Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone actually read the link?

There is no proof that this has ever happened. And wouldn't it just be a huge waste of time if you could just have a jab containing hormones instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    Because abortion is legal it would be difficalt to prove the reason for an abortion. They could simply say that the precnancy was accidental and unwanted. If it is done at a private clinic it would not go down on any records either. It must be hard to the women who have had to struggle with the decision to have an abortion for the RIGHT reasons, and probably even more so for childless couples wanting a family. It is sick that abortion can be carried out for recriational purposes. These women are utterly selfish.
    But if this happened in England this may end up being an illegal abortion due to the nature of it. Yes abortion has been legalised, but theoretically there are restrictions, and if you break these you're meant to be punished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Did anyone actually read the link?

There is no proof that this has ever happened. And wouldn't it just be a huge waste of time if you could just have a jab containing hormones instead?
    Ah so the OLympic Committee would speak of things they sure have not happened. Wise choice. It's good that even it hasn't happened to think about it so that you can deal with it and prepare for it.

ReputationRep:
    I heard about this on TV. A female athlete will get pregnant and abort a few days before a big event so the pregnancy hormones can help boost their performance. I can understand the reasons some women would choose have an abortion, but this is just wrong. Has anybody else heard about this before? What do you think about this?

Its quite simple to prevent these things (Although I doubt they are much more than rumors). You could simply classify it as doping to be pregnant a certain period of time before the contest and then if you suspect something make a hormon test. To claim that you do not known the reasons for abortion is irrelevant actually. People with certain diseases cannot participate in certain contests because their medecines give side effects which would help them. As an example one type of neural inhibitor is a great advantage for archery because it helps you keep your hand steady. If people on these treatments can be banned from participating , so can recently pregnent wommen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Its quite simple to prevent these things (Although I doubt they are much more than rumors).
    Why do do think they are only rumours? Athletes can be just as greedy when it comes to medals at the olympics as any Tom, **** and Harry with money.

You could simply classify it as doping to be pregnant a certain period of time before the contest and then if you suspect something make a hormon test. To claim that you do not known the reasons for abortion is irrelevant actually.
    Suggestions on the period of time?

People with certain diseases cannot participate in certain contests because their medecines give side effects which would help them. As an example one type of neural inhibitor is a great advantage for archery because it helps you keep your hand steady. If people on these treatments can be banned from participating , so can recently pregnent wommen.
    I didn't know about the archey one. Also you could argue that pregnant women should not compete on the interest of the unborn children. Thing is you can work until a certain time when you're pregnant though. But if they clamped down on this they could use this as a 'get out clause'.

ReputationRep:
    I heard about this on TV. A female athlete will get pregnant and abort a few days before a big event so the pregnancy hormones can help boost their performance. I can understand the reasons some women would choose have an abortion, but this is just wrong. Has anybody else heard about this before? What do you think about this?
    utterly disgusting. You don't get yourself pregnant and then have an abortion just so you can get first place for something. That's just wrong. You don't use a child (or, rather, an unborn one) for such a purpose. It's selfish and sick.
    I have also heard that the more abortions a woman has (and I'll bet these women have probably had more than one), the less likely it will be for her to become pregnant and stay pregnant. So, if any of those women athletes decide at any point that they want to settle down and have children, it would be very hard for them to do so, since damage has been done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Why do do think they are only rumours? Athletes can be just as greedy when it comes to medals at the olympics as any Tom, **** and Harry with money.

Suggestions on the period of time?

I didn't know about the archey one. Also you could argue that pregnant women should not compete on the interest of the unborn children. Thing is you can work until a certain time when you're pregnant though. But if they clamped down on this they could use this as a 'get out clause'.
    The bottom line is that the Olympic Comitte should simply state that this is unacceptable and peopel caught will be disqualified and banned from participating in future contests. The legal issue is left to the respective countries.

ReputationRep:
    The bottom line is that the Olympic Comitte should simply state that this is unacceptable and peopel caught will be disqualified and banned from participating in future contests. The legal issue is left to the respective countries.
    I agree. No fines?

ReputationRep:
    I agree. No fines?
    Are they eaven entiteled to demand fines? I thought only the government were allowed to in principle (though many companies circumvent this by naming it a "controll fee" or "penalty fee" sending it as a regular bill.)

ReputationRep:
    Are they eaven entiteled to demand fines? I thought only the government were allowed to in principle (though many companies circumvent this by naming it a "controll fee" or "penalty fee" sending it as a regular bill.)
    That's why I asked it. You get fined for violent conduct in rugby and football matches in England. You could argue that abortion doping is violent too, just use of chemicals etc to cause destruction rather than fists and feet. Just a thought....

ReputationRep:
    That's why I asked it. You get fined for violent conduct in rugby and football matches in England. You could argue that abortion doping is violent too, just use of chemicals etc to cause destruction rather than fists and feet. Just a thought....
    Well I think to little is being done in general to prevent doping. Its not eaven fun watching some sport genres anymore as you know that theres a pretty good chance the winner is doped. I dont think that you should start to much fuss about destruction and so on as it would turn the whole thing into an abortion debate. Its enough that they state publicly that they considder "abortion-doping" unnacceptable and that they will punish it severely.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think to little is being done in general to prevent doping. Its not eaven fun watching some sport genres anymore as you know that theres a pretty good chance the winner is doped.Its enough that they state publicly that they considder "abortion-doping" unnacceptable and that they will punish it severely.
    Agreed. I can't think of much more to say but I guess more news of this may appear as the Olympics come closer.

ReputationRep:
    This is obviously wronge and an abuse of the system which in most cases is there to help women in difficult situations. However I do not think that this is likely to be very wide spread. Is there a rule which says that you aren't allowed to compete while pregnant? Because if there isn't a problem with mandatory pregnancy testing is what about women who are a few weeks pregnant and don't know or want to keep the baby. Then you are unfairly calling them cheats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    This is obviously wronge and an abuse of the system which in most cases is there to help women in difficult situations. However I do not think that this is likely to be very wide spread. Is there a rule which says that you aren't allowed to compete while pregnant? Because if there isn't a problem with mandatory pregnancy testing is what about women who are a few weeks pregnant and don't know or want to keep the baby. Then you are unfairly calling them cheats.
    Isn't it dangerous to compete in sport whilst pregnant? Wouldn't to procure a miscarriage accidently.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it dangerous to compete in sport whilst pregnant? Wouldn't to procure a miscarriage accidently.
    Possibly I was just wondering because there maybe females who are competing want to risk it or our unaware that they are pregnant. They could be accused of abortion dopeing when they weren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Possibly I was just wondering because there maybe females who are competing want to risk it or our unaware that they are pregnant. They could be accused of abortion dopeing when they weren't.
    Indeed. I guess it's always adviable not to compete if you know you are pregant so you don't risk a miscarriage. The amount of time people have fallen during athletics yesterday. What happens if you didn't fall right and damaged the foetus? I understand where you're coming from.

It's unfortunate but sometimes if you want a family you will have to make other sacrifices to do so. I don't know if any children are at a disadvantage if they are constantly looked after by non-parents. There was soemthing on TV about the lack of the maternal bond, I'd assume you can have a paternal bond too.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.