Turn on thread page Beta

My laptop's mouse has suddenly stopped working properly? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

This morning I noticed that my laptop's mouse was much more sensitive than usual, clicking, right-clicking and highlighting things on the screen on its own (with me barely touching the pad, or not touching it at all), the pointer also jumps around by itself when I try to click using the buttons. It's continued this erratic behaviour all day, and it's getting really irritating.

I can't think of anything I have done differently recently, and I haven't got any viruses, so I have no idea why the mouse is suddenly acting up. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

The laptop is an ASUS X540S, I've had it for a couple of months with no real issues, and I have Windows 10, if that helps.

Thank you!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    First of all, restart your laptop. Might be a case of "turning it off and then on again".

If problems still persist then try this...

In your start menu, type in "mouse" then go to "Mouse" under "control panel" (it should be under best match).

Go to the "Pointer options" tab and under "motion" check if the pointer speed isn't cranked all the way to the max (put it near the middle).

It might be different on your laptop but check for pointer sensitivity. On my computer it's under the "device settings" tab on the mouse properties window, select the device then click "settings" then go to the "advanced" tab and it's there (might be different for ASUS but could be in a similar area). Ensure that the pointer sensitivity is not set to the max.

If those don't work, type "Mouse & Touchpad settings" and click on the first result. Go to the "mouse and touchpad" tab then go under "touchpad" and check that it's set to "medium delay".

Let's see how that goes first.

ReputationRep:
    UWS

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! Unfortunately, my mouse speed and touchpad delay already have the settings you recommended. Also, there is no option for changing the mouse sensitivity in Windows 10 (I discovered lots of other people are also having the same problem as me), so it looks like I'm stuck with this ridiculously sensitive mouse.

Do you think buying a separate mouse that I can plug into my laptop would solve the problem? It's driving me insane
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    UWS

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! Unfortunately, my mouse speed and touchpad delay already have the settings you recommended. Also, there is no option for changing the mouse sensitivity in Windows 10 (I discovered lots of other people are also having the same problem as me), so it looks like I'm stuck with this ridiculously sensitive mouse.

Do you think buying a separate mouse that I can plug into my laptop would solve the problem? It's driving me insane
    Sorry it didn't work for you

You could try to call or email the manufacturer (ASUS), I'm sure there is a way to change it, it's probably in a very obscure location.

One option I could suggest is to install and reinstall the device but it's hard because you'll be without a mouse in between.

I think it's worth trying with a wireless mouse, if it solves the problem then it's an issue with your touchpad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Sorry it didn't work for you

You could try to call or email the manufacturer (ASUS), I'm sure there is a way to change it, it's probably in a very obscure location.

One option I could suggest is to install and reinstall the device but it's hard because you'll be without a mouse in between.

I think it's worth trying with a wireless mouse, if it solves the problem then it's an issue with your touchpad.
    Yeah I think I'll try emailing ASUS and finding out if there's any way to fix this. Thanks for all the help

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.