The Student Room Group

Abortion doping

I heard about this on TV. A female athlete will get pregnant and abort a few days before a big event so the pregnancy hormones can help boost their performance. I can understand the reasons some women would choose have an abortion, but this is just wrong. Has anybody else heard about this before? What do you think about this?

Scroll to see replies

Homegrownkitten
I heard about this on TV. A female athlete will get pregnant and abort a few days before a big event so the pregnancy hormones can help boost their performance. I can understand the reasons some women would choose have an abortion, but this is just wrong. Has anybody else heard about this before? What do you think about this?

Disgusting. If this is allowed, why can't we just do drugs etc to help us too?

Please provide a link.
Found one http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/doping.htm

All this brings us to the question of abortion doping, the notion that female athletes can supercharge their bodies through aborting a fetus just before competition and reabsorbing into their own systems the additional hormones the pregnancy produced. Akin to blood doping, the object is to increase the presence of a natural substance in the athlete, but in this case, it's hormone levels that are being boosted, not the red blood count.

As gruesomely unbelievable as this must sound, there is some reason to believe such a procedure might exist.

Abortion doping was the topic of debate at the First Permanent World Conference on Anti-Doping in Sport held in Ottawa in 1988. According to delegates' statements from that conference, some Eastern European female athletes were having themselves artificially inseminated, then aborting the fetuses two or three months later to take advantage of a perceived hormone boost. Names were not named and specifics were not given, but this was one of the topics under discussion.

Is it lore, or is it real? At this point, it's impossible to make a definitive call. The delegates could have been repeating baseless scuttlebutt they'd heard from others -- it was a conference devoted to the evils of performance enhancement in sport, after all, and this story showcased those evils as little else could. On the other hand, they could have been reporting on cases they'd had actual firsthand knowledge of. Without a name, a date, and a checkable medical history, any and all claims that this was in fact going on have to be viewed with skepticism.

Yet it is also true that one of those making the claims was then-International Olympic Committee vice-president Prince Alexandre de Merode of Belgium. He supported stories that some Eastern European athletes do get artificially inseminated and then abort about two or three months into the pregnancy in an attempt to enhance their athletic performance. The prince said a Swiss doctor was the first to implement the practice of abortion as a way to improve sports results, although it was unclear what beneficial effect it has on women other than changing their hormone profile. The practice was not illegal, and de Merode said the IOC would not be policing motherhood.

It's possible one grain of truth might have been converted by gossip into a false tale. Underage East German athletes were pressured in the 1970s and 1980s to abort, not because anyone was trying to supercharge them with hormones, but because these unfortunate girls had been subjected to heavy regimes of steroids and other harmful drugs. Had they carried to full term, they likely would have delivered malformed or otherwise handicapped children. One former national back stroke swim champion gave birth to a son who had a clubfoot, and another produced a blind daughter.

Doctors who were part of the East German sports machine of those days have since been tried and found guilty of having aided and abetted actual bodily harm against the youngsters in their care. For the most part, their punishment has amounted to being assessed a fine.

Could it be that the reality of East German coaches' forcing their charges to have abortions rather than carry to full term children likely to be born afflicted has been changed through the process of gossip into Svengalis arranging the pregnancies and abortions as part and parcel of an intentional plan to increase hormone levels in those girls? We do have examples of coaches ordering their athletes to abort, although the reason for that command is different; thus one key element of the rumor is in place. It's a theory worth considering, especially in light of the lack of women we can point to who were supposedly killing off their unborn children just to get an undetectable hormone boost.

In any event, unless and until someone with a checkable medical history steps forward and says, "Yes, this happened to me," it's all unproven speculation, no matter how many sources repeat the tale. It's thus premature to mourn for the unborn babies that were conceived solely to enhance their mothers' athletic performance, because there might not have been any.

These are people I have no time for and I would not care if they were made sterile. Now you wonder why you get such confontations about this topic from pro-lifers? I am not surprised.
Reply 3
Disgusting! I can't imagine how they get an energy boost from it, I know someone who had an abortion and she was far from energetic afterwards.
I think these athletes should be named and shamed, and that's just the beginning.
Reply 5
NDGAARONDI
I think these athletes should be named and shamed, and that's just the beginning.

