The Student Room Group

A levels Sociology

I'm interested in taking sociology for A levels next year as I am currently taking it for GCSE's.

I've got a few questions and would just like to know what overally A level Sociology is like.

Is there a huge work load?
Does the content require a lot of memorising?
Is the subject hard?

Other information will also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Not huge workload at all, loads of memorising but not too difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
there is loads of memorising but its quite interesting and I've not found its workload that overwhelming so far (started AS in September). Managed to get an A in my first assessment too :smile:
Original post by tfh
I'm interested in taking sociology for A levels next year as I am currently taking it for GCSE's.

I've got a few questions and would just like to know what overally A level Sociology is like.

Is there a huge work load?
Does the content require a lot of memorising?
Is the subject hard?

Other information will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello, I did Sociology at A level and am now studying it at a degree, so obviously I'm a bit biased towards the subject haha!
I would say that the work load depends on what grade you're trying to achieve. If you want to reach an A/A* then you need to do lots of practice essays and papers which can be really time consuming. It also helps to have a deep understanding of the key concepts and a few contemporary examples to act as evidence for your argument, so there is a fair amount of information to learn/memorise.
Sociology isn't the hardest Alevel you can take but it isn't necessarily the easiest either due to the large amount of information and essay writing skills that are required.
Some people find Sociology hard because they might be more skills based and prefer clear logic and straightforward answers e.g. maths, biology, chemistry etc
However if you prefer forming an argument and weighing up different opinions e.g. History, Humanities etc then you might find Sociology easier.
Hope this helped!
Good Luck with the GCSEs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest