Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need to write up a speech on how the First World War affected/affects the community (the word 'community' can be defined however I wish) and I have chosen to look at diaries from soldiers during that time. I've come up with a couple of ideas, but am incredibly stuck on what to write, yet diaries seems like the easiest thing to talk about! Any ideas on on how WWI soldiers' diaries affect communities will be highly appreciated! Just so I can have a little brainstorm! I currently have:
    -Opportunity for those to track down personal relations who experienced WWI.
    -Gives us an idea on how each regiment worked.
    -Shows the emotional and physical stress that the soldiers went through.

I have until Monday to do this.
    Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elyssiah)
    I need to write up a speech on how the First World War affected/affects the community (the word 'community' can be defined however I wish) and I have chosen to look at diaries from soldiers during that time. I've come up with a couple of ideas, but am incredibly stuck on what to write, yet diaries seems like the easiest thing to talk about! Any ideas on on how WWI soldiers' diaries affect communities will be highly appreciated! Just so I can have a little brainstorm! I currently have:

Thank you!!
    I have something

Modern History Study: Reasons for stalemate on the Western Front: * Failure of the Schlieffen plan – Whilst the Schlieffen plan dealt with war on two fronts, its failure was instrumental to the stalemate on the Western Front. Germany fell short of achieving a quick and decisive victory over France and Britain in which they had hoped for. The German Army’s initial advance was halted by Belgium, who allowed Britain and Russia to mobilise their troops. * The Battle of the Marne – German attacks on Paris was resisted by France and Britain in the Battle of the Marne.
    This has resulted in the temporary phase of trench warfare where the German Army “dug in” to defend themselves from the advancing Allies. * Race to the Sea – French Commander Joffre and German Commander Falkenhayn realised the advantage was positioned in the North between the Aisne and the Sea. This has led to the Race to the Sea, where the Allies and Germany tried to outflank each other in their attempt to reach this crucial position. By the end of 1914, the initial offensive approach to war had become more defensive. The war of mobility soon changed to the war of attrition, where both sides tried to wear down the enemy. War expectations and the nature of modern warfare – Many assumptions were outlined leading up to the war. Propaganda posters suggested that the war would be of aggression, which was not true. Germany assumed that war timetabling would be successful in which they predicted the time for every other nation to mobilise their troops. The nature of trench warfare and life in the trenches: * Structure – Sandbags were aligned for protection and strength. Barbed wire was used to slow the enemy down. Holes were dug on the sides for soldiers to lie down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elyssiah)

Thank you!!
    Diaries by their very nature are private. So presumably they can only affect other people (ie 'communities') some time after they are written?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 13, 2016

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.