Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 16 years old and I want to study Medicine and I am aware that I'd have to apply and submit my application next year around this time. However I don't turn 17 until April, and most of the work placements and hospital volunteering in my area requires you to be 17. I have also been told by my teacher that I would have to complete volunteering (preferably at a hospital I presume) for at least 6 months. I have been volunteering but I have had no patient contact yet and my volunteering only consisted of children.

Would it be possible to remove my date of birth from my CV and pretend I'm 17? Would they check?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Hi,

I'm 16 years old and I want to study Medicine and I am aware that I'd have to apply and submit my application next year around this time. However I don't turn 17 until April, and most of the work placements and hospital volunteering in my area requires you to be 17. I have also been told by my teacher that I would have to complete volunteering (preferably at a hospital I presume) for at least 6 months. I have been volunteering but I have had no patient contact yet and my volunteering only consisted of children.

Would it be possible to remove my date of birth from my CV and pretend I'm 17? Would they check?
    Well you want to go into a career where honesty is important,it won't look good if you lied to get experience

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Your date of birth is not something that should be on your CV. Whether any hospital would ask for proof of age or not I do not know.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The hospital will need a reference from your school. A school reference includes the standard things like what year you're in, your date of birth, your grades, your attendance, your work ethic, etc. You can't lie, because if you do, you'll be found out instantly and never get any experience at all.

Nobody is going to let you into their hospital without knowing the basic things about you like your date of birth; hospitals are full of vulnerable patients, so the administrators need to know who they're letting through the doors. You could be anyone at all, with a motive for anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks guys! I won't lie.

ReputationRep:
    I think because of the nature of the type of work you eventually hope to go into, starting off with a lie about your age, before you have even done your first placement might set off alarm bells ringing. Potential employers who find out might think if you can lie so easily about something as simple as your age what else might you be capable of lying about in the future? Don't do it. Ever.

(Original post by markova21)
    I think because of the nature of the type of work you eventually hope to go into, starting off with a lie about your age, before you have even done your first placement might set off alarm bells ringing. Potential employers who find out might think if you can lie so easily about something as simple as your age what else might you be capable of lying about in the future? Don't do it. Ever.
    Not even when you're asked how fast you were driving, or being tortured!

ReputationRep:
    If there's a minimum age they will ask you to prove your age at some point. You will probably need to apply for a CRB check to work in a hospital which will mean using your passport/ID and having various checks which will pretty quickly show your real age. Just take your time, there is a lot of stuff you can be doing - what about working in a care home?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.