Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    should I take 3 or 4 alevels is 4 alevels too much?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and do four a levels. It is not too much but one of my subjects is pretty chilled compared to my other three and i plan on dropping it at the end of the year

ReputationRep:
    I started off with 4 but found it way too much. But maybe that was because I was applying for Med the application process was intense 😕

Really depends on your subjects though, and if your unis require 4 Alevels or 3.

ReputationRep:
    I started with 4 (Computer Science, Physics, Maths Mechanics and Further Maths) and dropped Computer Science a month later because it was really boring and I didn't have enough time for the other subjects that I would need for university as I need at very least A*AA to get into my most preferred university. I would recommend do the subjects that you specifically need otherwise it's an overkill. (It's also less stressful , I'm currently doing AS).
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by chris2791)
    should I take 3 or 4 alevels is 4 alevels too much?
    Take 4 at first. If you feel it's too hard then drop the one that you can't be bothered with.

ReputationRep:
    Go for 4 so you have the option to drop one if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustasB)
    I started with 4 (Computer Science, Physics, Maths Mechanics and Further Maths) and dropped Computer Science a month later because it was really boring and I didn't have enough time for the other subjects that I would need for university as I need at very least A*AA to get into my most preferred university. I would recommend do the subjects that you specifically need otherwise it's an overkill. (It's also less stressful , I'm currently doing AS).
    I was thinking of taking computer science! oh if its boring I prefer not to take it but what was boring about it? what exam board were you on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris2791)
    I was thinking of taking computer science! oh if its boring I prefer not to take it but what was boring about it? what exam board were you on
    The theory to me was very boring, I think this is because of our teacher who was a very boring teacher. Funny thing is I only took it because I wanted to do CompSci at university but completely deterred me from doing it and I have found something much more enjoyable. I did OCR Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    With the new A-Level changes, most subjects are linear so you cannot get an AS level if you drop it at the end of the first year. So I would recommend that if you do, you should take a 4th one that you can drop and still get an AS. However, most of my friends who are currently taking 4 are finding it a lot of work and want to drop one, and the work load increases a lot in the A2 year.

An alternative could be to take 3 A-Levels and do the EPQ. Whilst this is still extra work, I've read on these forums that sometimes doing 3 and an EPQ is actually better than doing a 4th subject, as it shows ability to do independent research, and that you have personal interest in a potential university subject.

I think it's quite a personal thing though, so I would suggest follwoing your gut and taking on the amount of workload you think you can manage. Remember to get an equal balance between school work, perhaps a part time job, enrichment activities, volunteering (i.e. helping with younger year groups) and relaxing, as this will make you a well rounded university applicant if/when you apply

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.