The Student Room Group

How do I meet other gay guys?

People seem to think I'm " straight " when I'm not... so the gay people in other groups tend to try and avoid looking at me... I see them in the reflections...

How do I meet other gay guys?? My class are basically full of insensitive, sociopaths and psychopaths... not joking... except like 2.

(I'm also 18 years old)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try going to a gay bar.
Join a catholic choir :smile:
Grindr
Reply 4
Original post by Zargabaath
Join a catholic choir :smile:

Best choice!

Original post by ChemistryIsBest
Grindr

Hookup slutty people, ewwww

Original post by UWS
Try going to a gay bar.

A bunch of gay people in underwear and drinking.... hmmmm not my type.
turn into the most metrosexual cute guy through things like your wardrobe and your hair style nothing is off the table if it looks
great and you feel great with it and do this to the point nobody is gonna doubt it and find out the areas with the most amount of gay people or just areas where you are gonna find alot of conversation.

you wont be finding them they will find you and vice versa

remember there are people who are looking for guys like you as much as you are them

confidence is also key to this and for the love of anything talk to them like a friend first as flirting will only work on someone who is into it and you most likley are not gonna know if that person is gay or bi until you find it out more about them first so you have to make them comfortable for them to tell you that information upfront while you are at it see if you can get some form of way to communicate after. a phone number, facebook etc.

if you get a second meeting try to get to know the person a bit more than you already have for example their hobbies, likes dislikes and most importantly relationship status how you reach this point is subjective as each guy is different (if they aint single at least you met a guy who could give you more advice on how to find them) they may ask what yours is at this point too dont go in for the take at this point but circumstances may lead to a quicker relationship (ive had it happen on the first day once.)

key of all this is to get to a point where he trusts you enough to spill out his feelings of his current situation or if he does the same to you the otther way round its at this point someone is going to do somthing thats gonna land you in a possible relationship like your first intimate kiss with the person.

overall the key is to be yourself in all this talking and be confident with at least this one person

(im 19 btw only out since april and ive gone through this 3 times before its hit and miss and only time tells which one will be the one)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Go join the LGBT society...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need Jesus.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
go to pride

I know it's a while away but do go when it comes around I met quite a few people when I went :tongue:
Reply 9
Reply 10
Original post by Samson1999
You need Jesus.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that from magical land of heaven? :smile:
Original post by ckfeister
People seem to think I'm " straight " when I'm not... so the gay people in other groups tend to try and avoid looking at me... I see them in the reflections...

You're unlikely to meet other suitable gay guys in person as we are only around 6% of the population. It's not like heterosexuals where half of the population are technically a suitable mate. The only way to whittle it down is to find other dudes online, otherwise you would have to spend your entire life trying to seek them out in person. The internet is a great time-saver in that respect.

Other people don't think I'm gay until I tell them; I think I'm (like most of my gay friends), neither effeminate nor over-the-top masculine, just kind-of normal, maybe a bit geeky and indie. My boyfriend is an RAF officer, we're both into strategy gaming, politics, drinking, boxsets. We're not the stereotype (then again, these days who is? The effeminate gay guy is so 20th century) and so we wouldn't have found each other in the bars. I found him online on the Plenty of Fish website, it's one way to meet other guys if you're looking for a date and not a ****. And unlike Grindr, they actually have profiles so you get a sense of their personality and not just their appearance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by snugbot9000
turn into the most metrosexual cute guy through things like your wardrobe and your hair style nothing is off the table if it looks

That sounds completely ****ing dire, and it's awful advice.

Being genuine and authentic is a far better bet. And why would he want to act like some lisping, mincing caricature of a queer, who mostly seems to exist only to gratify boring, superficial straight women who want a gay to take them shopping and tell them they're not fat
Reply 13
stand on the street with a sign saying 'suck for a buck'
Original post by arodro
stand on the street with a sign saying 'suck for a buck'

You don't get out much, do you?
Reply 15
Original post by AlexanderHam
You don't get out much, do you?

don't need to leave my room when I can get all my thrills from grindr x
Where are you from?

My friend always seems to get laid here. I don't even know how it happens, I'm always impressed :laugh:

Otherwise I'd say LGBT, as others mentioned. Their societies are very social from what I've heard, sounds like a good place to meet people.
Original post by _Fergo
Go join the LGBT society...

This is a good idea in theory, in practice it's often a fruitless endeavor.

(1) Usually there are only a few other suitable gay guys (the others are lesbian or trans)
(2) One of those suitable guys, inevitably the head of the society, is usually an obsessive left-winger addicted to activism and identity politics, and such people are usually terrible in bed and have bad hygiene. This guy is usually glued at the hip to his lesbian friend anyway
(3) If there are any other suitable guys there, they've probably all come for the same reason which can create jealousies as you have maybe three or five very determined, horny 19 year old guys and if you don't have an even number who pair off very naturally, you instead get love triangles, competition, resentment etc. Of course they could just have an orgy and form a thruple or a quintuple, but in reality that is, while hot, highly unlikely

So... far better if one wants to meet other suitable guys at university to meet them in the normal way, or seek them out on Grindr or other ways online.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's extremely hard when you consider the statistics, one in ten people are gay, half of them are women... so youre looking at 5% of the population! Knock out the people who arent your type, knock out the psycho's, knock out the ones who are taken and us unfortunate gay/lesbian have an enormous pool of maybe 0.5-1% of the population that we can get with :')
Fortunately, we have datings apps and facebook pages that help!
Try POF (Plenty of Fish), you may need to look further afield to find them (I don't advise meeting people in your local area, too much drama) but you'll have at least more of a chance than just going to your average gay bar!
It's how I met a large amount of exes and best friends so I assume it works for men too (just beware of the weirdos and those in a relationship, Facetime and Facebook them before you meet up!)
xxx
Original post by Phoenixfirex
It's extremely hard when you consider the statistics, one in ten people are gay, half of them are women... so youre looking at 5% of the population! Knock out the people who arent your type, knock out the psycho's, knock out the ones who are taken and us unfortunate gay/lesbian have an enormous pool of maybe 0.5-1% of the population that we can get with :':wink:
Fortunately, we have datings apps and facebook pages that help!
Try POF (Plenty of Fish), you may need to look further afield to find them (I don't advise meeting people in your local area, too much drama) but you'll have at least more of a chance than just going to your average gay bar!

I give gay approval to this advice. As mentioned above by both of us, gay people are a small proportion of the population and you need the internet to save time by aggregating possible partners for you.

I met my boyfriend on Plenty of Fish / PoF, it's the only website / app I know where there are lots (there must be many thousands, far more than I could count) of gay guys who are in my city and cities close by, and who are looking for a date rather than a hookup. Tinder and Grindr seem incredibly grim to me, I'm less interested in appearance than in personality and intellect (though of course personal attraction is an element), so being able to read a written profile to find out what they're about (as on PoF) means you're connecting with people you actually have something on common with

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending