Turn on thread page Beta

Woman who refused to remove niqab and reveal face fined €30000 watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world...-a3393896.html

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a libertarian so I think everybody to should have the right to literally wear anything, everything or nothing
    but the niqab is not only technically non-compulsory in islam (hence why some middle eastern countries have banned it) but it is designed to oppress women - black polyester in arabian weather, no less (the origin). so if she is being wilfully oppressed like this to the point that she wills to be oppressed at a cost of 30,000 euros then I have no sympathy. if the law is to remove your niqab, then your resistance is without reasonable purpose. your resistance is non-resistance. you are submitting fully to a totalitarian and patriarchal ideology as opposed to submitting to a liberal democracy.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Seems to me like she was determined to make a very public and politicised point......and the Italian judiciary are making one of their own.

Do whatever you want behind closed doors in private, but once in the public domain, you gotta respect the law or the law ain't gonna respect you.

Rather like parking on double yellow lines - one can assert the right to do so - but you will end up paying for the privilege.

There are plenty of Islamic countries where this is no problem and she has the freedom to choose which one to go and live in.

ReputationRep:
    it must of really meant something to her is she still refused to take it off. i mean if she was being oppressed then she would use any excuse to take it off.

ReputationRep:
    The irony of forcing a woman to undress seems to be lost on most people. Quick, you're suffering under an oppressive religious patriarchy! Take off your clothes or else we'll arrest you!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Pantsu)
    The irony of forcing a woman to undress seems to be lost on most people. Quick, you're suffering under an oppressive religious patriarchy! Take off your clothes or else we'll arrest you!
    Was she being forced to undress or just take off her face covering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pantsu)
    Yep, because taking off your clothes is soooo comparable to showing your face for identification purposes. I doubt it would be any different if someone refused to take their balaclava at a parliament meeting.

ReputationRep:
    she broke a law, she was fined for it. Religions are not above the law

ReputationRep:
    Haha, she faces a fine, I see what you did there.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds more like the simply requested her to lift the face covering part *momentarily* for ID purposes which is a more than fair request especially as theyd most likely agree to another woman doing the ID check if the woman in question was concerned about men seeing her face. A 30,000 euro fine is a bit excessive despite being an option instead of 600 euros and a prison sentence though but it was her choice to refuse and its not like they were asking her to take it off permanently and sit in her underwear or anything

ReputationRep:
    30,000??!!!:shot:
    imo the punishment doesn't fit the 'crime'

ReputationRep:
    Life's tough

ReputationRep:
    She played and she lost.

ReputationRep:
    Woman broke the law, gets fined.

^^^ Fixed the title for you.

ReputationRep:
    She should've just showed her face, she was being unreasonable. Its not even compulsory to wear a niqab anyway in Islam. Muslims are instructed to abide by the law of the land in which they are living in so she is actually sinning by doing this

€30000?.......
    But i respect that woman

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid stupid woman.

ReputationRep:
    Good on her. May Allah reward her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Good on her. May Allah reward her.
    He rewarded her with a 30000 Euro fine haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)
    He rewarded her with a 30000 Euro fine haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh her reward in paradise will be much greater

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.