Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all . Currently renting a student house with 5 of us since August. Over the past few weeks, one of my housemates in particular has brought up the discussion that I should be contributing more to the rent because my room is larger than his.

before we moved in we all allocated our rooms via the draw of a hat (fair right) and I got the biggest. The group mentioned at the time about all of us paying the rent depending on all our room sizes and I said I might be able to pay a small amount extra but this depends on my student finance and after that initial mention, no one took it further. My student finance entitlement which I received in September/ October has been MUCH less this year and told everyone that I could not afford anything extra but of course could pay the rent as on the contract. It is only recently that one guy has brought it up again saying he thinks it's unfair I pay the same as everyone else but have a bigger room. We all pay 476.60 per month each which equally divided between us five that is £110 per week per person. That is not including bills/food.
    However he now thinks I should pay £125.00 per week based purely on the size of my room. I have spoken to the others housemates who all seen very indifferent to the conversation and get the impression they don't care and will leave it for me and the other guy to sort out. He paid 60 less of his rent this month presuming I would pick up the extra without telling me. I have tried to be clear as to my financial circumstances and have said again that we all got our rooms democratically and fair but he seems to think it is unfair. He has given me options one being we swap rooms and I pay less and he pays the higher cost.

I just feel that dividing the rent equally between 5 is fair as i don't want things to become complicated with money and he is being childish. he said his friend, who lived in the same house paid an extra £20.00 a week because he had a big room. Also, this guy never pays me on time for the broadband bill had to ask him dozens of times over 3 weeks.

Who is in the right here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark91)
    x
    Offer to swap rooms with that guy and he can pay the increased rent

ReputationRep:
    Hi all . Currently renting a student house with 5 of us since August. Over the past few weeks, one of my housemates in particular has brought up the discussion that I should be contributing more to the rent because my room is larger than his.

before we moved in we all allocated our rooms via the draw of a hat (fair right) and I got the biggest. The group mentioned at the time about all of us paying the rent depending on all our room sizes and I said I might be able to pay a small amount extra but this depends on my student finance and after that initial mention, no one took it further. My student finance entitlement which I received in September/ October has been MUCH less this year and told everyone that I could not afford anything extra but of course could pay the rent as on the contract. It is only recently that one guy has brought it up again saying he thinks it's unfair I pay the same as everyone else but have a bigger room. We all pay 476.60 per month each which equally divided between us five that is £110 per week per person. That is not including bills/food.
    However he now thinks I should pay £125.00 per week based purely on the size of my room. I have spoken to the others housemates who all seen very indifferent to the conversation and get the impression they don't care and will leave it for me and the other guy to sort out. He paid 60 less of his rent this month presuming I would pick up the extra without telling me. I have tried to be clear as to my financial circumstances and have said again that we all got our rooms democratically and fair but he seems to think it is unfair. He has given me options one being we swap rooms and I pay less and he pays the higher cost.

I just feel that dividing the rent equally between 5 is fair as i don't want things to become complicated with money and he is being childish. he said his friend, who lived in the same house paid an extra £20.00 a week because he had a big room. Also, this guy never pays me on time for the broadband bill had to ask him dozens of times over 3 weeks.

There is no easy way to find a quantitative measure for how much you should be paying when looking at the variations of room size, equally you can ask him to up his rent via various things that he may be doing more so than the other flatmates. I'd say room size should not be a reason for you to pay more, as you are all paying for a space which is shared, I'm assuming your room is marginally larger than all the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayytch)
    There is no easy way to find a quantitative measure for how much you should be paying when looking at the variations of room size, equally you can ask him to up his rent via various things that he may be doing more so than the other flatmates. I'd say room size should not be a reason for you to pay more, as you are all paying for a space which is shared, I'm assuming your room is marginally larger than all the others.
    My room is abit over double the size of his.
    But we were all allocated rooms by luck of the draw. Plus, the other housemates have different sized rooms too so that would have to be considered.
    The guy is not reliable when paying his share of bills and other things.

ReputationRep:
    you should just swap rooms as it seems he is jealous of your big room and seeing as he will happily pay the extra cost this seems like the only sensible solution to this situation...

ReputationRep:
    surely once you've all signed the contract then its a done deal and its too late now for people to start demanding you contribute more to the rent ...

ReputationRep:
    Don't swap rooms with him. He's jealous that you have the biggest room, and he's looking for a way to stop paying his rent. Tell him you're only going to be paying £110, and if he decides to stop paying some of his share each month, then that's between him and the landlord. Even if you did pay according to room size, why should he be the only one who gets a £60 discount while the others all continue to pay £110?
    If he stops paying his share and it becomes a regular thing, the other housemates will become annoyed with him and you won't be on your own in this. Just be firm with him and don't give him too much of your time
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think if your room is double the size then yeah you should probably be paying more but the landlord should've set that up rather than you, and it certainly shouldn't be that much more.

