. It's not hard at all.
No you have to send off change of details forms i think.... If not could you link me to this site?

https://www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk/

if that is what you mean where abouts is the function to change numbers?
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Acquiesce04)
No you have to send off change of details forms i think.... If not could you link me to this site?

https://www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk/

if that is what you mean where abouts is the function to change numbers?
On the left hand side, select "Update Bank Details"
Follow the instructions.
Acquiesce04
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by snu)
On the left hand side, select "Update Bank Details"
Follow the instructions.
Ah, thanks a lot.

I'm gonna phone them on tuesday if my notification letter hasnt arrived and see what they say, I've been approved finance for a music course, but i have changed to a geog course, sent off the CO1 form and am now just waiting for it to be processed and my status changed to Geography approved.
Xx Tomásíona - Mháire xX
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sus_clarke)
You guys fink you've gots problems! I went to halifax this mornin and got denied for a student account! I mean common who has that ever happened 2?

I do find it really strange tho cuz my sis has her student account with them And my mommy just got a credit card with them And our family credit history is good. So i think the girl at the bank must of put somthing wrong down because she didnt even ask for my acceptance letter when she was typing in all the stuff But im glad i got denied if the limit seems to be £1000. Cuz im guni need alot more than that.

However i did then apply myself online and had to answer alot more questions than the basic ones she just asked me! But they said they would get back 2 me in 14days Which i fink is basically crap seein i head to uni in 4weeks and would need to notify studentfinance of my new bank account.
I was denied a student account as well On the basis I didn't have an appointment. Now I went in at 9:20am, I'm sure someone could have spoken to me. The next available appointment was for Friday week and it's 30 miles for me to travel to the closest Halifax. It's an absolute disgrace.
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I told you, Halifax suck for customer service.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (142)
42.01%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (107)
31.66%
I don't have an opinion (89)
26.33%

Watched Threads