I agree, these people are lower than a snakes belly.
Reply 6
This is crazy.
Reply 7
i totally agree that it is an appaling abuse of a right that we have been given! also it takes away from the severity of the morally dilemma that thousands of women go through, its not only a disgusting act to commit but to simply value the experience as a means of improved performance degrades the choice that many women are compelled to make whilst these women intentionally create a foetus with the single intention to abort it!
hmmmm sorry if this didn't make sense but i needed to say something even if my point isn't all that clear!
I don't see why the names of these athletes who supposedly have had abortion dopes were witheld (sp). Sporting associations are quite willing to name Rusedski and kick him out and presume he's guilty over dubious substances which can be found in innocent drinks. Why not here? This is more serious!
Reply 9
NDGAARONDI
I don't see why the names of these athletes who supposedly have had abortion dopes were witheld (sp). Sporting associations are quite willing to name Rusedski and kick him out and presume he's guilty over dubious substances which can be found in innocent drinks. Why not here? This is more serious!

True. This whole subject is sinister and disturbing, im never gona be able to look at Marion Jones etc.. without wondering...
Dajo123
True. This whole subject is sinister and disturbing, im never gona be able to look at Marion Jones etc.. without wondering...

What you could do is look very carefully at female participants over the weeks and see if there is any physical change which is apaprent with pregnancy. Note the time difference between that and the major tournament in question and then review during the games. I've not heard of the person you mentioned above but I don't know why they do this because it's more apparent than steroids which cannot be seen once inside the body, and often not at all in any case.
Reply 11
NDGAARONDI

I'm by no means trying to defend what could have happened here, I think it's disgusting, but I'm assuming the association wouldn't have had enough proof to name these athletes - it's hardly something that you'd make widely-known if you'd done it.
Reply 12
NDGAARONDI
What you could do is look very carefully at female participants over the weeks and see if there is any physical change which is apaprent with pregnancy. Note the time difference between that and the major tournament in question and then review during the games. I've not heard of the person you mentioned above but I don't know why they do this because it's more apparent than steroids which cannot be seen once inside the body, and often not at all in any case.

Ah ha, you will make a fine Barrister or Solicitor. (assuming thats what you wana do)
sarah101
I'm by no means trying to defend what could have happened here, I think it's disgusting, but I'm assuming the association wouldn't have had enough proof to name these athletes - it's hardly something that you'd make widely-known if you'd done it.

Perhaps, none of us will really know. But those who are close to the athletes can always tell. Partners, coaches, may be even commentators. I believe many women go through behavioural changes which are a result of a pregnancy, even in early stages. So maybe you could use this as an advantage to detect them?

I suppose they could request all female participants to do a test to look out for this. The tests will be regular and so on...

There must be ways of detecting. I hear what you say though.
Dajo123
Ah ha, you will make a fine Barrister or Solicitor. (assuming thats what you wana do)

Why thank you :biggrin: Barrister for the record. Handy for examining evidence.
or just check whether or not they've visited abortion clinics in the days preceeding the olympics i mean i assume they're all on site a while before to acclimatise etc..
Reply 16
NDGAARONDI
Why thank you :biggrin: Barrister for the record. Handy for examining evidence.

ah. but your evidence is circumstantial
timeofyourlife
ah. but your evidence is circumstantial

If I could acquire better evidence I would :biggrin: Apparently with Jeremy Bamber there was a lot of circumstantial evidence, but that locked him behind bars for multiple murder so I'm told.
Homegrownkitten

Absolutely sickening.
sarah101

Because abortion is legal it would be difficalt to prove the reason for an abortion. They could simply say that the precnancy was accidental and unwanted. If it is done at a private clinic it would not go down on any records either. It must be hard to the women who have had to struggle with the decision to have an abortion for the RIGHT reasons, and probably even more so for childless couples wanting a family. It is sick that abortion can be carried out for recriational purposes. These women are utterly selfish.

Latest

Trending

Trending