ReputationRep:
    You could offer to swap rooms halfway through the tenancy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There's no specific right or wrong here. It's all a matter of opinions.

Many people do live in houses where one room is larger/better than the others. Some will pay more for this, but others will pay all the same. It's about what is decided between you as a group. If you all decided to just pick straws and get what you got, then that's what you've chosen to do. You shouldn't have to pay more just because you were luckiest, unless that was decided at the beginning.
    However, when picking straws nobody really wants to be the worst. So it's possible that everyone entered hoping they'd get the big room, and the rest of your flatmates don't care because they got a decent room. If the smallest room is considerably worse it's not morally fair to let them pay the same but have a terrible room.

So speak to your housemates and try to decide. It might be that you all draw again and swap halfway through the tenancy. It might be decided that the person with the worst room gets to choose the TV channel. It might be that you pay a bit more and they pay less. But it's about what you decide as a group, and one person can't just decide what is fair for all of you.

ReputationRep:
    As someone else stated just ignore him. you continue paying your required part £110, and if he chooses to stop paying his part due to you having a larger room, then tha would become a problem between himself and the landlord.

ReputationRep:

Personally I think if he'd had a problem with the way the rent was divided up he should got something sorted out when the contract was issued, not now a couple of months down the line. In the uni house I lived in for second and third year we had wildly different room sizes and all paid the same rent without grumbling-and no I didn't have the biggest room. For my masters year the rent varied based on room size but this was decided by the landlord and issued in writing to us- not decided on a whim by one grumpy housemate.

ReputationRep:
    Well the problem here is nothing to do with fair, the problem is that you didn't all make a firm agreement when you signed up for the house and divided rooms.

Most student houses I know where there are rooms double the size of other rooms split rent according to room size, it's a fair way to do it as it is just not nice paying £100+ a week for a box room while someone else has a huge room and pays the same. However this should be decided when you split the rooms as then you can all agree on a fair amount together and if anyone can't afford to pay it they can choose to take a smaller room to save money.

The problem you have now is that no one agreed anything about paying extra, you had a vague discussion about it and that's it. It hasn't been mentioned for ages and now it sounds like this guy is feeling a bit miffed about his rubbish room and is coming after you about it and your housemates are trying to stay well out of the way.

I got a crap room in a room share during uni and it is frustrating but you just have to accept the luck of the draw in these situations.

However as for what to do now. The easiest solution would be to just offer to swap rooms with him on the basis that he pays more. You could also refuse to pay more or swap rooms on the basis that nothing was agreed about paying more and you got the room fair and square but this could deteriorate and make your living situation uncomfortable. The last option is to have a house meeting and decide as a group what is fair for who to pay (as presumably yours isn't the only decent sized room in the house and so other people should also be paying more/less potentially) and then redraw lots for rooms - the downside to this is that you could still end up in a smaller room or paying more and it might set a precedent for swapping rooms around the second someone becomes unhappy.

Personally I'd stick with my room and refuse to pay more. Although it depends mostly on who your flatmates will side with when the rent is in arrears and someone has to pay up.

ReputationRep:
    Say that the only way you're going to swap with him so he pays extra is if he can convince the other housemates to get involved, it's not fair that one person pays extra and one person gets a discount, you should've all agreed upon ratios dependent on your room size.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The problem you have here is that you discussed this as a group before you moved in and you agreed, albeit tacitly, that you'd be amenable to paying slightly more rent for the bigger room. Now he's tried to enforce that understanding, it's difficult for you to move the goalposts. Even more so given he's come up with a get-out clause that if you can't pay the extra, he will but on the proviso that you have the smaller room.

The issues with his paying the rent late and broadband etc are not relevant to the discussion about this rent division, and I would suggest it weakens your argument if you bring it in. It's a separate issue and is important to resolve, but separately from this. I do feel sympathetic for you, and I think I'd feel the same way, but given the discussions you've had as a group before moving in it's difficult to agree that he is being unreasonable here.

ReputationRep:
    why do you not want to swap room with him?

honestly, i would assume the draw at the beginning was just to determine who gets which room. if your room is bigger, pay for the extra space.

also learn from your mistake. it is not worth it to get headaches over such thing. either live in student halls or rent the room individually with bills included. there will be no argument on 'when should the central heating be switched on' or 'who is using the electricity more'. always find places with bills included, and leave the headaches to the agent or landlord when the bills is surprisingly high.

ReputationRep:
    Don't swap room with him. There's no guarantee he'll pay the extra. You say yourself he's late paying for other stuff. Looks to me he's trying to get you to pay for his room.

You & your housemates agreed to draw lots and you got the big room. If the dude had a problem he should have complained earlier but he didn't, so the issue isn't you getting the biggest room.

ReputationRep:
    Double the room size. Same rent. Clearly this isn't fair.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.