The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

How many hours a week and how many days a week is full time Uni?

I want to study math with finance full time at Manchester university, I wanted to know how many days, hours is university. including seminars, lectures and others. Also what how many hours of self revision is need like an hour or 3 a day.
Can people also tell me what course you are doing as well. thanks
I'm doing Microbiology and I'm in 2nd year. We had about 22 hours of lectures in first year but its different depending on the course. Some days had 1 lecture where other days had 4, it depends on how rooms are booked each year. There were also weekly assessments and some tutorial essays.

My tutor last year said "full time" was 40 hours a week, which would be 8 hours a day Monday to Friday - this includes your lectures/seminars and assessments. You can of course work on the weekends and do less per day, or do more work on certain days and less on others. It will depend on your timetable.

However! I don't believe for a second that anyone actually manages this, and it could have been her subjective opinion. If you want good grades you need to do your work, that's the bottom line, but there isn't enough hours in a week to do all your notes, all the suggested reading, and all your coursework on top of food shopping, laundry, travel and anything else.

Last year I was up to date on all my notes. Now I'm in 2nd year and I've had to prioritise my coursework due to deadlines. You will have time to relax and have fun, but part of the experience is learning to balance work and play and taking care of yourself. First year is more flexible, but from second year it's important to manage your time. And use the holidays to revise! Maybe not every day, since you'll deserve a break, but it's valuable time.

"Now", not "later" pretty much sums it up. Do know there is support if ever you feel overwhelmed. But thousands of people manage every year and you can too. :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending