Turn on thread page Beta

Phishing Scam: Www.met.police.uk/fraud watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever received this unsolicited e-mail?
    Yes - the exact same
    14.71%
    No
    35.29%
    Something similiar to this e-mail
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    FROM THE DESK OF : MR MARK NIKIEMA .
    AUDITING AND ACCOUNTING SECTION,
    AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK ( A.D.B )
    OUAGADOUGOU BURKINA-FASO,WEST AFRICA.

ATTENTION PLEASE,

I, MR MARK NIKIEMA. AUDITING AND ACCOUNTING SECTION, AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK ( A.D.B ) OUAGADOUGOU BURKINA-FASO,WEST AFRICA. I GOT YOUR CONTACT FROM A YAHOO TOURIST SEARCH.

When i was searching for a foreign partner i assured of your capability and reliability to champion this businees opportunity, when i prayed to God or Allah about you.

In my department we discovered an abandoned sum of $15 million U.S.A dollars ( fifteen million U.S.A dollars).In an account that belongs to one of our foreign customer who died along with his entire family on friday december 26,2003 in plane crash.

Since we got information about his death, we have been expecting his next of kin to come over and claim his money because we cannot release it unless somebody applies for it as next of kin or relation to the deceased as indicated in our banking guidelines, but unfortunately we learnt that all his supposed next of kin or relation died alongside with him at the plane crash leaving nobody behind for the claim.

It is therefore upon this discovery that I and one official in my department ,now decided to make this business proposal to you and release the money to you as the next of kin or relation to the deceased for safety and subsequent disbursement since nobody is coming for it and we dont want this money to go into the bank treasury as unclaimed bill.

The Banking law and guideline here stipulates that if such money remained unclamed after five years, the money will be transfered into the Bank treasury as unclaimed fund. The request of foreigner as next of kin in this business is occasioned by the fact that the customer was a foreigner, and a Burkinabe cannot stand as next of kin to a foreigner.

We agreed that 30 % of this money will be for you as foreign partner,

in respect to the provision of a foreign account, 10 % will be set aside for expenses incured during the business and 60 % would be for me and my woman colleague.

There after I and my colleague will visit your country for disbursement according to the percentages indicated.

Therefore to enable the immediate transfer of this fund to you as arranged,you must apply first to the bank as relations or next of kin of the deceased indicating your bank name, your bank account number, your private telephone number and fax number for easy and effective communication and location where the money will be remitted.

Upon receipt of your reply, I will send to you by fax or email the text of the application I will not fail to bring to your notice that this transaction is hitch free and that you should not entertain any atorm of fear as all required arrangements have been made for the transfer.

Reply me with this e mail address= [Dodgy email address] immediately.

PLANE CRASH WEB SITE .

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa...ash/index.html

POST SCRITUM: You have to keep everything secret as to enable the transfer to move very smoothly into the account that you will provide to the bank.

Yours faithfully,

MR MARK NIKIEMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieBuckJack)
    POST SCRITUM: You have to keep everything secret as to enable the transfer to move very smoothly into the account that you will provide to the bank.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, expect a call off the fonejacker very soon.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get that all the time from a variet of different African banks.

Scams like these are a modern form of Natural Selection - anyone stupid enough to fall for it deserves to lose their money. Well not really but you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    What concerns me the most is that the "Phisher" has included a link to the CNN website which is about the death of a family...

SCARY!

ReputationRep:
    What concerns me the most is that the "Phisher" has included a link to the CNN website which is about the death of a family...

SCARY!
    Not scary - sick. To use a tragedy like a plane crash to try and defraud people out of money is worse than doing so normally.

ReputationRep:
    just get a better spam filter.. i have prob recieved thousands of these

GMAIL spam filter is brilliant - i have around 16,000 emails in my inbox and another 1000 in my spam box so you can see how effective it is. i almost never get any spam in my inbox now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    www.419eater.com

ReputationRep:

*send spam emails*

ReputationRep:
    Do some scambaiting. If you manage to achieve something as epic as what this guy did, you also win the internet. I mean seriously, he managed to get a scammer to send him a personalised carved bust of his own head, AND a video of him performing Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch. What a legend.

ReputationRep:
    I got exactly the same one. I wish we could find out what comapny makes these! I wanna tip my hat to them!

ReputationRep:
    I've gotten emails like that. It's hardly a scam as no one would believe it.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore those emails.

Ps. Fonejacker is very funny.

ReputationRep:
    how dumb do you have to be to fall for these? In all honesty

ReputationRep:
    www.419baiter.com

A guy who responds to all these spam emails from Africa.
    Hilarious.

Probably one of my favourite websites ever :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NSiky)
    Do some scambaiting. If you manage to achieve something as epic as what this guy did, you also win the internet. I mean seriously, he managed to get a scammer to send him a personalised carved bust of his own head, AND a video of him performing Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch. What a legend.
    Oh my god that is so funny. DS Micheal Palin... lol, Juan Trique Ponee, lol... they must be soo dumb!

ReputationRep:
    As a consequence of the Fraud Act 2006 - "Phishing" is now an offence contrary to section 2 thereof. Therefore, the Police seem to be taking e-mail scammers seriously:

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/...t_phishing.htm

"Please send all banking related phishing emails to [email protected]. Queries related to Paypal or Ebay should be sent to [email protected] and [email protected] respectively. Please copy us into any emails that are sent to these organisations."

ReputationRep:
    As a consequence of the Fraud Act 2006 - "Phishing" is now an offence contrary to section 2 thereof. Therefore, the Police seem to be taking e-mail scammers seriously:

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/...t_phishing.htm

"Please send all banking related phishing emails to [email protected]. Queries related to Paypal or Ebay should be sent to [email protected] and [email protected] respectively. Please copy us into any emails that are sent to these organisations."
    http://www.antiphishing.org/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
    how dumb do you have to be to fall for these? In all honesty
    According to http://www.antiphishing.org/ - thousands of Brits fall for these e-mail each year... In some cases people habd over the deeds to their houses etc..

SCARY ****!!

ReputationRep:
    According to http://www.antiphishing.org/ - thousands of Brits fall for these e-mail each year... In some cases people habd over the deeds to their houses etc..

SCARY ****!!
    :rolleyes:

TBH if you're stupid enough to think that someone might want to give you some money for nothing, then I say you deserve everything you get.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.